Farmers pocket ledger

MinnesotaFarmall

A few years back my grandma who has since passed away showed me their hired hand's old belongings. In it was a bunch of old herford cattle papers and various knik nacks. One thing that really caught my eye was an old John Deere farmers pocket ledger. It had a bunch of tables for conversions and old tyme sayings along with places to write in your harvests and sales. Does anyone know if they make new ones? I would like to purchase one and always thought it to be fun to pass down to my children. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

A few years back my grandma who has since passed away showed me their hired hand's old belongings. In it was a bunch of old herford cattle papers and various knik nacks. One thing that really caught my eye was an old John Deere farmers pocket ledger. It had a bunch of tables for conversions and old tyme sayings along with places to write in your harvests and sales. Does anyone know if they make new ones? I would like to purchase one and always thought it to be fun to pass down to my children. 

It's probably an app these days.

Mike

• Like 1

I have one too. 75th annual edition. Can’t remember what year its from (it’s not with me).

Here’s a pic. It’s from the dealer in my hometown. Also is a couple implements that my grandpa gave me from when he was a kid.

IMG_3015.thumb.jpeg.db100962a34a0287015c37f58d3b87bb.jpeg

• Like 2

Not exactly what you are looking for but serves the same purpose I think

I call this my "day book"

Every thing of importance that I have to do or have done goes in here.

Geared more towards cattle production than crop farming

Front half is pages from calving to breeding to sales records.

IMG_20231005_215233523_HDR.thumb.jpg.33f462575dfaebd37e3f66d22a8978c4.jpg

Middle is calendar pages for daily whatever's

IMG_20231005_215423665_HDR.thumb.jpg.0ba91e512dab45ea76f3347711ab3a0e.jpg

Rubber band holds in CDL, credit cards, cash etc

It is my billfold

IMG_20231005_215551912_HDR.thumb.jpg.5dd0276c8a7a8785afd6d46e33b08b77.jpg

A few Banks, vet clinics, feed stores give em out to paying customers

Ain't real cheap. Getting harder to find

I have many years of these and maybe someday someone might find some interest in them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JEFF!!😂😂

I’ve used the same book the last two years. Local bank has given them to me lol.

It’s nice to use. (Notice the name on pen too)

image.thumb.jpg.8fbd6bf4b57c92260dd44bad2e4472bf.jpg

• Like 2

I have seen them but all older production. The gentleman that used this barn wrote all his notes starting around 1940 on the wall inside the barn. Most can still be read today. Kinda hard to fit in the pocket for quick reference though…😊

EF18B1F3-D6C5-4D55-B5A4-8032D079DC91.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have over a dozen from 1933 from my hometown Deere dealer that was out of business by 1941, to a 1973 that is the newest one I have.  The 1973 also has much less info than the earlier ones.  Most of these were my Grandpas and are from several different Northern Indiana Deere dealers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I have seen them but all older production. The gentleman that used this barn wrote all his notes starting around 1940 on the wall inside the barn. Most can still be read today. Kinda hard to fit in the pocket for quick reference though…😊

Our old milk barn has notes written on the walls by my dad,granddad and great granddad,all written in pencil on the white washed walls. I know where they are and need to show the kids,,time has faded them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

You have one of those type of ledgers too. Huh.

Ours is written on the of bins in the granery we still have. 

Just a sample of what is written in the walls in there.

20231006_091033.jpg

20231006_091038.jpg

20231006_091046.jpg

My grandfather used to carry one of those little ledger/notebooks around.

Here are a couple photos of an old freebie that I picked up somewhere.  I am guessing that it is '70s vintage.  It would have been pretty handy before calculators and for those who forget formulas. 

IH Farmetrics Slide Calculator Front.jpg

IH Farmetrics Slide Calculator Back.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Does anyone know if they make new ones? I would like to purchase one and always thought it to be fun to pass down to my children. 

I swear by At-A-Glance auto record books.  I have one for every vehicle to keep track of fuel purchases/fuel economy, oil changes, tire rotation, and other maintenance.  The same company offers yearly date books but I highly doubt that the contents will be rural in nature with conversion tables or folksy sayings.  You will have to put that content in there!

18 minutes ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

My grandfather used to carry one of those little ledger/notebooks around.

Here are a couple photos of an old freebie that I picked up somewhere.  I am guessing that it is '70s vintage.  It would have been pretty handy before calculators and for those who forget formulas. 

IH Farmetrics Slide Calculator Front.jpg

IH Farmetrics Slide Calculator Back.jpg

I think that I have one of those too. Got it from dad’s things after he passed away.

The alleyway of our barn has many notes in pencil:  feed formulas for cattle and hogs, notation when the bull was turned out with the cows every year, filter part numbers and oil change dates for tractors, bales of hay per cutting, etc.  Grandpa wrote everything there!

• Like 2

I've carried a day-book for a long time now, to jot notes and part numbers and all sorts of useful (useless?) information in. My wife bought me some to these Field Notes books several years ago: https://fieldnotesbrand.com/products/original-kraft . Dad made me a leather cover for them, and I usually carry it in the truck with me (you would know it's on the dining room table right now). They have a few facts and things in them, but not exactly like what you're wanting. Of course, the Field Notes company makes all sorts of different books and they might have something that would work for you. 

Mac

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I have several of them that grandpa picked up back in the day and the newest one is from around 1959 or during the 30 series production run.  Never have seen one newer than that.  

WHAT DO YOU MEAN  BY 30 SERIES ? JOHN DEERE ?

Our local Historical Society is having a book sale this weekend, and i was working there setting up. One of the guys found one of these logbooks, but it was for an automobile, I'm guessing maybe from the 50's. Evidently, he had run over a girl, and he had notes in there of all of the costs, and it totaled up to about $300. In the next paragraph he noted that the next one he runs over, he will have to find one that was cheaper. Probably never dreamt that someone would be reading it 70 years later.

This has me thinking that someone should do a reprint. 

We used to have all sorts of notes wrote on the barn wall by the old phone. Numbers, addresses, cow info here and there. Sure codes, after we painted the walls the phone came out and never got hooked back up. Notes went away too.