7288 & 7488 for sale

OFFTHEFARM

23 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

The 4366 was a 225 hp true 4 wheel drive tractor using rowcrop tractor axles and finale drives.  Those don’t seem to have the reputation the 2+2 does.  From what I’ve found if anything the 466 suffered at that hp more then the drivetrain. 

IH offered the large frame Steiger built four wheel drive and 2+2 product lines available simultaneously. Therefore anyone who modified their 2+2 into something well beyond the stated intent of the product and then complained about reliability issues in public should be relegated to charlatan status. That aside, the 3788/6788 platform had the most hp offered in each series yet inexplicably had smaller final drive components than the advertised as less capable brethren. Harvester had an recall program slated for the 3788/6788 tractors that disappeared with the rest of the product line in 1985.

• Like 1

One of my dads neighbors has a 2+2 that he uses to chop corn and run grain cart among other things. Seams to work really well when conditions get wet. I may be romanticizing it but to me it's a throw back to the "Farmall" mentality where you really could use one tractor for all jobs. Not to mention a money saving transition being the rear half was sent down the same line the rest of the row crop tractors were. I heard one issue they had was guys putting duals on the front axles of the earlier models that weren't designed for it. Where do the big 88 series articulated tractors, like the 73 and 7788 tractors fall into place? I assume right before IH cut ties with Steiger? I believe the reason they cut ties with them is an attempt to save money as opposed to putting all of their eggs in the 2+2 basket. 

I've had a 4366 for 25 years. It's had several problems but most were operator related. I can't imagine how bad I would have abused a 2+2!

When I was a teenager I got to demo a 2+2 on our farm. I loved it. I was running an 856 fender tractor most of the time and it seemed like heaven to me. Of course Dad didn't but it. We kept using the 856. It was the right business decision.

Before I bought the 4366 I was looking at 4366/4386 and 2+2 tractors. The 2+2 had PTO and was much nicer creature comforts. However I chose the 4366 because I grow rice and the 4366 is tougher.

I think a 2+2 would look good wearing 30.5x32 rice and canes!

8 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

That aside, the 3788/6788 platform had the most hp offered in each series yet inexplicably had smaller final drive components than the advertised as less capable brethren.

Not inexplicably. The "less capable brethren" had only one axle to absorb the HP. A 2+2 had two axles, and the HP was supposed to be distributed 50/50. In theory that meant each axle only had to handle half the engine output. It didn't quite work out that way, especially when those DT466s got cranked to the moon.

10 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

One of my dads neighbors has a 2+2 that he uses to chop corn and run grain cart among other things. Seams to work really well when conditions get wet. I may be romanticizing it but to me it's a throw back to the "Farmall" mentality where you really could use one tractor for all jobs. Not to mention a money saving transition being the rear half was sent down the same line the rest of the row crop tractors were. I heard one issue they had was guys putting duals on the front axles of the earlier models that weren't designed for it. Where do the big 88 series articulated tractors, like the 73 and 7788 tractors fall into place? I assume right before IH cut ties with Steiger? I believe the reason they cut ties with them is an attempt to save money as opposed to putting all of their eggs in the 2+2 basket. 

Front duals were not recommended because the front axle was the rear axle of a 584 with reversed gearing.

The 73, 75, and 7788 program was cancelled in 1982 in favor of 76/7888 big tractor 2+2's.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Not inexplicably. The "less capable brethren" had only one axle to absorb the HP. A 2+2 had two axles, and the HP was supposed to be distributed 50/50. In theory that meant each axle only had to handle half the engine output. It didn't quite work out that way, especially when those DT466s got cranked to the moon.

The 3588/6588 had a heavier final drive than the 37/67 and the 4 speed transmission. That's the inexplicable part of the equation and has nothing to do with the two wheel drive discussion. Front axle was updated with a much more substantial Raba unit for the 72/7488 and the frame strengthened/lengthened for front duals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acem said:

Pics!!!

The current owner doesn’t care for it as well as my relative who bought it new and set it up that way. I haven’t been by his place in a while to see if it’s visible from the road. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s seen a shed in well over a decade.

• Sad 1

Growing up there was a guy and his son that ran several 2+2s and seemed to get along with them ok. They were fairly big operators for the time. 1000 plus acres in the late 70s early 80s. The son had a collection of 3 or 4 up until he passed. The dad had been gone for years at that point. Think the family sold some or all of them. 

