Jump to content

Green energy?


Lazy WP

Recommended Posts

Edison Motors - A company started in B.C by a trucker is doing some pretty neat stuff with diesel/electric setups. They're working on designing their own truck right now. Worth checking out

Trucks | Edison Motors

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Edison Motors - A company started in B.C by a trucker is doing some pretty neat stuff with diesel/electric setups. They're working on designing their own truck right now. Worth checking out

Trucks | Edison Motors

I have seen some of his stuff on FB it’s impressive and powered by a smaller diesel motor running at peak power and torque running the generator 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, forwhldrv said:

powered by a smaller diesel motor running at peak power and torque running the generator 

Same as the Tesla charging station. It's much more efficient and cleaner than running 98 gasoline cars. Really it's no different than if the power plant was running off coal or natural gas... except that the diesel can be run on demand and adjust to variable load.

Haven't read the article yet but dollars to donuts the diesel generator is only there for PEAK demand and/or standby in a power outage. I'm betting the station does most of its charging off of mains power.

But I've said too much. Don't want to confuse things with facts. We haven't had anything yet this week to get the old guys' hearts pumping, so... Carry on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Same as the Tesla charging station. It's much more efficient and cleaner than running 98 gasoline cars. Really it's no different than if the power plant was running off coal or natural gas... except that the diesel can be run on demand and adjust to variable load.

Haven't read the article yet but dollars to donuts the diesel generator is only there for PEAK demand and/or standby in a power outage. I'm betting the station does most of its charging off of mains power.

But I've said too much. Don't want to confuse things with facts. We haven't had anything yet this week to get the old guys' hearts pumping, so... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if these diesels were tier 4 emissions, which the truck one isn’t, they are no way as restricted emissions wise as an on highway vehicle. 
AND, the big selling point for Biden was that all the energy will be produced by wind and solar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Cowboy State Daily article references an article from 5/27/22 (link in the article in CSD) which references a supposed road trip by the author, Edward Niedermeyer, in May of 2015(!) to the Tesla charging location.
A diesel generator for 100 superchargers each delivering 250kw at 400v would be quite sizable. 25,000kwh is equivalent energy to 615 gallons of diesel. To produce that much energy from a diesel engine running at 30% efficiency would consume about 2,000 gallons of diesel per hour not factoring in generation and charging losses.
True story or fake news?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, acem said:

Here's a more recent article by sfgate.

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/article/tesla-interstate-5-supercharger-power-plant-18343119.php

Probably the generators are only used when they can't get enough power from the grid. But still...

It seems SFGate and CSD are sharing stories. 
From the SFG article 

The news was first broken by investigative journalist Edward Niedermeyer. In May 2015, Niedermeyer drove from his Oregon home to Harris Ranch”

 

Strange two different websites publish similar stories a year and a half after an article was written about an experience 7 years earlier? 
 

Here’s the overhead view of the charging station and next door gas station. I don’t see any big generators, am I missing it?

 

4C5C2A2E-3747-4701-AC52-9131EA4EEEA5.thumb.jpeg.7c2be66bc7d964244481dd42ddd4284d.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The article also referenced another article in 2022.

SFGate is affiliated with the San Francisco chronical and is a Pulitzer prize winning news site. I'm doubtful it's fake news.

But it's still bizarre.

This charging station is attached to the Harris ranch resort. It probably has backup generators whether Tesla was there or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, acem said:

The article also referenced another article in 2022.

SFGate is affiliated with the San Francisco chronical and is a Pulitzer prize winning news site. I'm doubtful it's fake news.

But it's still bizarre.

This charging station is attached to the Harris ranch resort. It probably has backup generators whether Tesla was there or not.

Correct. Two articles written in the last week about an article from 2022 about a road trip experience in 2015. Seems weird to me, but if it fits a narrative someone wants to believe then there’s no reason to question it I guess. Carry on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MTB98 said:

Doesn’t look like it from the ground level…IDK. What do you think?

A92EA7CD-C338-4EA2-986F-34C0D10DB03E.jpeg

There was good size trench coming from the building so that maybe a feed line from a gen set 

Either way there are sites that exist that don't have the utility support that are run off ICE gen sets 

They will still exist long after I am dead 

 

Screenshot 2023-10-04 215251.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get a real kick that someone said resort.  This in the middle of no ware on the main road from LA to SF. At about the halfway point, so most have been in the car 4 to 5 hours when they get there. Coalinga Ca. population 13,000.  It was a oil town from 1920's. In the 1990's state built a prison there. This is one step up from desert. Rolling hill and not a tree other than orchards of almonds or pistachios.   Wear the canal flows that is.

Harris ranch is 100,000 head cattle feedlot. With their own slaughter facility. That wants to known for premium beef. So they built a higher-class hotel and upscale restaurant on the freeway off ramp. Oh yes 5 or 10 miles from the feedlot.

I would guess the infrastructure is available to charge from the grid. But who knows. I beat the feed mill is not running a generator unless it is methane fueled. And of course I am sure they have a backup, because you don't get 100,000 head of cattle by accident.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, MTB98 said:

That Cowboy State Daily article references an article from 5/27/22 (link in the article in CSD) which references a supposed road trip by the author, Edward Niedermeyer, in May of 2015(!) to the Tesla charging location.
A diesel generator for 100 superchargers each delivering 250kw at 400v would be quite sizable. 25,000kwh is equivalent energy to 615 gallons of diesel. To produce that much energy from a diesel engine running at 30% efficiency would consume about 2,000 gallons of diesel per hour not factoring in generation and charging losses.
True story or fake news?

Fake or at least erroneous data, a 250kw generator requires 375hp to drive it, Diesel would be pouring out the stack to consume 2,000 gph or an entirely new display of wet stacking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...