GoPro would have been nice

bitty

So today is opening day for archery here. I hunted in the morning, went to funeral midday and went back out afterwards. I picked a different spot for wind reasons for this afternoon. It's a stand we call the eagles perch and it was originally 26' to the platform. We had added a lower floor to be able to archery hunt so shot angles were okay so it's a pretty unconventional stand. 

Here is why I think about a GoPro....

Climbing in I set my crossbow on the lower level. I proceeded to climb up to the top floor and retrieve my seat left there from rifle last year. I opened the door and a big big raccoon was right there looking at me. It hopped on the railing and jumped down out of the stand (no windows on the stand) I was thinking I might have to check my shorts . My excitement level was met for the day easily by this event 

• Haha 10

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

So today is opening day for archery here. I hunted in the morning, went to funeral midday and went back out afterwards. I picked a different spot for wind reasons for this afternoon. It's a stand we call the eagles perch and it was originally 26' to the platform. We had added a lower floor to be able to archery hunt so shot angles were okay so it's a pretty unconventional stand. 

Here is why I think about a GoPro....

Climbing in I set my crossbow on the lower level. I proceeded to climb up to the top floor and retrieve my seat left there from rifle last year. I opened the door and a big big raccoon was right there looking at me. It hopped on the railing and jumped down out of the stand (no windows on the stand) I was thinking I might have to check my shorts . My excitement level was met for the day easily by this event 

That's a "where's my machete" moment right there.....

I've driven in the northern tier several times.  There are some crazy high lookout type stands up their.  Sounds like maybe you have some of them. 26ft is getting up there.  Would have scared me too.  Coons are plentiful here.

Side not seen a doe and fawn from the tractor seat this morning.  Fawn couldn't have been much more then 15 or 20lbs.  It stood underneath its mother drinking milk like a lamb would.  It fit underneath her easily.  Seems awfully late for it to be that small. 

7 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

I've driven in the northern tier several times.  There are some crazy high lookout type stands up their.  Sounds like maybe you have some of them. 26ft is getting up there.  Would have scared me too.  Coons are plentiful here.

Side not seen a doe and fawn from the tractor seat this morning.  Fawn couldn't have been much more then 15 or 20lbs.  It stood underneath its mother drinking milk like a lamb would.  It fit underneath her easily.  Seems awfully late for it to be that small. 

That is terribly late. I'd be surprised if that makes winter ok . Certainly be stunted for life if it does make it 

I think @IH 986 has been by this stand before 

13 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

You probably have only went west to Wellsboro , we are east a few miles 

Was it an encounter like the great outdoors and John Candy?  

They're think out here right now.  I even found coon poop on the stairs and top lid of my brain bin today.  I suppose he felt on top of the world doing his job up there.

We had a mom bobcat with two kittens, if that's what they're called, last summer. This year we saw one again with no kids but last week a big male was walking the edge of the yard. I assume it was a male because of its size and it looked like it backed to a tree and sprayed like a tomcat does.

We have bobcats and I see them often. Saw one last year from this stand. I see black bears early in the fall and one that had mange actually died 30 yards away from this stand two? years ago, found the skeleton shed hunting. Been 5 sightings of mountain lions here also. I just wasn't expecting this as my mind was on moving quietly and slowly to not alert deer to my presence.  Guarantee that I will be thinking about this next time on the ladder 

I got in the habit a long time ago when you get just below  the top stave of the silo, you swing your hat or your glove up in the air to scare out the pigeons, before you pop your head up there and get a face full of high speed feathers.
Have a neighbor that used to get raccoons up in the top of his silos. I can’t imagine.  Why?  There’s food on the ground.   Climbing up on top of a silo, or a grain  bin to take a poop just seems like they are doing it to agitate us

59 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Probably just wanted scratched behind the ears Tim😄

Guessing this was the hunter's pet coon followed him out to his tree stand. 

My cousins (all girls) had a few pet coons on the ranch growing up, they were really fun and a bit mischevious

amywithpetcoon.jpg.2bbce3e32fcf73e782d002f1f50be749.jpg

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Probably just wanted scratched behind the ears Tim😄

Crazy as far as I'm concerned