400 hydro tank

MT Matt

Just bought a 400 with a loader.   The system is low on hydro oil, the loader only lifts half way.

IMG_9243.thumb.jpeg.dafcb04b4ef0d8a242e53fec50496504.jpeg

Looking over the hydro tank, there appears to be something missing.

IMG_9248.thumb.jpeg.d8d94a3ed70ffcbf3dd392ecd0e13305.jpeg

What is supposed to be in this hole?  A vent plug?  If not, where is the tank vented?

I took off the pipe cap from the lower drain.  The oil is very clean.  

IMG_9250.thumb.jpeg.1ad7f08deecf5e1c4cd986a048e09a13.jpeg

There is a filter plumbed into the system so that’s likely why. 

IMG_9247.thumb.jpeg.445ceadeabffd07134b456348e7b52af.jpeg

The fill port is on this side?  Also I assume there is a screen behind the four bolts to be cleaned like on a Super C or Super A system?

Remove the right side hood. You will see a stand pipe on top of the reservoir with a breather element. There is suppose to be a screen behind the plate but with the add on filter someone probably cut the screen off the plate. (have seen that happen before). Not sure about the hole. If its pipe thread put a plug in it. Reservoir should be full to the fill plug. May have to cycle the loader up and down a few times then refill reservoir

• Thanks 1

Hole finger points at is for pivot bolt on diesel models for switch over lever. Pipe plug has a dipstick brazed to it with full and low marks. Breather on pipe screwed in a 1/8 inch pipe thread hole in plate covering ledge above plug.  

• Thanks 1

Yes there should be a brass screen behind that 4 bolt cover in the bottom of the reservoir under the check plug. It can be cleaned. Often times they are not in great shape. They get snot on them from moisture in the oil and suction will try to collapse them. In cold weather it's not uncommon for the pump to make some cavitation noises till the oul warms up a bit. Since it has an add on filter someone may uave done away with it? 

On 10/5/2023 at 8:14 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Looks like a good old tractor. 

I think it is a good one. Starts right up and everything seems to work as it should. I don’t think is has had much use.  I took care of some leaks on the power steering unit yesterday and changed a front tire that was splitting. The hydraulic level was all the way down to the tip of the dipstick. Monday the hydraulic filter will get changed. Napa had to order it in. 

• Like 1