17 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I’d like to hear of some examples because only one guy SuperMpuller has stepped up and posted what he pulled for actual plow and it wasn’t outrageous.  

My 3588pulled a 24ft. field cultivator with 25 ft crumbler or a 24 ft 490 IN disk,  4 shank in line ripper. I had to turn the 3588 up to pull a 25 ft. vertical tillage its around 200 hp. now,, it takes a lot of power to go 6 to 8 mph. Got a 8940 to pull the VT and now use the 3588 runs a grain cart and 24 split row Kinzie planter. 

• Like 1

First tractor I farmed with was a 3588. I pulled a 27.5 ft chisel, 914 combine . 20 ft of drills . Loved how it went through washouts with the big front tires. Damn good tractor. Lot more to go wrong than a traditional tractor and advances in MFW made them less desirable. I farm a lot less but still miss it occasionally.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:15 PM, Big Bud guy said:

I’d like to hear of some examples because only one guy SuperMpuller has stepped up and posted what he pulled for actual plow and it wasn’t outrageous.  

I'd have to dig back for some pictures but dad's 3788 was his only 4wd for 10 years then was just on tillage duty when he got the 4494. 18.4-38 duals all around. Dynoed at 230 eng hp. Pulled 32 foot cultivator, straight into stubble alot, 25 foot deep tiller later on which you didn't know it was back there. Pulled 32 feet of press drill then upgraded to a 28 foot air seeder, which again didn't even make the tractor work hard. Ran the 1482 combine for years too. Just an all around good tractor that pulled hard. Not sure what it has for hours now, around 11000 I believe. It got tranny troubles and we bought another one cheap that had new ta and clutch all done. So the first one is waiting to get in the shop some day lol.

The 2nd one was also dualed up all around, did all the same tasks, just didn't seen to pull quite as hard. Worked great though and never missed a beat till it burnt. I was pretty sad that day going to look at it but it is what it is. Everyone was safe. Tried to find another one to replace it but wasn't any around then. Got the 9130 and it's a great tractor, but I still miss the 2+2. It handled awesome in the hills. Was no power hopping or back end sliding down. It also almost walked on water, till it didn't. Then it became a big job getting it unstuck lol

53 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I'd have to dig back for some pictures but dad's 3788 was his only 4wd for 10 years then was just on tillage duty when he got the 4494. 18.4-38 duals all around. Dynoed at 230 eng hp. Pulled 32 foot cultivator, straight into stubble alot, 25 foot deep tiller later on which you didn't know it was back there. Pulled 32 feet of press drill then upgraded to a 28 foot air seeder, which again didn't even make the tractor work hard. Ran the 1482 combine for years too. Just an all around good tractor that pulled hard. Not sure what it has for hours now, around 11000 I believe. It got tranny troubles and we bought another one cheap that had new ta and clutch all done. So the first one is waiting to get in the shop some day lol.

The 2nd one was also dualed up all around, did all the same tasks, just didn't seen to pull quite as hard. Worked great though and never missed a beat till it burnt. I was pretty sad that day going to look at it but it is what it is. Everyone was safe. Tried to find another one to replace it but wasn't any around then. Got the 9130 and it's a great tractor, but I still miss the 2+2. It handled awesome in the hills. Was no power hopping or back end sliding down. It also almost walked on water, till it didn't. Then it became a big job getting it unstuck lol

I know soil conditions are probably different between you and I but all those implements a normal ~200 hp tractor would handle here don't matter if its a row crop tractor like a JD 6030 or 4840 or a true 4 wheel drive tractor like a Versatile 700 or JD 7520.  Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like they gave you great service.  

Funny how different soils are ? In Nebraska we pulled a ripper barely wider than the tractor , JD 4960. While at home I ran a 4640 with a 29ft chisel. The tractor never had enough traction.   I pull a 22 ft IH 490 disk easily with the 1586 but could barely scratch the surface with a 12 ft Wishek. My 3588 pulled 27.5 vibra chisel but was underpowered on a 32ft IH 5500. Had to move up to a 850 versatile. Honestly we never worked the ground very deep as was always taught to have a firm seedbed .

9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I know soil conditions are probably different between you and I but all those implements a normal ~200 hp tractor would handle here don't matter if its a row crop tractor like a JD 6030 or 4840 or a true 4 wheel drive tractor like a Versatile 700 or JD 7520.  Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like they gave you great service.  

