Jump to content

Tractor of the week. Week 39: 1456


nepoweshiekfarmalls

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

Your third picture down belongs to Long farms

Yep and it’s also my screensaver on my phone!😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Don’t have one but a neat story : my dad got a 1456 toy (ICB Cab) Christmas Day 1971 when he was a year and a half old. Thirty years later on Christmas Day 2001 I got a 756 toy (Hiniker Cab) when I was nine months old. We both still have these today. His has been restored, mine is original. 
 

My great grandpa had a true Wheatland 1206 and the neighbors had a Case 1200. The 1206 would out pull the Case and supposedly the 4166 that he replaced the 12 with. 

That's the second time I've heard a story about a 2wheel drive tractor out performing a 4wd in the field on here. The first was a 6030 outdoing a White 4-180 I believe. In my mind these 2wd tractors would have to be turned up wouldn't they? These are cool stories I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how it's possible? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

That's the second time I've heard a story about a 2wheel drive tractor out performing a 4wd in the field on here. The first was a 6030 outdoing a White 4-180 I believe. In my mind these 2wd tractors would have to be turned up wouldn't they? These are cool stories I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how it's possible? 

The 4-180 vs 6030 was a story that I told. I wouldnt have believed it either, but I ran both tractors and the 6030 would out pull the White.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

The 4-180 vs 6030 was a story that I told. I wouldnt have believed it either, but I ran both tractors and the 6030 would out pull the White.

Maybe duals vs no duals? The only other reason would be these 4wd models didn't make enough power to take advantage of the added traction. I honestly have more hours on D8 crawlers and BRON drainage machines in the field than tractors so I'm no expert on the subject. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can not remember one single 1456 in this neck of the woods when I was growing up. Lots of other Red iron though. Not saying there weren't any, just none I knew of.

How can you not just love the '56 series in general? '66 and '06, and '86 all have their strong points but the '56 were just the cats ***!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I can not remember one single 1456 in this neck of the woods when I was growing up. Lots of other Red iron though. Not saying there weren't any, just none I knew of.

How can you not just love the '56 series in general? '66 and '06, and '86 all have their strong points but the '56 were just the cats ***!!!

  I only remember one as a kid and it was over 25 miles away.  I also remember one 4156 just outside of Geneva, NY.  Saw it mostly pulling around trailers in the field loading cabbage.  Seemed like it was wet at least there every year during the 1970's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Id group the big 06/56 in the same family myself. I've ran a lot of different equipment in my time but nothing else that I've ran has had the snappiness and relentless attitude that these tractors exhibit. I've only test drove 1456s but listening to that engine run is therapeutic. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

Maybe duals vs no duals? The only other reason would be these 4wd models didn't make enough power to take advantage of the added traction. I honestly have more hours on D8 crawlers and BRON drainage machines in the field than tractors so I'm no expert on the subject. 

They were both in-furrow plows, and had duals on the land side. 
Same family had a 1456 before the 6030. It had engine issues and ended up in a salvage yard in Sikeston, MO. That was early/mid 80’s.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

They were both in-furrow plows, and had duals on the land side. 
Same family had a 1456 before the 6030. It had engine issues and ended up in a salvage yard in Sikeston, MO. That was early/mid 80’s.

6030 probably already had the 619 treatment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 1970 1456. It was sold new in Iowa. I bought it from Ed Leaman in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in October 1993. It had a cab from factory , but Leaman had the cab off to do a TA job when I looked at it. My silage chopper had hand controls for the spout, so a cab would have been a problem, so I bought it without the cab.  I bought fenders from a salvage operation and installed them. I painted tractor in 1994. The side emblems, which need paint to make them look new, and the Turbo decal are still in a cabinet in my shop. I added an aftermarket ROPS and canopy 15 or so years ago. Most pictures below are of it in the field pulling forage harvester, which is mostly my use for it.

Marshall on Tractor.jpg

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

013.JPG

002.JPG

039.JPG

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

6030 probably already had the 619 treatment.

