Jump to content

KIDNEY STONES


pt756

Recommended Posts

hello there today, guess I am at that age where pains come and go, but mostly stay, lots of pain in the male plumbing area, so You start going to seek medical help, its a process at least around here, so you start locally, NP is not sure, felt a growth where there shouldnt be a growth, says you need an ultrasound, so a week later, the ultrasound is done, a few days pass, finally somebody reads the results, nothing serious there, pain still bad, they suggest a visit to the ururlogy  dept, would be nov. 21 before an appointment can be had,  but will be put on standby, Meanwhile if pain is bad go to urgent care, so I did, suggested prostrate problem, one moth of antibiotics, Meanwhile call regular NP back he said maybe go to urgent care if pain is that bad again, Well then an appointment did come up last week with the urolgy dept, NP said you are going to be here awhile judging from the amount of pain I was having,, so after a careful examination, she said you need a ct scan, so got one a short while later, NP was sure now kidney stones, but I need to scope it out to be sure,  really didnt enjoy that part either, part way thru she calls for a doctor to come and look, cant find the stone, at that point I didnt care what they done as long as they found something, well good news, no masses, or tumors and so far no kidney stones, so 3 days later still hurts like a bugger, NP suggested a new prescription must be something else,  so first time I have experienced problems in that area,  I have heard stories about stones still not sure of what is going on,

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, pt756 said:

hello there today, guess I am at that age where pains come and go, but mostly stay, lots of pain in the male plumbing area, so You start going to seek medical help, its a process at least around here, so you start locally, NP is not sure, felt a growth where there shouldnt be a growth, says you need an ultrasound, so a week later, the ultrasound is done, a few days pass, finally somebody reads the results, nothing serious there, pain still bad, they suggest a visit to the ururlogy  dept, would be nov. 21 before an appointment can be had,  but will be put on standby, Meanwhile if pain is bad go to urgent care, so I did, suggested prostrate problem, one moth of antibiotics, Meanwhile call regular NP back he said maybe go to urgent care if pain is that bad again, Well then an appointment did come up last week with the urolgy dept, NP said you are going to be here awhile judging from the amount of pain I was having,, so after a careful examination, she said you need a ct scan, so got one a short while later, NP was sure now kidney stones, but I need to scope it out to be sure,  really didnt enjoy that part either, part way thru she calls for a doctor to come and look, cant find the stone, at that point I didnt care what they done as long as they found something, well good news, no masses, or tumors and so far no kidney stones, so 3 days later still hurts like a bugger, NP suggested a new prescription must be something else,  so first time I have experienced problems in that area,  I have heard stories about stones still not sure of what is going on,

Kidney stones will knock you down and out. I've had one. My sister has had one and said it was worse than giving birth.... Idk about that but she's had 3 kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At my age, my best buddy is the internal medicine specialist and next is the urologist, cardiologist and the local emergency room. Now that I am in with the specialist I rarely see the family doctor, local Walgreens provides vaccinations for whatever. 

My medical drawer has the correct size catheter for my plumbing and I have used one. It is about like pulling your tooth.

About the only thing good about a large city area is an abundance of medical specialists and general care providers.

Good luck with your issues AND if you don't like your care find another medical facility!

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stumbled across a very, very good urologist / surgeon recently.  He'll spend 20 or 30 minutes if necessary to explain what's going on and what he's going to do about it, and he never acts like he's in a hurry to get on to the next patient.  He's done a little repair/maintenance on me during the last 9 months or so, and each time he's called me in the evening to check my progress and answer questions.

I think he's a rare bird, but I'd sure recommend finding someone like him.  It may take quite a bit of looking.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

Kidney stones will knock you down and out. I've had one. My sister has had one and said it was worse than giving birth.... Idk about that but she's had 3 kids.

