7288 & 7488 for sale

OFFTHEFARM

30 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

I wish that they were built in 1990!!

The mere fact that the Racinian Buzzards embarked on a mission to not only immediately halt 2+2 production but to locate and destroy all unsold inventory despite the existence of unfilled orders is a special variety of moronic juvenile stupidity. I know of three signed orders at a single dealer that went unfilled.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

The mere fact that the Racinian Buzzards embarked on a mission to not only immediately halt 2+2 production but to locate and destroy all unsold inventory despite the existence of unfilled orders is a special variety of moronic juvenile stupidity. I know of three signed orders at a single dealer that went unfilled.

I dont know how many survived but it is safe to say the ones that were assembled got sold. There was a 7288 that spent its entire life in northwest ND sold at an auction a few years ago and is in an I state collection. The video of it has been posted on here. I would bet that tractor got bought of the demoing dealers lot when case merged with IH.

58 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I dont know how many survived but it is safe to say the ones that were assembled got sold. There was a 7288 that spent its entire life in northwest ND sold at an auction a few years ago and is in an I state collection. The video of it has been posted on here. I would bet that tractor got bought of the demoing dealers lot when case merged with IH.

Not all assembled tractors were sold. Anything left at Farmall in whatever assembly status was scrapped on orders from Buzzardville. Unsold units on dealer lots weren't safe, not even toys on the shelf. It's a special breed of stupid.

22 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

Not all assembled tractors were sold. Anything left at Farmall in whatever assembly status was scrapped on orders from Buzzardville. Unsold units on dealer lots weren't safe, not even toys on the shelf. It's a special breed of stupid.

Why would they go to such lengths to get rid of a production product that already has all the R&D money spent to make it marketable? Should be mostly profit at that point unless they figured they wouldn't sell any of them. Seems stupid indeed!!!

2 hours ago, OFFTHEFARM said:

Why would they go to such lengths to get rid of a production product that already has all the R&D money spent to make it marketable? Should be mostly profit at that point unless they figured they wouldn't sell any of them. Seems stupid indeed!!!

All components were on hand to complete the pilot production run of 2+2 tractors. What wasn't scrapped was sold at auction. Boxes full of owner's manuals were thrown in the dumpster and chrome exhaust pipes were scrapped.

3 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

The toys were around for a while. I still don’t believe they scrapped any built tractors unless there were test units. Enough of them survived. And in all reality the Case 4494 was probably better in a row crop situation, Case also had a more powerful series of 4 wd so you can see why the 2 + 2 was shelved. Mfwd tractors available with more power and 4 wd tractor line with more power. Remember all IH had for 4 wd at the time was the 7488 big farming country didn’t want them. They wanted what got built eventually the new Steiger series and on new Holland side the versatile 4 wds. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

The toys were around for a while. I still don’t believe they scrapped any built tractors unless there were test units. Enough of them survived. And in all reality the Case 4494 was probably better in a row crop situation, Case also had a more powerful series of 4 wd so you can see why the 2 + 2 was shelved. Mfwd tractors available with more power and 4 wd tractor line with more power. Remember all IH had for 4 wd at the time was the 7488 big farming country didn’t want them. They wanted what got built eventually the new Steiger series and on new Holland side the versatile 4 wds. 

Year and half ago we ran a prototype JD air cart.  The guy following it from JD, his family used to own a IH dealership,  Anyways he still has his father's belt buckle and toy 2+2 IH handed out for dealers only at the 88 series 2+2 introduction.  Also, after the introduction, IH paraded around a 7288 in Iowa and he got to sit in it while on display at their store as a 9 year old.  He has a unique perspective because he grew up on IH and then when the new company dropped them, his father went across town and bought the JD dealership and turned that place around.  So then he grew up on JD.  He is like you having worked on almost every major brand and tractor and can bash down a IH  just as thoroughly as a JD.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OFFTHEFARM said:

Because the 2+2 wasn't the godsend most old IH guys think it was. If it was so good a bunch of other companies could have built it, Truth is it was a stop gap to get to front wheel assists. Sometimes in business it's a better idea to cut your losses before your to far in the whole.  Tenneco saw the 2+2 as a money pit and acted wisely by killing it and pouring money into the Magnums.  Obviously we all know what a success those were. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

Because the 2+2 wasn't the godsend most old IH guys think it was. If it was so good a bunch of other companies could have built it, Truth is it was a stop gap to get to front wheel assists. Sometimes in business it's a better idea to cut your losses before your to far in the whole.  Tenneco saw the 2+2 as a money pit and acted wisely by killing it and pouring money into the Magnums.  Obviously we all know what a success those were. 

The 6788 I had was 80 HP less then my 7250.  The 6788 road better and would put all of it's power to the ground better then my 7250.  I wish I could have kept it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

There was a  thread on here about Tenneco trying the middle articulation on an all wheel drive magnum prototype at least once....  Tenneco saw at least some potential in the design.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

his father went across town and bought the JD dealership and turned that place around.

He sell out before Deere forced him to sell to corporate dealers? Or he get forced to sell? My gut is telling me he didn’t end up in the corporate hierarchy.

• Like 2

2+2 and row crop style mfw were both possible futures. It was all new and developing. In all honesty I think the 2+2 was just a nicer, smaller articulated tractor. In the end people prefer the row crop tractor layout.

