Saving the planet

lorenzo

WSJ article today states both GM and Ford pausing EV production increases citing reduced demand/excess inventory as well as changes in Corporate Fuel Economy credit - down from over 250/vehicle to around 70.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, acem said:

How long would it take to charge the battery like that?

Long enough to get tired of waiting, I'll bet.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, acem said:

How long would it take to charge the battery like that?

Quite a while I would reckon. That looks like the little portable chargers, plug into a 15a outlet. IIRC the write up on the hummer EV said something like 7 days with that, 12 hours on the stage 2 charger (40a) and 2 hours on a fast charger. I expect the Lightning would be similar. I will go out on a limb and say that was a staged photo, but not so far from reality. The GMP electric line truck has a diesel pickup towing a diesel generator around behind it as a tender to follow it around during storms or when it has to go out after hours and isn’t fully charged. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Been reading on a few sites, in the next year or so, look for ‘consumer advocacy groups’ to start campaigns aimed at EV manufacturers to redesign towards smaller batteries, and chargers that don’t require a special ‘charging station’, or a retrofit at houses. Their goal is a standard 110v household outlet. Claiming it will make the transition to EV’s a lot more palatable.

Of course the alterior motive is for every house in America a ‘potential charging station’.

Clantestine ‘thieves in the night’ quitely pull up the curb to any house in Anytown USA, run an extension cord from their EV to your outdoor electric plug, and charge on your dime.

6 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Been reading on a few sites, in the next year or so, look for ‘consumer advocacy groups’ to start campaigns aimed at EV manufacturers to redesign towards smaller batteries, and chargers that don’t require a special ‘charging station’, or a retrofit at houses. Their goal is a standard 110v household outlet. Claiming it will make the transition to EV’s a lot more palatable.

Of course the alterior motive is for every house in America a ‘potential charging station’.

Clantestine ‘thieves in the night’ quitely pull up the curb to any house in Anytown USA, run an extension cord from their EV to your outdoor electric plug, and charge on your dime.

Smaller batteries? How will that work? The range is already the problem. It is my understanding that you can charge them now on household current, it just might take a few days. 

10 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Smaller batteries? How will that work? The range is already the problem. It is my understanding that you can charge them now on household current, it just might take a few days. 

I know what you saying, these consumer groups will be demanding quick charge, with smaller batteries, on a standard plug, claiming the EV’s are too heavy, and such. The whole industry is such a boondoggle scam, it’s sickening. Just as bad as the ethanol fuel industry/mandates/screw job.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Quite a while I would reckon. That looks like the little portable chargers, plug into a 15a outlet. IIRC the write up on the hummer EV said something like 7 days with that, 12 hours on the stage 2 charger (40a) and 2 hours on a fast charger. I expect the Lightning would be similar. I will go out on a limb and say that was a staged photo, but not so far from reality. The GMP electric line truck has a diesel pickup towing a diesel generator around behind it as a tender to follow it around during storms or when it has to go out after hours and isn’t fully charged. 

Doesn't have power enough to tow the generator??

That reminds me that I have never seen an electric car with a trailer hitch.  Quite a few electric vehicles around this area, they all like to be at the next stop light first. I am working on a petition  that mandates warning a bell requirement for an electric delivery truck to warn other people  that it is in motion in the neighborhood!