grain bin panel repurposing

zleinenbach

Working cattle tub, curved alley way leading to squeeze chute

Depends on the diameter of the bin ifthe curve would work

Wouldn't want bolt heads sticking out, be a little rough on hides, may have to weld 

13 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

You could probably put it on Big Iron and get somebody to buy it and then they have take it down. I’ve seen some farm sales where bins smaller than that still standing have brought some decent money. 

tried that and he never showed up

Get a thick tarp or liner and make a pool.......could make the wife happy, being a landscaper bin gazebos are very popular, seen guys make small animal huts or qounsets. I had 2 small beat up port a huts on the farm I bought. Sold them for 150.00. The buyer was very nice, respectful, cleaned up after himself and didn't request help. I wish I would've kept one for split wood storage or a chicken coop.

20190208_125843.thumb.jpg.a78aa361de8db64a98ccb200f4e7b040.jpg20190406_092254.thumb.jpg.5a055b75d6fade25f74342ad02e02f07.jpg20190406_104314.thumb.jpg.939ec5977f6fc8c60c2aed7943bfc6d1.jpg

14 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Did he pay you? Don’t you usually need to pay as soon as the auction is completed? If so sell it again! Sounds like a great arrangement. 😁

this was a facebook misadventure lol

20 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

I use to have really good luck about 3 years ago selling stuff on Facebook or Craigslist. With in a week of posting it'd be sold. Couple days before or the day of, the potential buyer would message me and agree on a time and or place to meet for the asking price of the item, meet on time, cash in hand talk for 5 minutes and be on our way. The last 3 years I've gotten so frustrated with people showing up in flip flops complaining they can't shift the atv right, a person who doesn't know the difference between a screw driver or wrench wanting to work on the salvage price vehicle in my shop, wanting me to hold something for weeks on end, wanting me to deliver 2 hours away, the no calls, no shows, the 50 questions with the end response of " I have too many projects " the guy who says " next weekend " each weekend, the guy who just doesn't shut up or leave after the sale, the guy who wheels and deals but then wants change back, or the old lady who meets you somewhere with too small of a vehicle so you have to deliver the item anyways . After that I just take my stuff to a consignment lot and take the risk/hit of the item selling for whatever. Talking with the lot owner unfortunately she's dealing with the same thing. This lot doesn't need a credit to bid. There's a whole back row of equipment that was bid on, never paid for or picked up. She charges storage, sometimes it's on a card other times it's added onto the bill, sometimes the sheriff gets involved. A lot of times the item just gets resold. It's frustrating seeing an item I was interested in just sitting there. A couple times I bought something off the row of the bidding price I had. I just don't understand people " I gotta have it, but I'll get it when I get to it"

6 hours ago, mader656 said:

Ive thought they would make a pretty stout above ground pool in you could find a liner. 

A friend of mine did make one into a pool. We had removed a 16' bin and he kept the bottom 2 rings, lined it with EDPM rubber and built a deck around it. 

Not quite a grain bin panel, but a ring of Harvestore silo could probably make for decent compost storage. Just leave a panel off to get in & out or cut down a panel part way & go up 'n' over.

My thought is, the glass lined metal is not going to rot through like galvanized. Not sure how much abuse that lining would take from being pushed against by a bucket full of compost. Not going to try out that concept either. The fees for enclosed storage around here are asinine!

Mike

23 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Just the panel or the whole bin?

There’s some cool gazebos that are made from the roof and 1 row of sheets, at least I thought so…

IMG_4639.webp.cd12475ce7d5295a7bff7c9d5782850a.webp

man, i've been wanting a gazebo... makes me want to find an old grain bin to buy.  looks like that came from, what, 1000 bushel bin?  

17 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

There is a guy not far from me that works for Big Iron. I talked to him about selling some older bins that I have. They are already disassembled. He said he would come take pictures and list them. I have been meaning to get them sold because I just don’t want them. 

12 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

I use to have really good luck about 3 years ago selling stuff on Facebook or Craigslist. With in a week of posting it'd be sold. Couple days before or the day of, the potential buyer would message me and agree on a time and or place to meet for the asking price of the item, meet on time, cash in hand talk for 5 minutes and be on our way. The last 3 years I've gotten so frustrated with people showing up in flip flops complaining they can't shift the atv right, a person who doesn't know the difference between a screw driver or wrench wanting to work on the salvage price vehicle in my shop, wanting me to hold something for weeks on end, wanting me to deliver 2 hours away, the no calls, no shows, the 50 questions with the end response of " I have too many projects " the guy who says " next weekend " each weekend, the guy who just doesn't shut up or leave after the sale, the guy who wheels and deals but then wants change back, or the old lady who meets you somewhere with too small of a vehicle so you have to deliver the item anyways . That I just take my stuff to a consign lot and take the risk/hit of the item selling for whatever. Talking with the lot owner unfortunately she's dealing with the same thing. This lot doesn't need a credit to bid. There's a whole back row of equipment that was bid on, never paid for or picked up. She charges storage, sometimes it's on a card other times it's added onto the bill, sometimes the sheriff gets involved. A lot of times the item just gets resold. It's frustrating seeing an item I was interested in just sitting there. A couple times I bought something off the row of the bidding price I had. I just don't understand people " I gotta have it, but I'll get it when I get to it"

And here I thought I was the only one that had those issues!!!! 😀

I have three 8000 bushel bins that are in my way. All have air floors, unload augers, and bin fans.  I’m to the point that I’ll just take my excavator to them just to have them gone. It’s a shame, but if I keep on waiting on people, they’ll still be here in 5-10 years.  At least when I smash them up and haul them off, I know they are gone, and can get on with the next stage of the project. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 1566Hog said:

And here I thought I was the only one that had those issues!!!! 😀

I have three 8000 bushel bins that are in my way. All have air floors, unload augers, and bin fans.  I’m to the point that I’ll just take my excavator to them just to have them gone. It’s a shame, but if I keep on waiting on people, they’ll still be here in 5-10 years.  At least when I smash them up and haul them off, I know they are gone, and can get on with the next stage of the project. 

Exactly. It's a shame but it's the easiest thing to do.........you know after you do it that's when the people will reach out.

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There is a guy not far from me that works for Big Iron. I talked to him about selling some older bins that I have. They are already disassembled. He said he would come take pictures and list them. I have been meaning to get them sold because I just don’t want them. 

i bet dissassembled they'd fit on pallets and could be shipped (hot shot trailer hauling one or more at a time).  Bins down here probably bring more than in larger crop farming areas, just like grain trucks cost a lot more down here.   

2 hours ago, russ_alabama said:

i bet dissassembled they'd fit on pallets and could be shipped (hot shot trailer hauling one or more at a time).  Bins down here probably bring more than in larger crop farming areas, just like grain trucks cost a lot more down here.   

I would think that they would bring decent money being disassembled since it is expensive to get them that way. We got them for free because the local power plant was going to smash them during an expansion project.