My mom said the same think and that was before epidural, I had a small one, suffered off and on for 12 months, it was weird that it would come and go and I finally passed it, it was worse in the winter, when you would go outside your organs must shrink or shift a bit with the cold. I was working night shift in the power plant and drove past a major hospital on the way home, I swear I never took a breathe in 40 miles to get home, then thought maybe I should have gone to ER, then thought don't be silly every wounded animal goes back into their den to die. The worst is from the kidney to the bladder, it is gravity feed and things can start backing up, once you get it into the bladder you have pressure to push it along the way, you won't want to but you can. 🥵

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

My mom said the same think and that was before epidural, I had a small one, suffered off and on for 12 months, it was weird that it would come and go and I finally passed it, it was worse in the winter, when you would go outside your organs must shrink or shift a bit with the cold. I was working night shift in the power plant and drove past a major hospital on the way home, I swear I never took a breathe in 40 miles to get home, then thought maybe I should have gone to ER, then thought don't be silly every wounded animal goes back into their den to die. The worst is from the kidney to the bladder, it is gravity feed and things can start backing up, once you get it into the bladder you have pressure to push it along the way, you won't want to but you can. 🥵

My MIL is having issues with this, hers is all cancer related, but just as you talk about things backing up and pressure, it has been a miserable go for her for about 6-8 months now. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never had a kidney stone but had a gallbladder stone(bad pain) but wanted to share a good friend story 

He got kidney stones a lot and kept getting more and more of them. Dr said to quit eating or drinking anything with calcium, but they were getting worse. He went to a different Dr. and he said to drink lots of milk and other calcium products and never got one again. Dr said it’s because when you don’t take calcium in, your body pulls it from your bones and that causes stones. I’m not saying it would work for you but it information. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember mixing and drinking lime juice and oil, the theory was the oil lubed and citris dissolved, it wasn't the nicest to put down but it definitely didn't hurt things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had one once. I was in college and broke. Didn't have insurance and I went to the university infirmary place. Explained my symptoms. Doctor says "You have [some STD, can't remember which]". Without getting crude here, I'll just say I told him that was literally impossible. He didn't care. Made me take a walk of shame to the lab, where the crass nurse was all "Sheila where are the cups for STD tests!!??" at a dull roar for the whole place to hear. I do the cup thing, because they're holding my prescription hostage first. I get my prescription and have to go to class. I'm back at my place and my roommate who's a nursing student sees the paper prescription and goes "whoa that's a heavy prescription for [some antibiotic]. They usually give that for STD's." I'm (very angry). I don't know drugs. I ask, and find out this won't do anything at all for pain, or to resolve a kidney stone, which prior to even going to the Dr, I'd kinda self diagnosed. Obviously I didn't bother paying to fill that prescription. Of course, it was a Friday. I passed the stone over the weekend. SUPREMELY painful. Dr calls me (actually the guy himself, not a nurse) on Monday and says "your test came back negative". He's lucky he didn't tell me in person. He'd have been Doctor Hamburgermeatface.

So, Doctors don't always have it squared away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had 3 kidney stone attacks over the years so far in my life. They are MURDEROUS! 

My advice- DO NOT get kidney stones. I am trying to prevent further attacks through watching my diet. I am hooked up with a urologist and so get checked annually. I am currently kidney stone free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, oleman said:

At my age, my best buddy is the internal medicine specialist and next is the urologist, cardiologist and the local emergency room. Now that I am in with the specialist I rarely see the family doctor, local Walgreens provides vaccinations for whatever. 

My medical drawer has the correct size catheter for my plumbing and I have used one. It is about like pulling your tooth.

About the only thing good about a large city area is an abundance of medical specialists and general care providers.

Good luck with your issues AND if you don't like your care find another medical facility!

 

 

 

There is not an abundance of medical specialists.

My wife needed a gastroenterologist and it was impossible to get in.

We finally ended up at the Sanford ER in Sioux Falls.

She soon had a gastroenterologist, the problem was found by noon the next day and fixed.

Sanford has hospital wings closed because of a lack of doctors, nurses and all the other support staff.

The doctors are getting so rich they don't need the money so they refuse to work on Friday's.

I had a bout with bladder cancer and it was caught early and turned out well. 

I am coming up on my annual checkup and that is far from fun.

Messing around in the nether regions can be very painful and uncomfortable.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...