806....something doesn't seem right about it

Takn4aFool

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

I believe '65? Was the last year for clamshells? I've got a couple sets of the odd '66 flat tops with no right side hand hole. '67 I think they went to hand hole in both fenders.

Our 806 wore clamshells from new. It's a later 67 model.   It possibly could have been ordered fender delete then clamshells ordered extra I guess. It never wore flat tops though.

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

Our 806 wore clamshells from new. It's a later 67 model.   It possibly could have been ordered fender delete then clamshells ordered extra I guess. It never wore flat tops though.

Most likely. Seams every clamshell in existence got tossed for flat tops. I'd bet the dealer swapped out a set and had the clamshells sitting around.

Now a days I'll buy ever set of clamshells I can find, I like them.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:40 AM, stronger800 said:

I want to say, when I was looking for an 806 cast grill for a neighbor, that I took my 856 grill and it snapped right in to his 806.  It’s possible the pins on the bottom were not right though.  I think I remember I was going to drill the bottom of his casting, thread and stick cut off  bolts in there for pins 

I have an 806 and 856….but that grill is heavy. I hate to disturb it 4F1931D5-8023-46AC-978D-A7C4C975626A.thumb.jpeg.0504fa5fa636a78a751847fb754feeab.jpeg

I had to go look and none of the 3 806's we have here, have the upper holes for the 56 style spring loaded pins in the casting.

12 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

I believe '65? Was the last year for clamshells? I've got a couple sets of the odd '66 flat tops with no right side hand hole. '67 I think they went to hand hole in both fenders.

I think all of 1965 production had flat top fenders but I swear it was a running change by serial number in the latter stages of 1964 production. I'll leave a caveat that it could have lapped over into early '65 since a new model year started on 1 November of the year prior. 1967 production open station tractors came with hand grips in both fenders and the corresponding double step on both sides. Prior to that, there was a single step on the 7-806 and my 1206 parts book dated December of '65 denotes a single step on the left side with the exact same p/n as my 806 book from June of '66.

We're venturing deep into the weeds on this one....