difference between the 312 and 360

pt756

Hello again did a search and found a lot of answers, the only reason I asked is I ran across a 312 today complete except for then front and rear plates, which we already have, and yes I found out the front plate is hard to find, know of 2 more sitting in a salvage yard, guy wants to sell the whole engine , anyway pretty sure I am going to get the 312 as it has all the things we need for the dt360, owner said it has about 12k hours on it when the hydro gave out,

I'd have to do some searching but I was thinking that the Ag and Truck 360 blocks might be different.    Maybe they were the same and it was the other parts that are different.  Ag and truck cranks are different I remember and I was thinking the rods and or pistons too.   I forget if it was Ed Leaman here or someone on pulloff forum but I think with the right combo of parts from each you could bolt together one that is like 410 cu in. I think that was an ag 360 crank in a truck block. 

An Ag 360 and 312 I am sure the blocks are the same. 

I'm hoping we get to see pictures when you get this project completed. 

The ag 312 and 360 are identical except longer stroke. The 360 crank will go in a 312 block, then use a 360 overhaul kit to have a 360. The dt360 has a different bore and stroke than either ag engine, so combining the two would require custom work. I think the actual block is slightly shorter on the dt, but have never measured them side by side 

I recall the ag having a taller deck height but could be mistaken.

Hello, so where i found this 312, the guys do a lot of their own work, they put a 312 in a 656 that had a 282 in it before,( they have a few 466 motors that they plan to install on other tractors) the 312 fit under the fuel tank and even under the heat shield, was tempted to try the 312 in the 756 as they said it did run, but still think the 360 will liven the 756 up, was nothing wrong before with the 310 though, I assume the dt360 isnt going to be much taller than a 312 od even the same height, I will admit there that using the dt360 there is a fair amount of things that need to be changed, however with the 312 we should have all the donor parts, was having a hard time=locating the tach drive before i found this complete engine, and if we are lucky and the fuel system works that would be a plus, as i mentioned before I wouldnt  go out and look for a dt360, this one is sitting in the guys shop who had done all the previous repairs, In hindsight had I known we were going to have this much trouble with the overhaul we should of done the 360 then, I wanted to keep it original then,  so I talked to the original owner of this 312, funny it was less than 10 miles from us, It was in a hydro and that was getting week, so they pulled tractor around when they needed a blower tractor to fill silo, then the pto went out, thats when they sold it for salvage, locally, guy said his grandpa bought it knew, had a lot of hours on it but still ran good and didnt use no oil, Then we got to talking while he was doing his cow chores, mentioned about how much things cost, had to put a reman in a 7140, at a dealer, claims 32 thousand when all done with a one year guarantee, 

the reason i ask is I have bought a 312 complete, it has 12 thousand hours on it, owner bought it new , and finally hydro and pto gave out, still would like the 360 engine in the 756 and have already located a 360 crankshaft . the 312 probably wouldnt be much different then the old 310? Well so now I have 3 3ngines to choose from tolld the guy one of them should work,anyway now we have all the parts to do the dt360 if we go that route, thanks for replies