What is the best alternator for a 5488 ?

dannyredfan

I have had this 5488 for 4 years. It had a delco 10si?    Standard alt.   I got the AC going about 2 years ago and put a 100A. 10si on it.
 Was told that would be the best to run Ac and lights.       
Well two summers use, and it’s out😒.  Is / was there a heavier option.    I have put two alternators on in four years.   Maybe 50/60 hrs a year.    

1 hour ago, dannyredfan said:

I have had this 5488 for 4 years. It had a delco 10si?    Standard alt.   I got the AC going about 2 years ago and put a 100A. 10si on it.
 Was told that would be the best to run Ac and lights.       
Well two summers use, and it’s out😒.  Is / was there a heavier option.    I have put two alternators on in four years.   Maybe 50/60 hrs a year.    

well danny, not sure regarding size/brand but i can attest that I have blown out my 5088 2x since i have owned it in about 5yrs - i honestly think they are under rated or something - possibly the parts for them are not as good as they used to be ?

I told the guy that rebuilt it the first time i didnt want to have to come back so I was more than willing to pay more to get better parts and not have this issue - he said he would order some other stuff to put in it, not sure what he did but it had been less than 6 mos since his rebuild when it went, i can say that it was kinda full of dust and maybe not cooling as well so I took note of that and have done a better job of keeping it blown/washed out since then and it hasnt blown out.

He did charge me 20 bucks for something so hoping it was overrated diodes or something of better quality. I am not sure if what is in my 5088 is the original I just know it went out a few mos after i purchased it then went another 6 mos after the rebuild. Both X i had been mowing CRP and lots of debris/dust and it was around 80degrees out running A/C. 

hopefully you get better life next time im going on 2 yrs on this second rebuild. Knock on wood!

• Thanks 1

Mike is great.

I run 12si alternators on cab tractors, combines and other equipment with higher amps. It's like a 10si but has better cooling. 

I understand that 50 series tractors can eat alternators if the forward cooling system isn't working properly. It's supposed to pull air past the engine and out the front in addition to the air that goes through the radiator. There are sealing strips that eventually go bad.

Additionally an exhaust engine leak near the alternator can kill it quickly.

• Like 1

Acem is spot on. The 10si cooling is marginal for a continuous high amp especially if not out in the breeze or getting clogged by debris. Originally they were 37 amps up to about 60 amps max but you can get 140 amp stators for them. The stator is the controlling component but the cooling and diodes are not up to it. 12si were up to 94 amps stock and will work with a higher capacity stator. If you're running the AC and a half dozen incandescent flood lights it's a considerable load.

The ideal small frame Delco alternator from that era is a hybrid with the 12si from end and 10si rear with swing brushes. I've never seen one factory made but have built them myself.

But do check your airflow and exhaust manifold.

I've seen a heat shield on exhaust manifolds in other applications. I think it might be helpful on these engines.

19 hours ago, acem said:

Mike is great.

I run 12si alternators on cab tractors, combines and other equipment with higher amps. It's like a 10si but has better cooling. 

I understand that 50 series tractors can eat alternators if the forward cooling system isn't working properly. It's supposed to pull air past the engine and out the front in addition to the air that goes through the radiator. There are sealing strips that eventually go bad.

Additionally an exhaust engine leak near the alternator can kill it quickly.

I’ve seen some IH 50 series tractors with a custom cut rectangular hole cut in the engine side panel right beside the alternator.

The holes are sometimes covered over with some sort of screening. These holes supposedly let more air get in to help cool the alternator.

I’ve seen some half-as_ed looking holes cut, with no screening at all, and also some very nicely done screened and finished and painted modifications that looked like the ventilation hole was there from the factory.

I thought l had a picture of a nicely done mod like this at one time, but I’m not finding it anywhere in my files at this time. 

14 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I used those on my boats, two on the Wellcraft. Two 10si that I built with, I think, 90 or 100 amp stators. I think the screens may block a lot of cooling but in the boat the engine room was pretty cool and with two on line the load was pretty light even running the inverter. The gen set took care of the heavy AC load when running the heat pump. Other boats I had just didn't have much of a load on the single except bringing the house battery back up but that was transient.

Factory was either a Niehoff or 3 terminal(swing arm brushes) 15SI Delco. The Niehoff's held up well. The Delco's not very well. What we found out worked well was the Delco type used on Gleaner combines. Going from memory but it may have been a 22SI

If the larger frame (21/22si) Delco alternators will fit they would be great.

Never thought to try. Assumed they wouldn't fit inside the side panel.

I still think a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and alternator could be helpful.