450 No. 21439

Was hoping to have a little update to this today but didn’t get very far. Picked up a new steering wheel last Friday, cap showed up today. Started to remove the old P.O.S. Yeah, started to remove it. Think it’s going to get the hub cut. On the positive side, last brake parts showed up also. Probably drag some sort of heater to the shop and do the brake job over the long weekend. 

IMG_2720.jpeg

1 hour ago, wjohn said:

Interesting. Wonder what the story behind that was. Does look awful, but I guess it lets you steer.

It’s one of those things that previous owners do that really makes you scratch your head. Had no luck removing it today even after heating with the rosebud. Going to get the die grinder and eighth inch burr and cut a slot. Hopefully staying out of the splines. Once split it should come off easily. 

I'm gonna guess somebody large pulled them selves up onto the platform everytime they got on and probably hung on getting off too, until the spokes of the wheel broke....

Took a break from the steering wheel, to work on the brakes. It took awhile but finally got all the parts needed to fix them. New discs, springs on the left side, dust boots, and adjusting bolts. Had broken off one bolt, that was just a ton of fun to get out! Had picked Dan R's brain about this. No easy way to do it. Drilled and attempted to easy out. No dice. Was able to get most of it crumbled out then ran a tap in. Got about three and a half turns of threads. Will have to get a bolt 1/4" longer than the one I have now. At least it will have all five bolts in it even if one is not full strength. Upshot for the day, we now have brakes that work pretty darn good.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

I'm gonna guess somebody large pulled them selves up onto the platform everytime they got on and probably hung on getting off too, until the spokes of the wheel broke....

I broke the spokes on my old 350 steering wheel that looked just like this climbing onto it one winter day.  Exact scenario you describe.

9 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I broke the spokes on my old 350 steering wheel that looked just like this climbing onto it one winter day.  Exact scenario you describe.

I think they crack around the bases then they rust inside the cracked areas and weaken it . The spokes are probably 5/16" steel to start and that won't just snap off without being compromised. I've seen my share of welded up wheels 

I spotted my favorite die-grinder yesterday while looking for carbide drill-bits. Decided to stay on-task and ignored it. Will need to find a good 1/8" burr, I've got them just need to locate. It may happen today or maybe not. Pretty cold and crappy and other things to do.

One thing I really like is throwing away packaging from new parts! I accumulate them and they seem to lay around for a long time. When they go on a machine and I get to be rid of the packaging, it's just a great feeling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

...interesting   DT fan  !!!

..you blokes are so fortunate that the after market parts , are so close ...thats a real issue for us down under...the air freight  is a bit tough ......brake discs can be relined....but for reasons that escape me...only the 504  brake disc can not be relined...(I have three 504, s....sigh  )

Yeah, good read this early Saturday morning  ....like the "D" model 450   though ...:)

Mike

• Like 2

Seeing your picture of the steering wheel makes me laugh as I feel your pain. The guy that owned my 450 previous was a truck "mechanic" for a dump truck company. Lets just say I doubted his mechanical skills when I realized that he cut the throttle linkage and shortened because he didn't know how to set the governor. It also has a car steering wheel on it instead of a tractor steering wheel.... It's at least a real leather wrapped wheel that appears to have had matching splines to the tractor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Another shot of how filthy this thing is.

IMG_2808.jpeg

Somewhere some hydraulic oil is leaking or seeping I'd guess. I have re-O-ringed at times like this 

• Like 1

Just now, bitty said:

Somewhere some hydraulic oil is leaking or seeping I'd guess. I have re-O-ringed at times like this 

I suspect you are correct. Will be easier to find once the gunk is gone. This tractor will probably loose a hundred lbs. of ballast when I get it clean! That's ok, have plenty of iron around here to take it's place.

• 1 month later...

Got a little more disassembly done today. Man I hope this weather holds out! The head is coming off as I broke a manifold stud removing it. I'll bet it's fun getting that out!

• Like 1

Well, made a little progress today. Called a buddy to see if I could use his Bridgeport. Sure come on over. So I loaded up the head and most of the stuff I needed. Did manage to get the broken stud removed, It fought the good fight like everything else on this tractor has! 7/16" stud, drilled it 5/16", easy-out was a no-go! Heated with a torch, twice, still no go. Drilled it bigger, just under tap-drill size and went to work on it with a small custom chisel. Got the top part out, ran a tap in and the lower part backed out but had to remove with needle-nose pliers. Wow! That's a load off my mind.

Talking to Don after finishing up, the need for a gasket set came up. "Think I've got one upstairs" he said. He did! Also a pit-man arm for 56 series. Lucky find, need one for the 856.

Anyway, pretty good weekend for this time of year!!!

IMG_2859.jpeg

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg

• Like 5

This project is moving along faster than I thought it would! Bought a new propane manifold, ie, no paint. Was around 50 here today, so, what the heck? Put the first coat of black grill paint on it. Just about out so a trip to the store is in order. Smoothed up the casting roughness in the exhaust ports and applied the first coat of paint.

• Like 3