Could very well be. We have alot of pretty light and sandy soils, but we also have alot of big hills and quite often wet ground. No doubt about it a 200 hp 2wd will pull all those when conditions are good. Heck we've pulled the cultivator with the 1486 before, but stay away from wet spots and plan things out in the hills.

I guess my point was that between the 3 different 4wds we have, all the same hp, the 2+2 was just as capable to do the job. And yes we could be pulling bigger implements with all, but again when conditions are not ideal, it would be more hassle than it's worth. 

Dug up a few pics

IMG_20150520_202410.thumb.jpg.de0147f4d144788bbdb1528e0836bee5.jpg

1460347482392.thumb.jpg.bfea0cb53b6fa8fb4c1dd330c0445313.jpg

IMG_20150520_202439.thumb.jpg.6a536300b01b1e7a3b4f3d605462a70b.jpg

• Like 13

It's amazing you were able to get along so well with front duals on the 37 and that it survived until 11k on the clock until the transmission failed. I'd say that's an outstanding record for any tractor used as intended and beyond with front duals. We never had issues with ours either but we didn't beat it to death and blame others for the results.

So much for all the chatter about an inferior IH product.....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

It's amazing you were able to get along so well with front duals on the 37 and that it survived until 11k on the clock until the transmission failed. I'd say that's an outstanding record for any tractor used as intended and beyond with front duals. We never had issues with ours either but we didn't beat it to death and blame others for the results.

So much for all the chatter about an inferior IH product.....

Most 35 and 3788 around here wore duals all around. A few I've seen only had duals on rear and a few had wide singles. But I'd say majority had duals.

Rear inside tires on dads were loaded too. I never knew how bad of a tractor they were till I joined this forum lol. Surprised he ever farmed with it from how bad of a reputation they seem to have. There was a few of them in this area and all were well liked from what I've been told. Still a couple I know of in use. Maybe no 3pt equipment saved them a bit? Maybe lighter soil, I don't know. The case crab steers are also sure hated tractors by lots but ours has sure been an excellent tractor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. I never knew that the doors were on “the wrong way” either until all of the IHC haters joined RED POWER forum! 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Agreed. I never knew that the doors were on “the wrong way” either until all of the IHC haters joined RED POWER forum! 

Never thought they opened the wrong way either. Had a customer who had a jd tell me they were wrong and I asked him what way do the doors open on his pickup, his answer was , hummm , never thought about that. Never ever gonna satisfy everyone and they all have their own opinion

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I would consider anybody who gets onto a brand based forum like this and spends most of their time discrediting and bashing said brand, the kids nowadays call Trolls. If you had Ford fans trashing Chevys in a Chevy forum they'd get run right out of there. 

• Like 2

There was quite a few 2+2's sold in this area. They filled a niche at the time. They were between a 2wd and an articulate 4wd.  At the time FWA tractors were still a work in progress. IH had the Coleman and Elwood fronts which were popular here but they had their problems, turning radius was poor, they were prone to breakage. Deere had the hydraulic FWA which was not their best design. Local Deere dealer took on the SAME dealership in the 70's and sold a pile of them here because they were true mechanical front wheel assist and were animals in the mud. 

Falls here are generally very wet and muddy so the 2+2 worked good pulling a chopper in corn, hooked to a spreader in the winter to spread in deep snow, in the spring could do the tillage chores and still be put on a baler in the summer. Made them very versatile. Over time they developed problems and were traded off and by that time the FWA tractors had gotten figured out by the major lines and they took the place of the 2+2.Self propelled choppers had become popular by then and started taking on the fall chopping tasks.

There are still a few around and in use on smaller farms and guys that have them love them. I never had the opportunity to run one when they were new as we never had one. I did get to run a couple in later years and had the great opportunity to do some plowing with a 7488. The 7488 was a very nice tractor and was comfortable to run after you got used to the articulation joint being in front of you not behind that I was so used to.

Here is a picture I took of the 2+2 introduction at a local ag field day in  1979 or 1980(?). Also one of the Case 2870 at the same field day.

2+2 1980 field days.JPG

Case 4890 1980 field day.JPG

!cid__1012080852.jpg

!cid__1012080904.jpg

• Like 11