Propane tanks?

AKwelder

I learned my lesson on propane tanks. When we bought the place 30 years ago I installed a gas cooking stove as i dislike cooking on electric. I called Amerigas and they installed two 100lb (I think) tanks and kept them full. It turned out that for that convenience we were paying almost $5.00/gallon! Flash forward to two years ago when we decided to stop burning wood and oil in our dual fuel ancient furnace and had an air source heat pump installed with a condensing gas furnace heat backup. After doing a little research on propane prices I realized how badly Amerigas was ripping us off. Owning your own tank lets you buy from whomever has the price.

Shopping around I found I could buy used, used refurbished, or new. One local company had a good price on new and would deliver and plumb it for the price and also would lock in a fixed price if we bought from them. I trenched for the line to the proper depth and put the required sand bed. They delivered, installed regulator, plumbed, pressure tested the whole system in time for the building inspector to see while he was signing off on the HVAC system and then filled it. It wasn't cheap at $3600. I could have beaten with used or refurb but time was of the essence and there was going to be an inspection as the HVAC guys had pulled a permit.

The locked in price was $2.19 for two years which jumped to $2.89 now. I haven't shopped around except a quick Google search that says NH average price is $3.77.

New England prices are high but nowhere near Alaska!

Got my favorite calamari at the Glacier Bay Brewpub last week in Anchorage. It was already down in the low 30s in the morning. I don't know how you Alaskans take the winters.

I installed underground 1000 gal about 23 years ago. Self owner. Competition worked for 10-12 years until Ferrellgas bought all their competitors. Paid 1.89 this year, late summer 

They did a conductivity test of some kind a couple years ago, first and only. The old feller that did the test said that they were supposed to be inspected more often then they do, but did not elaborate?

• Like 1

I just checked and it is $1.47 currently. 

In the past we could contract however many gallons we thought would get us through the winter, but with the sale of the station there will be no contracts this year. 

I think it was two years ago one of the refineries in ND had their storage full and could not stop production so was giving it away (or maybe charging a nickel a gallon) to anyone who would show up with a tanker. 

They were burning the excess off into the atmosphere

We thought about sending me up there but decided against it. 

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I just checked and it is $1.47 currently. 

In the past we could contract however many gallons we thought would get us through the winter, but with the sale of the station there will be no contracts this year. 

I think it was two years ago one of the refineries in ND had their storage full and could not stop production so was giving it away (or maybe charging a nickel a gallon) to anyone who would show up with a tanker. 

They were burning the excess off into the atmosphere

We thought about sending me up there but decided against it. 

They should’ve sent you!! It would do you good to be a regional driver instead of strictly local!😂😁😉 Honestly I’m surprised that they didn’t jump all over it. Freight couldn’t have been that much. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

They should’ve sent you!! It would do you good to be a regional driver instead of strictly local!😂😁😉 Honestly I’m surprised that they didn’t jump all over it. Freight couldn’t have been that much. 

I m not a real trucker.

Just a driver that likes being home every night😄

• Like 1

I own one tank and will lease the other... anyone can fill the owned tank...but the leased tank must be filled by the one company...but...you do the math

Leased vs buying tank is about a 30 year payout around here. When i bought the first tank 9 years ago it was a 6 year payback...

15 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I know a person who bought a pair of 1450 gallon anhydrous ammonia tanks without running gear. After cleaning them out he has them set up to use them for propane.  I think he told me they cost him $350 apiece. 

The anhydrous ammonia tanks need the valves changed to propane valves. 

I assume these are very spendy now days as they cost about $300 20 years ago.

But yes, they are the same tanks as propane.

1,000+ gallon propane tanks are off the scale high here right now.

If you are burning propane in a vehicle, on the roads, you could be required to have the tank tested. Check your state?

If you are hauling propane on the highway, You definitely need to be tested regularly. (DOT)

The only recent tank valve replacement was the OPD (Overflow Protection Device) that was on your barbecue tank, etc..

19 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I know a person who bought a pair of 1450 gallon anhydrous ammonia tanks without running gear. After cleaning them out he has them set up to use them for propane.  I think he told me they cost him $350 apiece. 

Reminds me of a story that an old farmer told me. He did a lot of welding for the local FS and they dropped off an anhydrous wagon, to have some repairs done on the running gear. He said that he had it parked in front of the shop, welder set up and a bucket to sit on. Said that he struck an arc and lost it. Was waving the rod around to strike another arc and nothing. Flipped his hood up and the wagon was sitting in the shop. 
Not sure how it happened but the valve must have been open and it lit up the LP fumes, pushing the wagon about 20’. 
He said that he filled the tank with gas engine fumes and then welded it.

Here in North Dakota out west they have stripper plants for the crude oil. They must strip the natural gas out of well and convert it to propane. Our local price now is in the 1.20 area also. My wife’s cousin had a bulk oil, propane convenience store. He told me if propane is below a dollar it is under 10 cents wholesale at the stripper plants. A few years ago prooane went to 5:00 a gal then a year or 2 later it dropped to 69 cents cash. He told me then rack price was 6 cents delivered to his storage was around 35 cents total.  We burned propane in the shop always though 1.29 propane was the same as 2.80 fuel but our fuel furnace was older than propane.

I don't think there are any independent propane suppliers left near me. One smaller company, but they always seem high for the last 20 years.  The one independent sold to Western Propane that has a headquarters address in New England. 

I bought a used 500 gal tank in 79, for $500 I think.  Three years ago in summer with 10 to 20% the pop off valve when on a 100 degree day. It cost me $500 to get every valve, gauge, and plug replaced on the tank, as well as regulator and pig tail line. Including the bottom liquid valve you can fill tractor tanks from.

Since my independent was not even though the truck still has the old name on it. I price shopped and the big company here had a new customer price of $3.99 which is about $1.50 less than the rest. The new outfit visually inspected my tank and the furnace. I happened to be around, plate on my says made in 1965. The inspector claimed a loose fitting on the furnace on my roof. Which had me thinking well here goes all the price savings, but he put wrench to it and said all was good.

I know the state is up to $1.50 in tax on a gal of gas, so propane probably has close to that as well. They must wean we deplorables from burning carbon some way. Was also surprised they don't run the trucks on propane anymore as the factory will not build the emission features into it with the propane. So both service truck and bobtail are diesels.

There is guy that deals in government surplus and plan junk has been advertising propane tanks from a 100 to 2000 gal. But could not find any of his adds the last day or two. I think used tanks with new paint maybe $3 a gal, but not real sure.