2017 ram 2500

cjf711

Anyone out there have a ram 2500 with the coil rear suspension that pulls anything?  We have a 20 stock trailer so nothing huge,  wondering how the coil rear works on pulling a gooseneck, or wagons, general farm use stuff?

been looking for a 3500 for awhile and just not finding anything unless it’s pretty ragged out.  Seems like there are many many 3/4 tons available though

51 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

Anyone out there have a ram 2500 with the coil rear suspension that pulls anything?  We have a 20 stock trailer so nothing huge,  wondering how the coil rear works on pulling a gooseneck, or wagons, general farm use stuff?

been looking for a 3500 for awhile and just not finding anything unless it’s pretty ragged out.  Seems like there are many many 3/4 tons available though

Friend of mine has one and he says it’s the best thing ever. He says that about everything he has ever bought though, until he buys the next thing (he is always right). But currently he is happy. 

• Like 1

I wondered about this too when we were looking at trucks. Ultimately ended up with a new ram 3500 as prices on used were dang near the same as new at the time. People I talked to seemed happy with the coil spring set up though. Never treat drove one to compare ride quality but for a 1 ton dads new truck rides pretty nice. 

• Like 1

Can't help you with a 2500, but the last 2 1500s that I have owned have had rear coils.  I haven't noticed much difference when towing or loaded heavy over leafs.  Have put a 7000# enclosed trailer on the back, but not for very many miles, so I have put some load on them.  I will say the coils ride really nice when empty. 

The one thing I haven't looked into is what is available for either slightly heavier coils (if that is what is desired) or if you can put airbags in with the coils.  I don't see that being an issue, but maybe something I would look into that before investing.

• Like 2

Funny decades ago they went from coils to leafs because it wasn't robust enough to handle a real load time and again and here we are recycling an idea and spinning it to be the best thing 😳 Also challenges to keep the diff firmly situated where it's supposed to reside with all the arms and bushings over time.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

image.thumb.jpeg.0987c52b1a3fff98af2b13d406540dda.jpeg

Whelp we bought an 18 2500 with 104000 on it.  when i started with the cattle we had an old 70's chevy 1 ton flat with cattle racks that was my grandpas we hauled with,  then after borrowed a neighbors bumper pull 12' trailer.   Had a cheapo 16' gooseneck that was a DOT nightmare after that that we put a new floor in but had no brakes and rarely any lights that we pulled with my dads 1 ton ford.  Have come a LONG way to this set up!  Truck is just a tradesman trim but its still really nice to drive around in.   Empty it rides almost as good as a half ton!   

Hope she holds up for us!  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0987c52b1a3fff98af2b13d406540dda.jpeg

Whelp we bought an 18 2500 with 104000 on it.  when i started with the cattle we had an old 70's chevy 1 ton flat with cattle racks that was my grandpas we hauled with,  then after borrowed a neighbors bumper pull 12' trailer.   Had a cheapo 16' gooseneck that was a DOT nightmare after that that we put a new floor in but had no brakes and rarely any lights that we pulled with my dads 1 ton ford.  Have come a LONG way to this set up!  Truck is just a tradesman trim but its still really nice to drive around in.   Empty it rides almost as good as a half ton!   

Hope she holds up for us!  

Rear coils?  What do you think pulling this far?

45 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

Mine handles this load without any problems so far.IMG_0533.JPG

That is one pretty truck. 

2 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

2 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Different strokes for different place but I think the "Mermaids" here in Oz would have a rule book attack if they saw that

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

My truck looks just like yours except it's a 3500 long bed. It has coil springs with factory air bags as well. Does a great job with the 17,000 lb toy hauler.

2 hours ago, TriStripe1086 said:

My truck looks just like yours except it's a 3500 long bed. It has coil springs with factory air bags as well. Does a great job with the 17,000 lb toy hauler.

You mean 2500? The 3500 is leaf springs or with optional air bags.