Counter-productive innovations

Dirt_Floor_Poor

3 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

You ought to try them after a couple years of NY road salt. 

You know they work great during assembly at the factory. That’s all that matters, right? In this particular application I think gravel dust and dirt seem to be the main issues. It is a nightmare trying to get the tool in the lines to release the prongs because of debris. Then there is a short piece of barely flexible hose on a steel line that you can’t hardly move around to get it off of the filter. Then the filter is wedged between the frame and the fuel tank. Of course there isn’t enough room to pry it out of the clamp either, why would there be? Why every single filter on the face of the earth isn’t a spin on remains a mystery to me. 

• Like 2

Even the threaded ones mounted on the frame become impossible to change after a few years of salt. Quick disconnect plastic fuel lines seem to work OK such as those on fuel pumps. The steel ring holding plastic pumps in plastic tanks the weak point in the salt belt.

I use dab on grease in many places during reassembly, oring connectors are a good candidate for it .

From a manufacturing standpoint an oring grove is one quick plunge to cut …. threads take more time$$$ 

I doubt most of us could afford a well made truck these days…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just Dave said:

I use dab on grease in many places during reassembly, oring connectors are a good candidate for it .

From a manufacturing standpoint an oring grove is one quick plunge to cut …. threads take more time$$$ 

I doubt most of us could afford a well made truck these days…

I can't afford a poorly made new truck these days!!!!!

• Like 10

On the subject of ‘counter productive innovations’ narrative, two glaring examples popped into my head, almost instantaneously that would be the whole DPF/DEF/Regen scam, and the ethanol fuel boondoggle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree, after several hours and 3 different types of disconnect tools I remember snapping the nipples off a fuel pump and replacing it unnecessarily because the tools i could get wouldn’t fit in due to the fuel pump design.  Hose clamps and compression/flare fittings worked marvelously compared to those. 

• Like 2

Ah Yes ! I remember it well ! Cut off fitting ,put compression fittings on lines in it ,a hose barb. And high pressure clamp. High pressure hose . 
Stopped the cussing for that job anyways. 

• Like 2

How about the self tapping box mounting bolts that Ford used for awhile. 

Star head and don't know how many bits I broke trying to get them out to remove a box

I'm sure they were fast for assembly at the plant but a real she bear to get out. 

On the fuel lines, I think I still have the tool and also used ORing picks, never had to deal with salt issues. 

• Like 2

One problem in addition to the dirt and corrosion is having the right tool. My friends shop has an OTC kit that seems to have every type ever invented. It's a couple hundred bucks. When using the right tool they work quite well if clean. Plastic lines easy with no corrosion.

I've never had problems with the fuel line fittings. My frustration is the "unit bearings". Whatever Jack-Apple thought stacking two tiny 10mm bearings next to each other and leveraging 10,000 lbs all off one end while banging down the road was a good idea should be put out to pasture. I literally have a PILE of these good for nothings I've replaced. I just put two Motorcraft in my truck. Not even 500 miles and the drivers side is grinding and growling already. $_##$_-_!!! What's wrong with one bearing on either side of the hub like we had for centuries?

IMG_20230920_200039977.thumb.jpg.67cdc92893e5f30cc96416f70e0ac916.jpg

IMG_20230920_200028864.thumb.jpg.15a1847048ed8acd58eb4e2d72fa6f0f.jpg

This is the bearing growling. I'll take great joy in dispensing it with some black powder...

• Sad 1

I worked almost a lifetime in different govt agencies, either they were recycling an old idea a decade later, not sure why if it was so great to begin with it fell out of practice or bringing in something new that industry had tried previously years earlier and failed that was the new best thing, if your around long enough it's a big circle and the only thing new is the spin doctors new plan 😳 but hey we are working towards cancel culture and history so the future looks brighter than ever 🤬

• Like 1

Spare tire winches, on newer GM vehicles.....OBVIOUSLY designed at the HIGHEST levels of the engineering staff!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

The ONLY upside to those miserable....%$##$$$$##$$$........things is that, when the service manager walks into the customer lounge with his clip-board and starts telling you everything they found on their 200 point inspection, you say, "The spare tire comes out like it's supposed too, right?       END OF CONVERSATION!!!!😶 (The look on his/her face will be priceless, tho!!)

Mike

That question works best when you are there for something else besides the spare carrier. 

10 hours ago, mikem said:

Spare tire winches, on newer GM

Ha! Yeah, I accessed the spare with torch twice on previous trucks when the "safety lock" wouldn't release due to rust. At least they finally did away with that and just let the winch hold it up. I tested mine last oil change and filled the winch with Fluid Film while it was down. Hopefully it will work if I ever need it. Truck smelled like sheep for a day.

5 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

That’s why we call FF “sheep grease” at work 🙃   

I know I’ll get flamed for this, but I nominate modern computers as the most counterproductive innovation of all time

The internet is a love/hate relationship for me. 

As an example, for all the good and useful things I get from it....here I sit on the forum when I should be out vaccinating and retagging replacement heifers🙄     🤣

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 12:25 AM, hardtail said:

I worked almost a lifetime in different govt agencies, either they were recycling an old idea a decade later, not sure why if it was so great to begin with it fell out of practice or bringing in something new that industry had tried previously years earlier and failed that was the new best thing, if your around long enough it's a big circle and the only thing new is the spin doctors new plan 😳 but hey we are working towards cancel culture and history so the future looks brighter than ever 🤬

IIRC didn't double breasted suits get another run too?

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 10:13 AM, 766 Man said:

All these "innovations" came about because they lowered the cost of manufacturing a vehicle.  

Yes, the parts are cheaper but they also make it so the person installing them doesn’t need to be as skilled. It allows for cheaper labor. Instead of actually knowing how to install a particular hose. How far to put it on, what direction to point it, how to install a clamp, how tight to make it now all you need to know is line up the two white lines and push till it clicks. A monkey could probably be trained to do it. It’s faster and less likely to leak. Why wouldn’t manufacturer want to do it this way.