AC 6080

jeeper61

18 hours ago, 766 Man said:

My recollection is that the Fiat rear ends were not a special build for AC.  That the components showed up in other Fiat products so sourcing through Fiat instead of AGCO might yield some positive results.   

my recollections are fewer and farther between but I think they are the same as those boxy/square looking Hesstons

14 minutes ago, hillman said:

my recollections are fewer and farther between but I think they are the same as those boxy/square looking Hesstons

Which brings up an interesting question.  Does Fiat still supply AGCO with parts for legacy tractors such as the 6080 or the Whites or the Hesston's?  Given Fiat's ownership of CNH could parts be ordered through CNH?  Is anything different in terms of ordering in Canada versus the US?  

2 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Which brings up an interesting question.  Does Fiat still supply AGCO with parts for legacy tractors such as the 6080 or the Whites or the Hesston's?  Given Fiat's ownership of CNH could parts be ordered through CNH?  Is anything different in terms of ordering in Canada versus the US?  

I don’t know if Fiat supplies AGCO any parts, but I know AGCO supplies Fiat some parts at CNH. The transmission on my Steiger takes an Allis Chalmers filter that can only be had through AGCO. There is no substitute. It comes in a CNH box, but when you open the box, there is a slightly smaller box that says AGCO right on it. The filter says AGCO on it too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 766 Man said:

What a mess, I’ll stick with IH and probably have less trouble getting parts than for those rare things

My uncle says his is one of the best tractors he owns. His old 7060 in the other hand not at all.

Late to the party on this but here goes.

Dad bought his 6080 new back in '84, it's still here and not leaving. It was the main horse for a long time. Hour meter broke at 61xx hours, a long time ago. If I were to guess it's got to be around 10,000.

The good; Very easy on fuel and plenty of power. Quite surprising really for a 200 ci four cylinder. I would guess fuel economy was one of the main things that caught Dad's eye.

The middle of the road? Transmission, like the three range fully synchronized tranny but the lack of some sort of power-shift is kind of a drag. All mine does these days is loader work so not a big deal now. The low 'creeper' range is handy working in close quarters.

The bad; Cold weather starting! Absolutely horrible! If it's chili at all I plug it in for 15-20 minutes.

I would like to have a set or two of the weights like on the original post. Tires are about half full of CC, could use some more weight.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Late to the party on this but here goes.

Dad bought his 6080 new back in '84, it's still here and not leaving. It was the main horse for a long time. Hour meter broke at 61xx hours, a long time ago. If I were to guess it's got to be around 10,000.

The good; Very easy on fuel and plenty of power. Quite surprising really for a 200 ci four cylinder. I would guess fuel economy was one of the main things that caught Dad's eye.

The middle of the road? Transmission, like the three range fully synchronized tranny but the lack of some sort of power-shift is kind of a drag. All mine does these days is loader work so not a big deal now. The low 'creeper' range is handy working in close quarters.

The bad; Cold weather starting! Absolutely horrible! If it's chili at all I plug it in for 15-20 minutes.

I would like to have a set or two of the weights like on the original post. Tires are about half full of CC, could use some more weight.

If an owner knew that tractor well he most likely got along with it well.  If the start was watching it pull 5 X 16's at a demo day on very light soil going 5 MPH then expecting it to do the same on heavier ground due to the HP rating then things are not going to go so well.  It might be rated within 10 HP of an 806 but trying to work it like an 806 is only going to lead to failure.