Johnson Grain Saver for Soybean Platforms

FarmerFixEmUp

I  picked up a 25 foot 973 platform for my TR86 combine. The former owner said it had a Johnson Grain Saver on it at one time but took it off since he had a hard time getting beans to flip over it. I have one on my 20 foot 973 and had one on my 15' 972 before that. I've seen lots of times where it prevented rocks from going into the header. Also saves soybeans from sickle shatter going over the front. Think it's worth it or go with 3" flexible hose like I've seen before?

https://wajohnson.com/grain-saver-rock-guard

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=495840&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

Photograph Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Line

• Like 1

I had one on my 1020 for a few years. But what I didn't like. It is so close the the back edge of sickle, after it cuts the beans. Especially shorter ones, they bunch up before the reel can flip them in.  I felt it was cutting pods up and they were getting lost on the ground. But it works great to keep all the beans from rolling off floor sheets. 6 of 1, half dozen other.....lol

I took it off. Been laying in loft for 10 years. Have never regretted taking it off.

Trash and rootballs don't seem to push like they occasionally would.

I did put a flex hose,1 1/2" I'm thinking  on a 1020 before my head I have now. I actually think it worked better. It was like the one in your pic.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 8:17 PM, ole 815 said:

I

I did put a flex hose,1 1/2" I'm thinking  on a 1020 before my head I have now. I actually think it worked better. It was like the one in your pic.

Was it 1 1/2" ID bumblebee hose, or 2 or 3"?  The hose in that picture looks like 2" ID, same as what I use on my transfer pump for filling the sprayer. 

I had a set on my John Deere 220 head for years. Worked good on there. Even stopped an old rotary hoe wheel. When I got my 1660 and 1020 head I ordered a kit. I couldn't get that head to feed no matter what I did. Took of the grain saver and the head worked great. I called them and explained everything. Great guys. They said just return it. I have no idea why it worked on one head and not another.

5 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Was it 1 1/2" ID bumblebee hose, or 2 or 3"?  The hose in that picture looks like 2" ID, same as what I use on my transfer pump for filling the sprayer. 

Been a while, but I think it was 1 1/2" bumble bee. I know it wasn't bigger than that.

1 hour ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Thanks for sharing - I saw one of these but thought it was a little too much $ for what we have.  I like the hose idea.  Thanks for sharing.

IMG_3610.jpeg

I believe the metal Johnson setup is $25 a foot.  The hose would be really easy to put on and remove if you don't need it or it doesn't work. Looks like they use the bolts that hold the guards on the cutter bar for the clamp attachment.  

I have a piece of the 2" ID hose and it's 2 1/'2"  OD.  About the same height as the Johnson pieces. Maybe should check 1 1'2" like ole 815 had. 

On my 20' head with the Johnson setup I adjusted the reel lift cylinder mount bolts higher so the reel teeth couldn't hit it. And it seems like you have to run the reel a bit faster than without it. 

KIMG0126.JPG

• Like 1