M seat with original upholstery

vtfireman85

Story is that this came from an M

that had a backhoe mounted on it, that has a home made swivel seat. I needed a new one for mine and this belonged to a local fellow. I really think it is original down to the seat upholstery. 
thoughts? 

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

IMG_1898.jpeg

I don't know if the original had a grommet drain in the middle ? 

30 minutes ago, bitty said:

I don't know if the original had a grommet drain in the middle ? 

I wondered that too, the tractor was originally in the family of the local IH dealer. If in fact that’s what it came off. The owner is still alive but suffering from dementia severely. I believe his children are trying to get his estate cleaned up as much as they can while he is still alive and things get more complicated. 

I *think* the center grommet was offered by IH, because I vaguely remember seeing one in the parts catalog. It's what mine has, and I've been pretty persnickety about keeping original. Can't say if was a running change, though.

15 hours ago, mmi said:

...Maybe IH replacement  with the hole...?

IIRC when RPM started .....? the Darst's were redoing them similar...?

There were a few original seats at the auction & one was silver with the hole in it. The seats went between $50 & $80.

Now that I want to illustrate what I'm talking about, Aumann took the pictures down for the auction & just left blank boxes up. Maybe someone here got pictures of them at the museum? They were in the dealership display area.

Mike

IH also offered upgraded parts for older equipment.

Similarly, I've seen 1066s with early 86 style seats that bolted up to the hinged spring suspension. They were offered by IH after the 86 series came out.

So it might be factory but not original?

3 hours ago, acem said:

IH also offered upgraded parts for older equipment.

Similarly, I've seen 1066s with early 86 style seats that bolted up to the hinged spring suspension. They were offered by IH after the 86 series came out.

So it might be factory but not original?

That's what I'm wondering. I have a book that might tell, but it's home and I am not.

The seat shown in my model C parts catalog has a grommet. This is revision C, but I don't know what year it was printed.

KIMG0508.JPG

There are also several seats in an IH Accessories catalog I have.

KIMG0509.thumb.JPG.ff5b1820e0a34e5002dddb218561949c.JPGKIMG0510.thumb.JPG.f40695a53d1e8b4eac899e01b7c97921.JPGKIMG0511.thumb.JPG.bf8a9798e3a88a803940387e11ba4466.JPGKIMG0512.thumb.JPG.9dd4ba22d8a8d3585a42743682c14974.JPGKIMG0513.thumb.JPG.529d8ae6ca5418e7091840d48cbb9e85.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, the folks at K&M knew their stuff about the right seat for my tractor. A 1950 Farmall had a silver seat. That was a short term feature. 1950 only, or run for just a few years.

https://www.tractorseats.com/p-563-international-harvester-hm-pan-seats-rail-mount.aspx

also, look for writing on the shock. I can't remember what mine said, but i know it was OE. I will look next time im out there if I think about it.

• Thanks 1

Seat was worn out before I learn to drive the Farmall C . So I don’t have a clue .  I do have the rusted surface permanently embedded in my butt from being in the seat many hours .

• Haha 1

I remember seeing the grommet in the seats. They were a drain if you were stupid and didn't tip the seat.

Dad let us know if we forgot.

The material was a very heavy, almost waxed, canvas and it was tough as nails.

I don't care what you had in your pockets.

I never seen a seat like that punctured.

They just wore out, little by little, over time.

4 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I remember seeing the grommet in the seats. They were a drain if you were stupid and didn't tip the seat.

Dad let us know if we forgot.

The material was a very heavy, almost waxed, canvas and it was tough as nails.

I don't care what you had in your pockets.

I never seen a seat like that punctured.

They just wore out, little by little, over time.

Was that the "naugahyde" they referenced in the accessories catalog? Or just the standard canvas?