Trailers and truck to pull discussion

mmi

Time to upgrade the 30 yr old trailers.

Search design is not one of BJs funded  jobs ,so cant pull up your previous topics .

Post what you have and why it works /doesnt?

MFGs claim xy over competitor but NONE explain ANY option in detail or offer specs like IH did.

https://assets.cnhindustrial.com/casece/nafta/assets/Prior-Models/Backhoe-Loaders/580-SuperN-Tier3/Brochures/BL-580SN-T3-Specs.pdf

https://content.wisconsinhistory.org/digital/collection/ihc/id/36866

Going to go with Gooseneck, as safe tow vehicle needs to weigh more than PB/tag

14-24K # as  you get into whoa/other issues .

how to determine correct length? 24-30'?

axles'2-4 / duals?

axle placement vs proper loading as there are 3-5' difference with options/models?

lowest/full deck height?

a BT MUST raise flat for field clearance/ramps to fit any use,ease,and not be in the way.......(all)gets in the way of proper winch use .

Tilt...... all have too steep of an approach load/ angle.......a 4700 RB is less $$ ,than trailer but sits 2' higher.

Have bids at $24K -$37K -$102K ....but those are all by nature over #26000

I dont get why abc can have option jik ,but cde can only be paired with ayz.........12" vs (10") frame 12"-4 (16"3) rails MUST have 20K# duelsx2. etc

or 10K # axle can only be placed forward of 60% of the length.....tractor and loader sit at 75%

Trucks.....?

I like a triple axle.

Seems to pull / ride smoother, hardly any bounce going over bumps or railroad tracks and the like

Easy to get the load balanced between trailer and pickup.

If you have to turn right corners loaded could be a negative.

• Like 1

It’s all math.  Load weight, tare weight, axle ratings etc., then what the po po will ding you for.  

I wanted a cute 20’ deck over GN some 15 years ago.  No such thing existed in the manufactured trailer market.  So I made my own and don’t regret that to this day.  Been a real handy unit.  

If your going to haul that heavy tandem duals for stability.  Figure out your budget and go shopping.  

I assume you are running farm tags and meet the legal requirements.

If so you can buy a used single axle semi tractor and single axle lowboy trailer much cheaper than a one ton diesel and gooseneck trailer. Plus you can get good air brakes, engine and transmission that will not be overloaded all the time.

Just food for thought.

I stole the pics below from auction sites. The combined sales price for the pair was $13,000. The truck has a dt466.

image.png.436183c84f76505a6c198573cc32f6e2.png

image.png.2e92c9d11c8964f8a2922270cd00f6cc.png

• Like 1

My dream trailer is a 40 foot diamond c, midsota, or maxx d in a 30 k tandem 15k axle setup with a hydraulic beavertail.  all three trailers handle the fence industry well and this industry is hard on trailers. My reason for length is material and equipment in one trip

yes ACE that makes much more upfront ,$$ sense ,can get a landoll 440 and 4900 < $30K

However Farm plate is too restricted  and 16-50 ton is a little excessive.

TD 6-9 is about the weight range #9-30K....or 1-2 tractors. mid range to just below all the BS and extra fees.

Everything pre built is too low or high .   The options I want are actually available< $3K retail added to a base  $12k off the shelf trailer. BUT...... those combinations are NOT permitted , excepting the $24K ,thats  then $6K to add back the standard options starting from the base unit. Oak.tool box,d ring etc.

Just like bolt pricing its makes no sense and cant be explained by CJP and the binder.

With enough input here ,may get an interim, repo jan 10 24 and  1-3 more after 4-14-24 to make 1 correctly.

Recovering wounded tractors, td 6 ,340 also requires some add items from a rotator  or 44-4700 size,but not practical for average trips.

DSCF2104.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

2005_0507Image0175.JPG

Mader you can use that configuration everyday for profit/time.and write off the govt BS

late model strait 40' is $7K any day and going lower.  too much unless going #26K > 5/40- 6/80 like you

Dia C cant explain why they are 2x $$$.

Around here DD are ALWAYS  !! hung up and fixed BT s are wrecked ,the hyd BT just puts the axle Too far ahead for normal use.and beats the tail off with anything above td6

Sandhill ,will take duels if single kit included. for everyday windy /stopping use, those and 3 axle just burn OFF the tires,like a, I 549 passing the pump.

Gear clash ,sent samples and requested sheets from various trailer MFG's..........got deer in headlights..........a what ? Blueprints. I will draw in the 5 changes.

