806....something doesn't seem right about it

Takn4aFool

4 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Did the last 06’s have that grill ?

Not from the factory.

It was a serial number running change but all '67 production had the heavier 856 three point, which this one does not. I know of two actual late '67's still at their original homes in the same township with 856 3pt's and factory 935 White fenders.

Just now, Mr. Plow said:

Factory white fenders, or dealer installed (at time of purchase) take offs from 1206's that got aftermarket cabs?

Nope. From the plant with white fenders on both. The coolest part is they still live at their first homes only miles apart.

In the 1967 film In The Heat of The Night there's an 806 with white rear wheels. Granted, it's a movie, but there's also a 1206 and it's in stock colors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Nope. From the plant with white fenders on both. The coolest part is they still live at their first homes only miles apart.

In the 1967 film In The Heat of The Night there's an 806 with white rear wheels. Granted, it's a movie, but there's also a 1206 and it's in stock colors.

Love that movie and  IH dealership downtown 

Only way you can install an 856 grill in an 806 is to change entire cast radiator housing,  I also see the front bolster doesn't have the hole for the hand crank. I'd bet the entire front end has been changed at 1 point.

As for the rear, those are just the ugly 86 series 6 hole style 38" centers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Not from the factory.

It was a serial number running change but all '67 production had the heavier 856 three point, which this one does not. I know of two actual late '67's still at their original homes in the same township with 856 3pt's and factory 935 White fenders.

Wouldn’t it be 901 white yet???

8 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Here’s our 806.   Got it this way 25+years ago.  

BB8E7514-9C18-4409-9936-A6920988F3EA.jpeg

A3719127-46B7-4C28-BA33-8B67BDD04031.jpeg

2A9CD8E1-3390-4610-BC55-7BC83B1D2455.jpeg

• Like 3

I want to say, when I was looking for an 806 cast grill for a neighbor, that I took my 856 grill and it snapped right in to his 806.  It’s possible the pins on the bottom were not right though.  I think I remember I was going to drill the bottom of his casting, thread and stick cut off  bolts in there for pins 

I have an 806 and 856….but that grill is heavy. I hate to disturb it 4F1931D5-8023-46AC-978D-A7C4C975626A.thumb.jpeg.0504fa5fa636a78a751847fb754feeab.jpeg

• Like 3

I replaced the front bolster for my 856 several years ago. It came with the radiator support. I changed them out together. When I tried to put the grill and side panels on they didn't fit. I figured out it came off an 806...

A neighbor bought a new 706 (late model with D310. Came from the dealership with white fenders. Very few cabs installed on new tractors here back then.

27 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I want to say, when I was looking for an 806 cast grill for a neighbor, that I took my 856 grill and it snapped right in to his 806.  It’s possible the pins on the bottom were not right though.  I think I remember I was going to drill the bottom of his casting, thread and stick cut off  bolts in there for pins 

I have an 806 and 856….but that grill is heavy. I hate to disturb it 4F1931D5-8023-46AC-978D-A7C4C975626A.thumb.jpeg.0504fa5fa636a78a751847fb754feeab.jpeg

The 856 has 2 spring pins at top the 806 has one in the center.   Not sure if you could just drill two hole to accept 856 grille in 806 or not.  

7 hours ago, Jacka said:

Love that movie and  IH dealership downtown 

The movie was shot in Sparta, Illinois, due to racial tensions in Mississippi at the time.  Our friend Alan lives just a few miles from that town, and knew the dealer.

I well remember the shop scenes. 

What changes were made to the early 3 point hitches?   I can't detect any differences from the pics.

6 hours ago, nate said:

The 856 has 2 spring pins at top the 806 has one in the center.   Not sure if you could just drill two hole to accept 856 grille in 806 or not.  

Maybe that’s what I was remembering. Physically, it fit in there and I remember thinking it would not have been hard to make it attach securely

12 hours ago, Steve C. said:

The movie was shot in Sparta, Illinois, due to racial tensions in Mississippi at the time.  Our friend Alan lives just a few miles from that town, and knew the dealer.

I well remember the shop scenes. 

What changes were made to the early 3 point hitches?   I can't detect any differences from the pics.

They have heavier vertical links but equally as important was the heavier lower load sensing pivot shaft. That same lower pivot shaft and seal fixture was so durable it essentially remained in production with a few changes until the end of the show in 1984. You can see the heavier style vertical links on the shot of the 806 with the stalk shredder. Same basic setup lingered until the late 66 Series when the square adjustment tubes arrived to replace the crank system. Wheel adjustment wrench handle was supposed to be properly inserted into the corresponding socket on the turnbuckle to adjust the arms, which offered more leverage to overcome dirt and could be adjusted in the raised position with a cab tractor.

When 1206s were brand new, I once saw a brand new 1206  on the IH dealer's lot with the white "clam-shell" fenders. It's the only 1206 I've ever seen equipped like that. And it was a FARMALL version, not a wheat land. And again these were the clam-shell style fenders, and painted white, NOT the full coverage fenders like you would expect on a wheat land.  I never gave it any thought back in the day, but now all these years later, I am curious. Did IH offer their 1206s with the clam-shell fenders as an option? This machine was setting on the IH dealer lot of Ida Implement, located on Lewis Avenue outside of Ida, Michigan.

Maybe the dealer did some kind of goofy "one-off" modification for some reason, once the tractor arrived at the dealership, who  knows now. Maybe they took an ice cream box cab off of it to put on another tractor, and put the clam-shells on this one after painting them white? I guess we'll never know. lol

6 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

When 1206s were brand new, I once saw a brand new 1206  on the IH dealer's lot with the white "clam-shell" fenders. It's the only 1206 I've ever seen equipped like that. And it was a FARMALL version, not a wheat land. And again these were the clam-shell style fenders, and painted white, NOT the full coverage fenders like you would expect on a wheat land.  I never gave it any thought back in the day, but now all these years later, I am curious. Did IH offer their 1206s with the clam-shell fenders as an option? This machine was setting on the IH dealer lot of Ida Implement, located on Lewis Avenue outside of Ida, Michigan.

Maybe the dealer did some kind of goofy "one-off" modification for some reason, once the tractor arrived at the dealership, who  knows now. Maybe they took an ice cream box cab off of it to put on another tractor, and put the clam-shells on this one after painting them white? I guess we'll never know. lol

The clam shell fenders vanished prior to the introduction of the 1206, at least officially, and aren't in the IH parts book as an option.

17 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

The clam shell fenders vanished prior to the introduction of the 1206, at least officially, and aren't in the IH parts book as an option.

I believe '65? Was the last year for clamshells? I've got a couple sets of the odd '66 flat tops with no right side hand hole. '67 I think they went to hand hole in both fenders.

46 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

Interesting. OK thanks Drysleeves.

So yah Ida Implement themselves must have done something goofy with this one after they took delivery of it from the factory.