7140 hot

ISP1086

2 hours ago, ISP1086 said:

Chopping stalks with a 7140 magnum. Engine temp is running right next to the redline on a 70 degree day. Going in 8th gear not over working it. Radiator and grill are clean full of fluid. Where to look?

Check and see if its actually getting hot. If it is check thermostat, fan clutch ect. Unless you are pulling like a 40 foot stalk chopper lol

• Like 1

Everyone should have an infrared thermometer! They are on sale about every month for $30 from Hobo Freight, Hardware stores, etc... the most indispensable tool to be in the shop or house!

thermometer.webp

• Like 2

Has this been an all of a sudden problem or has it been getting progressively worse ? 

My 7120 always sat on the warm side. We used to convert 7120's on up with the 7110 fan parts thus eliminating the clutch. It was a fan, hub and bolts. I bought a kit this spring from a local shop I do business with. It came I believe from Northern radiator. Around 300.00. It now runs on the low side. 

Do NOT use the eliminator weld assembly from Abilene machine. He said he had a couple of come loose and take out the radiator. Funny thing was. In the kit I got the fan had the Case number stamped right on.

20 hours ago, ISP1086 said:

Progressively getting worse 

20 hours ago, ISP1086 said:

I don’t think so. Moving a lot of air. 

Few suggestions

You said the radiator is clean. Did you unbolt the coolers in front of it and blow it out extremely thorough from the back side? I've seen them look clean but they were slightly plugged. 

If it's starving for fuel or timing is off they can overheat I think although it wouldn't make sense for the timing to move I don't think. 

Could be inside the radiator needs "rodded out" . 

Do you know what history is for the tractor? Has bars leak been used in it ever ? 

Come to think of it the hydraulic cooler was slightly plugged on the 7140 one year and hindered engine cooling so double check the coolers with the blow gun also 

Having owned 9 Magnums over the years I've never had one that couldn't cool enough no matter how good they ran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 6:46 PM, bitty said:

Few suggestions

You said the radiator is clean. Did you unbolt the coolers in front of it and blow it out extremely thorough from the back side? I've seen them look clean but they were slightly plugged. 

If it's starving for fuel or timing is off they can overheat I think although it wouldn't make sense for the timing to move I don't think. 

Could be inside the radiator needs "rodded out" . 

Do you know what history is for the tractor? Has bars leak been used in it ever ? 

Come to think of it the hydraulic cooler was slightly plugged on the 7140 one year and hindered engine cooling so double check the coolers with the blow gun also 

Having owned 9 Magnums over the years I've never had one that couldn't cool enough no matter how good they ran 

Our 7130 would always run on hot side. I changed fan clutch but I was going to change radiator also but we sold it.