No serial number 5288

jimw

There's 3 spots that have dates actually printed on them or stamped in.

"Original" outside chrome door handles will have the date stamped on the back under the linkage.

Oil cooler behind the radiator will have a printed date on it.  Has to be out of the tractor to find.

The fiberglass headliner will also have a date printed on it. It's toward the rear side, near the cab filter area.  Also must be taken out and cleaned up to see.

These dates are NOT exactly when the tractor was built, but when those parts were built or may have installed and give a close idea to what year it was built 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tractorholic said:

Why?

My fears would be that the machine could have been involved in a crime in the past- ie: It may have been stolen. 

Or- Not having a serial number could make it difficult to determine what model year the tractor is.

Or- Not having a serial number could make it difficult to determine what replacement parts may be needed for repairs, as parts or design may have changed during the course of a model’s production run, and the serial number helps determine when a parts change or design change may have been ordered during production. And have you ever been to a parts counter to buy parts for anything and the parts guy tells you he needs the serial number of your machine to find the proper part?

Who the h-ll goes ripping serial number tags off tractors anyways. It seems you’d have to remove them on purpose for some ill intent- as I said because it got stolen, or someone is trying to mis-represent what model year the tractor is for some reason. 

So, no serial number =
no sale with me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Personally, I would never buy a tractor without it having its serial tag. 

While I agree that it's less than ideal for several reason. If the price is right, whatever it's hooked won't know the difference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick G. said:

My fears would be that the machine could have been involved in a crime in the past- ie: It may have been stolen. 

Or- Not having a serial number could make it difficult to determine what model year the tractor is.

Or- Not having a serial number could make it difficult to determine what replacement parts may be needed for repairs, as parts or design may have changed during the course of a model’s production run, and the serial number helps determine when a parts change or design change may have been ordered during production. And have you ever been to a parts counter to buy parts for anything and the parts guy tells you he needs the serial number of your machine to find the proper part?

Who the h-ll goes ripping serial number tags off tractors anyways. It seems you’d have to remove them on purpose for some ill intent- as I said because it got stolen, or someone is trying to mis-represent what model year the tractor is for some reason. 

So, no serial number =
no sale with me. 

Stolen tractors seem to be cyclical and with the economy tough for many lately I would not be surprised to learn that theft is on the increase.  Around a dozen years back one of the area JD dealers had a couple of high dollar tractors stolen.  Never recovered to my knowledge.  When that 5288 was made was a time when stolen farm equipment was a very large issue.  Odds are the tag is off due to theft versus a whim of an eccentric farmer.  Lately, I have seen a few Farmall H's w/o tags and am skeptical that they just flaked off.

• Like 1

Yes this was on Bisman,  very decent guy but hard to get ahold of due to his job. I was told the family bought the tractor in 90 so guessing it’s a 2 owner tractor, 3 with me . But who knows. People tend to forget things over the years.

In the early 90s my uncle bought a 970 Case at auction. A few years later had it serviced to repair the power-shift. Shortly after that, the tractor was repossessed. Turned out it had been stolen prior to his purchase at the auction. The service work at the dealership made the serial number pop up in the system. I always thought it odd that the auction sale didn't flag the number first. He bought it back again at the sheriff sale. Said it was a good machine and he knew the trans had no hours on it.

49 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

Turned out it had been stolen prior to his purchase at the auction. The service work at the dealership made the serial number pop up in the system. I always thought it odd that the auction sale didn't flag the number first.

Did he get his money back from the auction?  Or did he loose his initial investment?

Seems that the auction company should be somewhat liable for ensuring things they sell aren't stolen.

9 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Did he get his money back from the auction?  Or did he loose his initial investment?

Seems that the auction company should be somewhat liable for ensuring things they sell aren't stolen.

Back in those days I would imagine auction companies paid no attention to stolen farm equipment unless they had to comply with a state law regarding reporting all serial numbers that come through.  The couple pieces of equipment that I bought in the last year from the local auction yard did not have a serial number noted on the bill of sale even though they had an ID (serial number) tag on them.  No serial number tag should be a red flag to any buyer.  There are those of course who are easily misled as to why a tag is not on a piece of equipment.