No serial number 5288

jimw

50 minutes ago, acem said:

My early 5488 has tilt wheel and the remote levers were updated to the new style.

Round front axle could be Early but not conclusive.

@88seriesrestorer (Mike links at triple r tractors) would probably know how to tell.

Tilt wheel was offered as a retrofit package after it debuted and is still on the parts reference but surely NLA or really hard to find.

I think every thing we’ve ever had, has the original serial tag on it. I’m also sure there’s no record of anything. I’m not even sure the dealers record the serial numbers in their computers  anymore when you buy something new.  Because they seem to ask for the numbers when I’m looking for parts  and atleast pretend anyway that they have no way to verify it themselves 

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Did he get his money back from the auction?  Or did he loose his initial investment?

Seems that the auction company should be somewhat liable for ensuring things they sell aren't stolen.

No. He did not get his money back. Had to buy it twice. Three times actually! He lost that farm a few years later. A family member bought it at the sale and sold it back to him for what it costed at the sale. He finally sold it off a few years later.

I would never knowingly buy anything that was stolen, but I don’t know that I would worry too much about this particular tractor just because it was missing a tag. Also since it is missing the tag it’s very unlikely anyone would ever be able to claim it after your legitimate purchase. I don’t know how banks or insurance companies would view it, if that matters to you. If the local crack head is the one selling it at a fire sale price, I’d look elsewhere. Otherwise carry on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To the OP, does the tractor have any evidence of loader mounts being attached to the frame?

There used to be several 50 series IHs around here with no/missing serial # plates due to Farmhand loader mounts covering up the SN tag area when installed. The constant twisting/torquing/turning of the loader would eventually pull the SN plate off the side of the tractor. Our old parts manager used to have a book up at the parts counter that had listed the original SNs on these tractors for parts references....his wife was our bookkeeper at the time, so she had access to old paperwork from the time those tractors were sold new. Now, if a tractor came in from outside of our area, then it was about impossible to find the original SN.

The only problem I can remember regarding this was one time a local bank would NOT give a customer a loan to buy a 50/5288 we had on the lot due to lack of a known serial #. They had just been through a situation a couple years before this regarding a Ford pickup that had had the cab replaced on it with a different/incorrect VIN number. I don't recall all the particulars in the case, but as I understood it, two different parties had some kind of claim to ownership on this vehicle. In the end, the bank had to refund the loan for the one party AND pay some $$$ to the other party over the whole deal. Needless to say, they didn't want to go through this all over again....so they denied the loan. The guy went to another bank...and they more or less gave him a loan with no questions asked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I would never knowingly buy anything that was stolen, but I don’t know that I would worry too much about this particular tractor just because it was missing a tag. Also since it is missing the tag it’s very unlikely anyone would ever be able to claim it after your legitimate purchase. I don’t know how banks or insurance companies would view it, if that matters to you. If the local crack head is the one selling it at a fire sale price, I’d look elsewhere. Otherwise carry on. 

I know since the 1980's a lot of dealer open houses at least here had a NYS trooper or county sheriff's deputy come speak to the attendee's about placing identifying marks in obscure spots so a recovery may be possible if stolen.  Further, that such marks were on file with a law enforcement agency.  Thieves tend to be a lot more "professional" than the local drug addict who could not keep the brown spots on his underwear a secret.  It's been said by law enforcement that if your stolen equipment is not spotted within 4-6 hours after 1st noted as being missing it most likely will be 100's of miles away after the first 24 hours elapses.  It makes us feel better to think of thieves being stupid and poorly organized but 95 percent of the time that assumption is the furthest from the truth.  I am far away from the Corn Belt where expensive equipment is very easy to find but I routinely hear of equipment coming up missing.  Even old "junk."  

9 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

I know since the 1980's a lot of dealer open houses at least here had a NYS trooper or county sheriff's deputy come speak to the attendee's about placing identifying marks in obscure spots so a recovery may be possible if stolen.  Further, that such marks were on file with a law enforcement agency.  Thieves tend to be a lot more "professional" than the local drug addict who could not keep the brown spots on his underwear a secret.  It's been said by law enforcement that if your stolen equipment is not spotted within 4-6 hours after 1st noted as being missing it most likely will be 100's of miles away after the first 24 hours elapses.  It makes us feel better to think of thieves being stupid and poorly organized but 95 percent of the time that assumption is the furthest from the truth.  I am far away from the Corn Belt where expensive equipment is very easy to find but I routinely hear of equipment coming up missing.  Even old "junk."  

We had a skid loader stolen and told law enforcement who we thought took it. They told us to call our insurance and get a new one because they’ll never find it. I guess I just have little faith that even if it is actually stolen, that it would ever be returned. It’s possible, but not likely enough that I would worry about it. I just don’t know that I would worry that much about a missing tag on a tractor that age. I have watched numerous tags over the years become illegible or fall off of many pieces of machinery we bought new. If this tractor was five years old and was a $250,000+ purchase and had no tag, I’d be worried. If the OP has reservations, just forget it. It won’t be hard to find another. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDman said:

To the OP, does the tractor have any evidence of loader mounts being attached to the frame?

There used to be several 50 series IHs around here with no/missing serial # plates due to Farmhand loader mounts covering up the SN tag area when installed. The constant twisting/torquing/turning of the loader would eventually pull the SN plate off the side of the tractor. Our old parts manager used to have a book up at the parts counter that had listed the original SNs on these tractors for parts references....his wife was our bookkeeper at the time, so she had access to old paperwork from the time those tractors were sold new. Now, if a tractor came in from outside of our area, then it was about impossible to find the original SN.

The only problem I can remember regarding this was one time a local bank would NOT give a customer a loan to buy a 50/5288 we had on the lot due to lack of a known serial #. They had just been through a situation a couple years before this regarding a Ford pickup that had had the cab replaced on it with a different/incorrect VIN number. I don't recall all the particulars in the case, but as I understood it, two different parties had some kind of claim to ownership on this vehicle. In the end, the bank had to refund the loan for the one party AND pay some $$$ to the other party over the whole deal. Needless to say, they didn't want to go through this all over again....so they denied the loan. The guy went to another bank...and they more or less gave him a loan with no questions asked.

back when parts book was used our long time ih parts guy put your name and serial number on inside cover so if you called for parts he knew what machine number was. most of his parts books had 50 to 100 serial numbers listed

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

back when parts book was used our long time ih parts guy put your name and serial number on inside cover so if you called for parts he knew what machine number was. most of his parts books had 50 to 100 serial numbers listed

Our dealer has all our equipment on file and has all history of anything else in their system if previous owners had them as a dealer 

I guess I kinda expect dealers to have your machinery in their records. My dealer stills has our 8850 on file and that thing left the farm in 96’.  And neither dealer that we traded it off at and do business with today existed back then 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimw said:

No AWD spot but could have had a loader as it came from what used to be a dairy farm . The 4th hydraulic lever is broke off . Yes Dale that is 17 on the casting but I think it’s the last number. Shows 8086 hrs . 

What’s the letter behind it? I don’t know if IH continued the alphabet date code on the 88 series but if you an decipher letter. It will tell you that transmission housing was built 6/17 of that year. So it would be a later serial for year of trans casting build. Other major castings will have dates to. It will get you into a smaller serial no range.

20 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I guess I kinda expect dealers to have your machinery in their records. My dealer stills has our 8850 on file and that thing left the farm in 96’.  And neither dealer that we traded it off at and do business with today existed back then 

I don't recall any dealers doing that around here back in the day.