 Both tractors in question were tested at the same horsepower on the drawbar and within 5 hp of each other on the PTO.  A jacked 531 was perfectly capable of out pulling a high strung cat 3208.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

 Both tractors in question were tested at the same horsepower on the drawbar and within 5 hp of each other on the PTO.  A jacked 531 was perfectly capable of out pulling a high strung cat 3208.  

True but he said it was in the mid to late 1980's so I bet it was a 200+hp 619. 6030's had a low center of gravity and are balanced well. Probably even out weighed the 4-180

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD did a demonstration with 2 wheel drive vrs. 4 wheel in the seventies. both were weighted the same and dyno'd to the same hp. They were linked with a cable pulley system to a sled. On good solid ground it was a draw. On loose soil the 4x4 had the advantage.  It all comes down to conditions. Back to the 1456; ours had inside tires loaded and 2 sets of wt.s with factory duels, 18.4's were not big enough to hold it down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

JD did a demonstration with 2 wheel drive vrs. 4 wheel in the seventies. both were weighted the same and dyno'd to the same hp. They were linked with a cable pulley system to a sled. On good solid ground it was a draw. On loose soil the 4x4 had the advantage.  It all comes down to conditions. Back to the 1456; ours had inside tires loaded and 2 sets of wt.s with factory duels, 18.4's were not big enough to hold it down.

I remember reading a Successful Farming or Farm Journal article about that or a similar test.  6030 vs. 7520.  Duals on both.  This test had both tractors pulling a big dozer against its engine compression, through a spreader hitch as you mentioned.  Like you said, on sod they pulled the same, but the 7520 did better on loose ground.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Don’t have one but a neat story : my dad got a 1456 toy (ICB Cab) Christmas Day 1971 when he was a year and a half old. Thirty years later on Christmas Day 2001 I got a 756 toy (Hiniker Cab) when I was nine months old. We both still have these today. His has been restored, mine is original. 
 

 

My Grandpa purchased this 1456 toy when I was born for his grandchildren to play with when they would visit. I was the only one of the 4 of us to play with it!  He gave it to me for my collection when I moved in with him in 1996.  All original condition. A jewel in my collection. 

20230930_092155.thumb.jpg.a5ce00f96c950a00cc49e4fc12d4452d.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

My Grandpa purchased this 1456 toy when I was born for his grandchildren to play with when they would visit. I was the only one of the 4 of us to play with it!  He gave it to me for my collection when I moved in with him in 1996.  All original condition. A jewel in my collection. 

20230930_092155.thumb.jpg.a5ce00f96c950a00cc49e4fc12d4452d.jpg

  I had one of those and like a dumb kid I let it get run over.  I cried at the time but was a good lesson in taking care of things.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t mean to get this off topic…. I don’t have a pic of dads 1456 toy but I do have one of my 756. Pictured with it is a cap I had when I was little. Probably a 20 year old hat. Still have it.

753720FA-2B43-477E-9D89-EC4D8F2CF6D2.thumb.jpeg.44d5f2f07d622292dff50851f5ce98ae.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

That's the second time I've heard a story about a 2wheel drive tractor out performing a 4wd in the field on here. The first was a 6030 outdoing a White 4-180 I believe. In my mind these 2wd tractors would have to be turned up wouldn't they? These are cool stories I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how it's possible? 

I wasn’t around then. I know nothing about the 1200 except I would be pretty sure it did not have duals, same with the 4166. 

Great Grandpa had the 1206 from 1967 - 1974 when he traded it for the 4166. The 12 had 38 inch rear tires with big cast weights bolted to the outside of the wheel castings. I’m not sure if they were on the inside too. I wouldn’t doubt it. In 1969 or so it had 34 inch duals added, then after a couple years they got a pair of 38 inch duals. Around 1969 it also got a set of suitcase weights. 

I don’t know when the 1206 and 1200 would have been compared…… if great grandpa and neighbor figured that out or ran them side by side. I would guess it would have been in the later 60’s. (The 1206 replaced a 650. When the 12 came home new, they hooked both up to Miller bars and the 12 was quieter than 650).

The 4166 on the other hand had 23.1 x 26 8 ply tires. I would highly doubt great grandpas 1206 was ever turned up on power. I’m fully confident that it WAS a well taken care of 1206. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...