Cockshutt

ShannonLiggett

On 9/26/2023 at 6:57 AM, MTB98 said:

Anyone know anything about Cockshutt seed drills? There’s one coming up for auction soon. Were those built by Cockshutt or someone else? Anything in the way of parts availability today? 

When i started farming  there was an iron wheeled Cockshutt drill in the barn.Wooden boxes. I was told it was purchased during the early years of WW 2. I cleaned it up and got it working.I seeded about 100 acres of wheat with it. Pulled it with an tired 8n Ford. The old Ford burnt the exhaust pipes and muffler clean off. I ran it pretty hard. Got a great stand of 45 bu wheat.The drill worked as new. Next year i bought a JD van brunt . It wasnt as good as the Cockshutt but it did have rubber tires. About 1973 if I remember right

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

When i started farming  there was an iron wheeled Cockshutt drill in the barn.Wooden boxes. I was told it was purchased during the early years of WW 2. I cleaned it up and got it working.I seeded about 100 acres of wheat with it. Pulled it with an tired 8n Ford. The old Ford burnt the exhaust pipes and muffler clean off. I ran it pretty hard. Got a great stand of 45 bu wheat.The drill worked as new. Next year i bought a JD van brunt . It wasnt as good as the Cockshutt but it did have rubber tires. About 1973 if I remember right

If the picture on the website is the correct one, this one is on rubber tires. Thanks for the info!

19 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

sold in Salina KS a couple weeks ago...

378790625_6633527700075215_2403922978352197921_n.jpg

378934556_6595862633800636_7502077145478350578_n.jpg

379677597_6995449217153338_2769638856676707750_n.jpg

377916829_6558927424185373_905109230897196444_n.jpg

375680886_24726686893597335_8102936483930557169_n.jpg

I tried to buy it, but I had just ordered a steel building and my wife took my check book and cards😡

25 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

A feller needs to keep a little set back for times like that......

Yeah, but my wide open shop gets damp if we ever get rain. I probably have enough tractors until I get them all back in working order, then I’ll add to them. 

took this ( road sign)the day I picked up my 1850. Cockshutt Road, Cockshutt Park, Cockshutt Bridge in Brantford. but anyone younger than Boomers don't know what Cockshutt was

Theres also some homes/mansions that were theirs

glenhyrstgallery.jpg

Cockshutt Summer House

cockrd.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hillman said:

took this ( road sign)the day I picked up my 1850. Cockshutt Road, Cockshutt Park, Cockshutt Bridge in Brantford. but anyone younger than Boomers don't know what Cockshutt was

Theres also some homes/mansions that were theirs

glenhyrstgallery.jpg

Cockshutt Summer House

cockrd.jpg

I am much younger then a Boomer and I know what Cockshutt was we have a old Cockshutt 246 Cultivator sadly my brother wreaked it in the stone field by pulling out stones with it. Makes me mad every time thinking of it. He doesn't give a crap about old stuff

7 hours ago, U-C said:

I am much younger then a Boomer and I know what Cockshutt was we have a old Cockshutt 246 Cultivator sadly my brother wreaked it in the stone field by pulling out stones with it. Makes me mad every time thinking of it. He doesn't give a crap about old stuff

I was referring to Brantford residents who have no idea what those things were named after. I think it's fair to say tractor guys are aware of Cockshutt 

4 hours ago, hillman said:

I was referring to Brantford residents who have no idea what those things were named after. I think it's fair to say tractor guys are aware of Cockshutt 

Lol well that is true for Canadian and American tractor guys but Europeans never heard of em ... maybe in the last few years but not before