Case could not realistically build the 3x88, 5x88 and 7x88 tractors. They didn't buy the FARMALL plant and would have had to set up everything in Racine. It wasn't practical when the magnums were already in the pipeline.

The 2+2 was light years ahead of the JD hydraulic 4x4 used on 30 series tractors. It had a terrible reputation down in rice country. The 2+2 was less than ideal in rice but at least it worked. 

54 minutes ago, Littlefeller said:

There was a  thread on here about Tenneco trying the middle articulation on an all wheel drive magnum prototype at least once....  Tenneco saw at least some potential in the design.

I'm fully aware of that machine, I've personally sat in it.

But it wasn't a 2+2, it was a fwa that they wanted to make turn sharper. Basically test bed for the New Holland super steer.

12 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

He sell out before Deere forced him to sell to corporate dealers? Or he get forced to sell? My gut is telling me he didn’t end up in the corporate hierarchy.

His father retired and sold out in around 2003.  No different than a farmer retiring and selling the farm.  Was JD pressuring him to sell out and it was a good time to retire.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I didn't get that personal with him..  They had owned the IH dealership since the 50s and to get told they are out while the nearby Case dealer kept their franchise left a bad taste in their mouth which is why they went to JD.  Was kinda weird at first because they took all their IH pickups and trucks with them.  

16 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

His father retired and sold out in around 2003.  No different than a farmer retiring and selling the farm.  Was JD pressuring him to sell out and it was a good time to retire.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I didn't get that personal with him..  They had owned the IH dealership since the 50s and to get told they are out while the nearby Case dealer kept their franchise left a bad taste in their mouth which is why they went to JD.  Was kinda weird at first because they took all their IH pickups and trucks with them.  

20 years ago the only corporate chain dealer around me was the Caterpillar dealer. The larger town to the north of me always had a Deere dealer and the town dealer folded up in the early 90’s. It was well known that Deere wanted someone to take on a dealer and there were no takers. It went on for a few years before the guys that owned the New Holland dealer said they would build an entire new Deere facility separate from the NH facility. They weren’t forcing dealers out around here in the early 2000’s. 

17 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

They weren’t forcing dealers out around here in the early 2000’s. 

I agree.  It's only been maybe the last 10 years mother deere got forceful.  Before that it was highly suggestive they merge.  The first one happened around here in the late 90s.  The owner of the stores was told this was coming down the pipeline in the mid 90s.  My two nearest JD dealers are actually run their business out of old NH stores.  We lost both NH dealers after the Case/NH merger.  JD has this rule you can't open up a new store in old facilities.  So both of them just took over the NH facilities to get around that rule.  Our last independent CIH dealer was forced to drop red so they just reopened with NH.  Lost two NH dealers but gained one.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I agree.  It's only been maybe the last 10 years mother deere got forceful.  Before that it was highly suggestive they merge.  The first one happened around here in the late 90s.  The owner of the stores was told this was coming down the pipeline in the mid 90s.  My two nearest JD dealers are actually run their business out of old NH stores.  We lost both NH dealers after the Case/NH merger.  JD has this rule you can't open up a new store in old facilities.  So both of them just took over the NH facilities to get around that rule.  Our last independent CIH dealer was forced to drop red so they just reopened with NH.  Lost two NH dealers but gained one.  

Way back in the EARLY 80's JD forced the local dealer to build a brand new building. Fast forward less than 10 years they pulled dealership. Way before building was paid for. Ruined 2 families. It is now Central IL Ag cnh dealership.

9 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

I'm fully aware of that machine, I've personally sat in it.

But it wasn't a 2+2, it was a fwa that they wanted to make turn sharper. Basically test bed for the New Holland super steer.

No

NH marriage wasnt till 1997-98.  The Magnum/ 2+2 was like 92.  Danny Anderson restored it for CNH 5 years ago or so.  

• Like 1

I saw the articulated 7140. Front axle was steer capable in addition to the articulation joint but was locked out when I saw it. It was no 2+2 because the weight distribution was completely different with the engine behind the front axle. No way it could perform like a 2+2 and neither could a Case 4494 with skinny tires for row crop work. I've run them. No chance for the Buzzard when a 1466 does the same work and a 2+2 runs away from both.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

To me The tractor that emulated the 2+2 was the White 4 wheel drives.  With the exception of were the cab was placed the layout/design was the same between both.  

Sort of. Cab in the wrong place for row crop work. The 2+2 was never originally designed to be a big dog in the field but rather a high traction row crop tractor, which it was. There was nothing more nimble on a row crop cultivator in the summer and the same tractor would drag a loaded 500 bushel grain cart anywhere that fall if needed. Been there, done that with a stock 3788. Crank up the horsey ponies, install a stack of weights and you'll regret it every time. IH anticipated that situation so they were working on the Super 70 tractor and the 50 Series the same way they did with the original 30 Series when they quite literally robbed parts from the next room from the 86 Series group. This is all laid out on Farmington Implement DVD 12 with the engineer who was there. And there were 76/7888 tractors planned with the bigger displacement 530/570 engines as power but.....then came the Buzzards to pick over the carcass left in the wake of John McCaffrey's legacy.

• Like 1