See a lot of TLB on a pintle trailer being pulled by a tandem dump here, I almost bought a trailer like acem posted years ago at an auction, nice and clean think it brought $2200, too small for commercial freight and too big personal 

• Like 1

I would seriously look into a Midsota trailer. I used to think that a triple axle trailer was the only way to go, but I pulled a 26 +6 foot tandem axle and now own a 20+5 tandem trailer and on concrete highways, the tandem trailer rides better, behind my 4 door dually. If you’re mainly on gravel roads and asphalt roads, I like the triple axles more. 
I have a PJ trailer now. This is the second one and there’s not going to be a third. I had a 26+6, Titan triple axle and should never have sold it. It had 3, 9000 pound axles with solid 17.5 wheels. Pulled easy and could handle more weight than my tandem dually trailer. Other thing to consider is the length of area over the axles as to where you need to put the load. The triple axles are more flexible as to getting to much weight on the tow vehicle. 
The next tractor hauler will be a 48 foot spread axle drop deck with ramps. 
No matter what you get now, you will always want something different. 
Did this yesterday hauling a man lift home 

IMG_0385.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

I'm seeing alot of new gooseneck and pintle trailers with super singles instead of duals.

The DT466 will probably burn no more fuel than a modern 1 ton doing the work. Round here insurance, tags and insurance would be reasonable but that varies alot by location.

Using farm tags you are restricted to 150 air miles in any truck with a GVW over 26,000 and/or trailer over 10,000 GVW. Unless you have a CDL and related paperwork. That limits you to a trailer with single 8 hole wheels. But in some states, like Arkansas, they let farmers go anywhere inside the state without trouble.

A friend ran a long gooseneck trailer with three dual wheeled axles. He didn't keep it long. It was replaced with a trailer for his semi.

If you are looking at net loads up to 30K lbs (TD9), that puts you firmly outside of tandem dual gooseneck trailer.  My brother has one, with the heavier axles, and after all the math I put the net load rating on it at somewhere around 19K lbs.  Make that a tri axle dual and you would be just barely OK.  I do see tri axle dual GN trailers out there.   If I were just doing occasional  local hauling I would get a Class 8 tractor and trailer and be done with it.  No CDL and play dumb farmer if pulled over.  If they get too pissy about that, put the trailer behind a faster ag tractor.  

Cross country a whole different kettle of decomposing fish.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 4:30 PM, sandhiller said:

I like a triple axle.

Seems to pull / ride smoother, hardly any bounce going over bumps or railroad tracks and the like

Easy to get the load balanced between trailer and pickup.

If you have to turn right corners loaded could be a negative.

I like tri axles and I have a dual tandem flat bed . I’m with you on less bumpy I run less psi on front axle and haven’t had any issues with tires .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mmi said:

Sandhill ,will take duels if single kit included. for everyday windy /stopping use, those and 3 axle just burn OFF the tires,like a, I 549 passing the pump.

I have a 549 (second pic) and no argument with trying to pass a pump. 

But I will respectfully disagree with the "3 axle just burn OFF the tires" opinion

I get excellent wear on my 14 ply's and it is not babied

Just a couple glamour shots,

1486 with loaded 20.8's the day I bought it

1486tapeexh.jpg.d0e7fae1724429958d6b86813a523274.jpg

Int 220, I know, don't weigh much, but this is a IH site................

1950Int_24.thumb.JPG.a3e145af974eb45b4e8615be79188459.JPG

Diamond Reo

DR.thumb.jpg.6ab522b4aae2bbda8236d1c4521c65d4.jpg

This is a 1978 Gooseneck mfg trailer and everything I own that has needed hauling has been hauled on this trailer. 

• Like 4

Have a 28' PJ goose-neck I bought from my cousin. It's 23&5'. He had purchased it new and had very low miles on it. Price was right too. It will haul a lot more than the 3/4 ton Dodge that gets hooked to it. In all reality, a little longer trailer would be nice at times but would need bigger tow vehicle!

Nice tractor and trucks jeff.

It seems to me that triple axle trailers work out well if you can limit turning close (getting under it) when loaded on pavement. In more open areas it should work great. If you are turning tight loaded on pavement it will work the tires much more.

My hopper bottom semi works the tires pretty bad the few times I've had to turn tight when loaded. It was on dirt/gravel and tore the ground up bad. 

In tight quarters a semi trailer with a single heavy axle will give less trouble.

Here's a pic of several axles under a Michigan special. 

image.png.520e769621085be2229b7a2893202e71.png

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I have a 549 (second pic) and no argument with trying to pass a pump. 

But I will respectfully disagree with the "3 axle just burn OFF the tires" opinion

I get excellent wear on my 14 ply's and it is not babied

Just a couple glamour shots,

1486 with loaded 20.8's the day I bought it

1486tapeexh.jpg.d0e7fae1724429958d6b86813a523274.jpg

Int 220, I know, don't weigh much, but this is a IH site................

