Appropriate value of Farmall A

vtfireman85

Unknown year, no hydraulics, no starter. Hand crank only. The limb remover comes with it, mismatched rear tires i am pretty sure. 
I think shes kinda steep on the asking price, but I am either going to accept it or walk away, sorry, I don’t have better pics, it ran to get put in there, but I don’t think it runs right now. 
sorry, best pics I have. 

IMG_2018.png

IMG_2019.png

18 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

No starter, no run. Sounds like a parts tractor to me. For me, maybe $200 at most.

Well it isn’t equipped with a starter, to be clear, its not missing, and i happen to know it will run just fine, but hasn’t been started in a couple years so needs a little tinkering. 

I used to have the center tube with the starter hole but sent it to scrap bout 5 years ago, along with the engine block. Got tired of saving it for 25 years. If you know it will run then maybe $500.

• Thanks 1

$400-500 is about it. Looks like the paint is decent, tires ok but mismatched. You really can’t do much with it except pull a rake or light wagon. I gave $125 for my Super A at an auction because nobody wanted it.  Good mower tractor for small places.

If you can find a sickle mower or a belly mower, it would be good at that job. 

Looking at the photos it looks to be a 1939 or early 1940, due to the location of what looks to be the serial number tag on the pedal guard and the fastners in the hood. 

In April 1941 the old no starter mounting bellhousing was replaced with the starter mounting bellhousing but a blanking plate was used if a starter was not fitted.

20210724_163429.thumb.jpg.35319d4d7fc74032ee0391e9c9c3db9f.jpg

Marty,NZ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is this a " Need " or  " Want " ? Awfully hard pressed to buy one on this side of the black line for under 1k if it's not stuck , four tires that hold air,  rims aren't rusting from Calcium leaking out of them and the owner thought enough of this tractor and parked in a building- shed the last time they had it out .

Just my two cents  VT

HP

• Like 1

I have a 1945 with starter. Came in a take em all type deal so no exact $. It doesn't do a lot but I really like it. I'm sort of looking for a sickle bar mower and some cultivators for it. It's an improvement on the Jeep for pulling the firewood trailer and the wood splitter as visibility is better and more maneuverable than a 47 Jeep. I don't think I've seen one that runs advertised around here for less than 2k up to 3.5k for a really nice one particularly a Super A. Most had starters. Kept under cover is a plus.

Are you thinkin about cuttin sugarin wood with that out fit ? 

On another note .... I know its painted red VT but even the dreaded Ford you drive will get you to fire house faster than that , unless this is the " Backup Plan lol "  😆 

HP

depends if you actually want it longterm or you will sell it short term. 

IMHO if you pay big bucks and its not running you are doing the seller a solid and theres nothing in it for you to take that risk and spend time and money on an unknown . Sitting a while ? rusty fuel tank? gummed up carb? dead mag? the rims OK? ( not very many used ones around ) could cost $500 just for rims and tubes. Look it over closely

I wouldn't disagree with anyone in the thread because location makes a difference. Here in South Western Ontario a Farmall A without starter is a tough seller. We had so many Super A- 140s in the tobacco area few want those oldies. Under a $1000 in good condition 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hot Plug said:

Is this a " Need " or  " Want " ? Awfully hard pressed to buy one on this side of the black line for under 1k if it's not stuck , four tires that hold air,  rims aren't rusting from Calcium leaking out of them and the owner thought enough of this tractor and parked in a building- shed the last time they had it out .

Just my two cents  VT

HP

Honestly it is neither want or need, when the subject first came up the price was in a range I could get interested in, now i have been discussing with the owners daughter and the price jumped quite a bit (this family is known for selling high, buying low). I think it would be cool to own, but I don’t need it. 

1 minute ago, zleinenbach said:

in 5 more years the ol duramax will be wearing Indiana antique plates lol 

It will have to, in 5 more years you will need a special permit to drive anything I/C

1 minute ago, zleinenbach said:

just HAD to go there !!!

insert random statistical charts here 

This is the only chart you need . 

we will all be driving rickshaws by the time next decade is over. 

• Haha 1

It's a relatively rare early Farmall A if it doesn't even have a place for a starter, but rare does not mean valuable.

What can you really DO with a Farmall A? Not much. No hydraulics. No implements. You can look at it. You can pull a small wagon or trailer around with it. You can take it to shows. It will be popular at shows because it doesn't even have a place for a starter. You can drive it in parades.

Me personally, an A is not worth more than $500 because it just takes up space.