TD 6 CON ROD BOLT LOCKS

Still on the TD6, Question, how many of you use the sheet metal locks on the rod bolts? you know the ones, the gold plated ones, when you go to buy new🙂 and they are a PITA to take off and just the right shape to require stitches when you rake your knuckles across them when your wrench slips trying to get to the top rod bolt.🙂 At any rate, I would think that some kind of thread holder goo or hardened washer would be better and easier than those darned things.

Get some modern high grade bolts and don’t use any sort of locking device, and torque them to bolt torque for a given size and grade from a torque table for standard fasteners, as opposed to the torque recommendation of the service manual. Get enough length to use as much of the threaded hole as possible; it’s the friction here and the bolt tension that will keep them in.

You can use the tab washers, safety wire or threadlocker compound, iirc the TD14 was safety wired but you have multiple options 

• Thanks 1

I'd have no problem using red Loctite as long as you it's used properly. I overhauled my 573B 3 times in it's life, mainly due to oring failure, twice when we pulled the pan a main bearing bolt was laying in the bottom, no locking plat on these, and found no damage. Used Loctite the last time, maybe 20 years ago and to my knowledge it's still running.   

• Thanks 1

pede

When the main bolts came out, was is the same position each time? I think I know what happened, some little gremlin had a bunch of extensions, u-joints and wobble sockets and went in through the breather cap.( NO NO  just kidding😀) I certainly don't want to have the same problem. I don't know if a guy drilled the heads of the bolts if it would affect them, thread locker? a possibility, those little gold plated bend over goodies are a PITA but probably good insurance.???

I have no idea if it was the same one, happened probably 8-10 years apart, first time I thought that is odd, second was...again?? The second time was a field service so I had the dealer come out and pull to take it to their shop, had spun a main and no not the one with the missing bolt, funny thing it had not hurt the crank but the dealer had found a burr on the cap and filed it off. After the reinstall the motor ran for 30secs and locked up.....yep...he didn't plastic gauge the journal. Took us less then 30mins to pull the second time and had tore up the crank, only bright spot of this fiasco was it didn't cost me anything other then lost revenue. I will tell you it's the policy of my dealer to Loctite everything. Sorry for the long story...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1