Try This!

Ian Beale

A 100 years ago in America we would do this.  Now its cheaper (b/c of monetary policy) to just buy new.

Looks middle eastern ?  Need head...fix it.  Sanctions wont allow one and/or Cant go to a dealer to get a 5000 one most likely

Ya know whats  neat?  You can see the one in brown is the "old man" the kid in tore jeans "newbie" and the one with beard the apprentice.  Kind of cool thebold guy is clearly teaching

Edited by TroyDairy
  • Like 2

I've just finished reading "Khyber" by Charles Miller on the British saga in "The North West Frontier".  Published in 1977 but I doubt read by many of your hierarchy before your go there.

In it he documents the rise of the northwest village firearms industry.  At one stage the British had managed to cut off the raw material supply through Persia so. at the next haggle on tribal allowances, claim was made for compensation for that loss.

I have seen a lot of the videos like this. Are these permanent repairs or just until the new parts show up? I can’t imagine a machine shop around here that would do it because they would tell you it won’t work. Maybe in totally obsolete parts situations someone would try, but I think expectations would be low. 

As capable as they seem, you would think someone would put together a forklift. 

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I have seen a lot of the videos like this. Are these permanent repairs or just until the new parts show up? I can’t imagine a machine shop around here that would do it because they would tell you it won’t work. Maybe in totally obsolete parts situations someone would try, but I think expectations would be low. 

As capable as they seem, you would think someone would put together a forklift. 

Supposedly there is a shop in Iowa, I think, that will do that on 30 series Case heads. They are obsolete though any dealers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Supposedly there is a shop in Iowa, I think, that will do that on 30 series Case heads. They are obsolete though any dealers. 

I’ve been in Precision Rebuilders shop in Rock Valley a few times.  They have specialized “furnaces” if you will to heat heads up slowly to a strong red temperature.  The entire head is heated.  Once the head is hot, any welding work is done, while the head is still in the furnace, with only a minimum of head exposed.  Once the welding is complete, the head is allowed to cool back down very slowly (days).  Of course that kind of heating will cause all manner of distortion, so pretty much everything needs to be re machined.  I’ve seen a few of these Paki repair videos and they are utter barbarians.  I really wonder how long those fixes last.  One of the latest Cutting Edge Engineering videos covered a cast iron transmission box from a wheel loader that had some cracks in a flange around a shaft bore.  $18,000 dollar casting (new).  Kurtis took a shot at fixing it and it went disastrously wrong, with cracks popping all over.  May very well be that the casting was somewhat suspect to begin with but I thought the preheat process was much too localized and much too fast.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stronger800 said:

That’s true too.  I’ll admit, I do like watching the videos of what those guys can do….with very little. 
The guys in the above video at least had safety glasses on now and then. Usually it’s just safety sandals 

I have watched some of these videos.  I wonder how they don’t burn their feet and clothes off welding.  I wear leather shoes, an FR shirt and carhartt  pants when welding and I still have plenty of burn scars on my arms and upper body.  
Some of the videos where they  turn things up in lathes are pretty cool.  I am also surprised they don’t seem to use any form of impact wrench.   Somebody must have a pretty good brake because there seems to be lots of new frame rails around.