Do you remember this old Hydro 966 ad in magazines back in the day, probably 1974 & 1975 era

Hydro70

I remember it cause it was in alot of magazines like Progressive Farmer, Successful Farming, etc.

3561ea6e616faf39a3562d9827214f2b.jpg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

I remember it cause it was in alot of magazines like Progressive Farmer, Successful Farming, etc.

3561ea6e616faf39a3562d9827214f2b.jpg

Were the wedge lock rear wheels an option for the 966?  Seems like all I've seen are the u-clamp style. I know the 10's and larger were wedge lock. 

That’s the same plow Dad got when he traded the 706 for the 856diesel. The 706 was a gasser with 800 hours on it when it burned its first valve. He had always run gas engines up to that time, but went diesel on the 856. I think ours was a 4 bottom 540 but was traded for a 5 bottom 550 when he bought the 966.

5 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

Were the wedge lock rear wheels an option for the 966?  Seems like all I've seen are the u-clamp style. I know the 10's and larger were wedge lock. 

Not the 66s.  Our 1066 had clamp hubs.  

17 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Keep on posting hydro70.  We miss your posts.

Im think I might since I got me a new desktop computer, I like it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Brady Boy said:

Found this same pic in a 1973 Moldboard Plows brochure.  BK

014.jpg

Yep. Here’s my copy of the International Moldboard Plows brochure. That same tractor and plow is on the front cover of the brochure. 

IMG_9019.jpeg

IMG_9020.jpeg

• Like 2

interesting that the IH engineers thought that the Hydro was capable of pulling a plow. I have to agree, as I pulled 5-16" 550 plow on 200+ acres a year from 1971-1979 with Dad's new 826 Hydro, with no problems. Neighbor down the valley commented that he could always tell when I was plowing, from the echos.

1980, 4 months after we started farming on our own, there was a 966 Hydro with big wheatland fenders at auction nearby. I would have given body parts to get it, but not enough $$$$. I did come home with a 1974 3/4 ton Dodge club cab pickup and cap for $925. I have always wondered where that 966 went. Never seen another like it.

Plowed with a 1026 Gold Demonstrator the dealer was trying to sell us, Fall 1970. 550 IH plow we had for the 806 was hooked up and things went well until the oil got good and warm, which didn't take terribly long, and then the 1026 would slow down under load. Fuel consumption was double the 806 and with the reduced ground speed the net efficiencies gained from the increased hp were negated. Cool tractor and versatile for a lot of tasks other than high draft loads. Tractor went back to the dealer and was painted to 2150 Red as was protocol but later sold locally. Been trying to buy it for years.....