1950Int_24.thumb.JPG.a3e145af974eb45b4e8615be79188459.JPG

Diamond Reo

DR.thumb.jpg.6ab522b4aae2bbda8236d1c4521c65d4.jpg

This is a 1978 Gooseneck mfg trailer and everything I own that has needed hauling has been hauled on this trailer. 

My trailer isn't as old, or experienced maybe, but I will have to agree 100%. It's an 04 and I've only had it 10 years now but but I do not see the tires burning off at all. Granted I'm not pounding pavement everyday with it, but definitely travel enough of it loaded. It hauled thousands of bales a year before I bought it, and it's doing the same since I've bought it. Plus it has this issue of bringing red tractors home from no where close to home lol

I've used a tandem dual trailer before I bought mine and I'll stick with the tri axle. Maybe if I had a 1 ton dually it would be ok but the tri axle pulls so nice empty and loaded. Put the first couple new tires on shortly after I bought it and they're still at least 3/4 tread. No plans of replacing tires anytime soon due to wear 

Screenshot_20231008_104009_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7f667016d17b556d75ae0522d9203466.jpg

Snapchat-1720688642.thumb.jpg.3f48a32ecc741b785e161573ac36e06b.jpg

20161002_151508.thumb.jpg.53251a29d2162821f779ee0724fe5e5f.jpg

• Like 1

I actually have a triple axle gooseneck trailer. I don't use it that much and it's had alot of tires fail. However it has only gotten worn out tires out put on it because of it's lack of use. Can't really blame the trailer...

Used to have triple axle loadmax 25x5 '06. Tires never wore out but the crap Chinese tires would rot out. Little known or enforced law in Illinois is that the tire weight rating on the rear axle of tow vehicle must be equal or greater than the weight rating of the tires of one axle of trailer. So technically a dual tandem is illegal behind a single tire rear pickup. Even though 3x7,000=21,000 and 2x10,000=20,000. That's Illinois logic for you lol

See it all the time though.

Loved the loadmax though. Sat unused for about 3 years I think? When we sold it the guy that picked it up plugged it in and all the lights worked. Dad bought it new and I don't remember ever changing a light.

Not arguing what works for You. looking for input ,and info on ALL the options available as MFGs  REFUSE to explain them like IH did vs in house and competitor.

Stealer said same ,  200 units crammed in 1/2 acre, pick the one you want, pay for and try it at home no refunds,Want 1 equipped,(not stock ) the way YOU want add $3K + the option and 8-24 weeks wait, pay now at least 50% down ,no backing out when price is 2x $ .

Anyone that wants to buy me tires w'ell try 3 axle.

A. No one runs them commercial here unless specific job,90% that do run 3-4 axle are lift/singles AND ONLY Used when SPECIFICALLY NEEDED.......overloaded and at the moment of crossing 60 year old sub std bridges    .

B. neighbors have had them along with tandem duels, there gone unless #35 K up.

C. 85% of our wagons are now (total) tri axle singles , the duels are gone, and single tandem,corn wagons were 16-24 miles per trip, above 3/4 of a load they were forever burning the tires off,rolling them under, ripping bolts or rims, per the sub standard bolts post.

D. Same tri axles are under, maze wagons, 65 + people on a load ,rips the sod vs ,now add #7K + asphalt/tire,.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:33 AM, Gearclash said:

If I were just doing occasional  local hauling I would get a Class 8 tractor and trailer and be done with it.  No CDL and play dumb farmer if pulled over.  If they get too pissy about that, put the trailer behind a faster ag tractor.  

Over #26K /over heights /permit ,including the local contractors that arent $$$$$$$ the client,have a local guy do it with DD. ITs not worth the govt BS , $$$$$$ or the hassle in the area "kingdumbs".   He's barely keeping the tanks full,and taking loads like WP/Sandhill.

B. Alot of what I "hope" to recover ,he's too tall, too long, too low and too $$$ to spend ALL day.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:42 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

prebuilt to high or low money or height?

what's not permitted by who?

mFG s and stealers.

A want the fast easy $$$$$ and run,on  the lot , A or B unit line no ala cart

B. to lazy mFG and stealers.

C, union, production set up, lawyers

D. dont know what law actually applies and can/t approve a finish product stamp.

D1 .part of the questions to be answered here..........

SO....... sticking with tandem duel,run as single for the most part

1 axle # 7-8-10-12-K

2  disc/drum

3 mag/elec........  elec/hyd

4  cheap spring,slipper spring, spring etc, torsion ,air

5 width variations on frame mounting?

Axle lubes?

1 none

2 ez...?

3 ?

Tires

1 E ...>