Did something a little different this morning.

vtfireman85

All of us have been touched by cancer one way or another. I could go on as probably everyone could, but a friend on the FD recently had her own round with breast cancer. She asked me if I would walk with her in the Susan G. Komen walk today and I said I would. I have my reservations about this, as I do all major fundraisers as to how much money goes to the cause, but either way the business sponsored me and I paid my $25. Took my daughter along and we had a good time. 
Point of all this is I was very surprised, it left me with an unexpected good feeling, I had very little but one thing in common with almost all of the people there, but it was a united group without hidden agendas. 
If you haven’t been involved in something like this, I highly suggest it, pick your cause, but it was a good thing. 

IMG_2132.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Been touched myself -, Bowel Cancer - so I can relate to the journey. It's as much a mental journey as it is a physical one. Think positive stay the eternal optimist and love each day as it comes

• Like 1

Yes, get out there and do something.  This year was the 10th and last year that my nephew (who had a form a cancer) did a fund raiser for a regional cancer center.  Wife and I contributed some time to the event, and now I regret not having done so more often.  

• Like 1

My wife is six years out from a tough diagnosis.  Lodging at the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge opened was our first witness of the good these groups provide.  Since then we participate in annual events locally and contribute annually. 

You are right - it is a good thing.

Well done Seth. Your companion in pink is a beautiful girl!

Decades ago I dated a girl who worked for the March of Dimes. She volunteered me for for one of their massive walkathons. I didn't walk, I was part of the crew of volunteers doing the setup, take down, ferrying the wounded, etc., which made walking look easier. I was dutifully impressed with the walkers, many ill prepared and in need of medical help long before the 20 miles but they carried on with little complaint for a good cause; their sponsors generous and proud.

Even though it might not feel like you(as in anyone) didn't do much in a situation the little things really mean a lot. After a work related accident caused by a 3rd party made me bed ridden for a 3 months. Simple texts, phone calls, visits at home and random acts of kindness of people bringing meals, mowing the lawn or helping with chores really made me see people care and put me in higher spirits. I had an old coworker I lost track of over 10 years. One day he stopped out to visit.......you might lose track of people but you never forget them. People might not know how to help but just being involved or being there is something for them to contribute. I was doped up in bed for 3 months. I slept ALL day my wife worked but was close enough to come home if needed to. My  mom came over and just sat in the living room sitting on the couch playing with the dog.......just in case I needed anything, I was fine in bed but she was there. The mother in law came over and mowed a 50ftx50ft area of the lawn with a push mower.........we have 4 acres to mow, push mowing that little area didn't contribute much but she felt good by doing something. Bad situations bring the good out in people and seeing the good can lift spirits.

• Like 3