Cockshutt

ShannonLiggett

I saw a post asking about old Cockshutt tractors.  We have quite a few of them still around in Wisconsin.  We had several dealers here back in the day.  My grandparents had Massey Harris tractors and a Cockshutt, a 40 I believe.  From what I remember they were really good tractors.  Parts were pretty easy to be had because they had Timken transmissions and differentials in them.  Buda engines as well that were strong.  I would think you can still get parts fairly easy.

At one time I think Dad had 6 570 Super, a 570 and a 50. The 570 series were all Hercules engines. The 560 I had was a 4 cylinder Perkins. 
Dads main Super was dynoed at 115. I think factory they were 77?

They were never tested at the Nebraska test lab so they couldn’t be sold in Nebraska. 

A friend of mine has one of the largest collections of Cockshutt's ever found.

I think he says he is missing one very odd tractor.

They do have get togethers like our RPRU.

• Like 1

I think the cockshutt styled sheet metal rivials ih in my opinion . 20 s 30 40 50 are the set up . If you have a golden eagle well that’s the show. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 6:32 PM, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_6973.jpeg

IMG_6974.jpeg

I have one sort of.  

that Gambles you have would have highly sought after up here, please post pics again

Cockshutts were also sold as Co ops and Gambles in the USA. BBG has a beauty

I have owned a few 30s, a 40 and a 550, The Golden Arrow is the same as a 550 with the classic sheet metal. I had a 1 row New Idea corn picker a longtime ago and picked with  the 550 for the heck of it. It operated like a much more modern tractor IMHO

I've still got the 50 my dad bought in 1960 as well as the 40 he bought in 1967. Put in lots of hours on both of them. I used to run a 50 diesel for a neighbour and that Buda six was a real smooth runner. This photo of Dad's 50 was taken about 50 years ago. 40 is beside it on the seed wagon. 

50 and van brunt.jpg

• Like 6

A good local friend was president of the International Cockshutt club. He had a fantastic collection, and I worked on every one of them… including the Golden Arrow. Decent tractors, and proudly built close to home. 

• Like 2

this Cockshutt 40 with a Perkins diesel is for sale on KIJIJ $7500 CAD 🤓 That Perkins would have been a very good alternative to all the other diesels sold at that time

My Uncle bought one brand new and they traded it in on a Massey 165 brand new. The Massey is long gone and the family is still regret selling the 40, It served them well

9107a1fb-3e7d-4776-9616-3b8fee9eed80?rule=kijijica-640-jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

There was a Canadian Co-op 30 or CCIL 30.  I think that would be the rarest of them all.  

I think Co-op called the Cockshutt 30 the E3, not only in the States but also in Canada

the Cockshutt 20 was the E2, the 40 the E4 and the 50 the E5

20 minutes ago, U-C said:

I think Co-op called the Cockshutt 30 the E3, not only in the States but also in Canada

the Cockshutt 20 was the E2, the 40 the E4 and the 50 the E5

IMG_6982.jpeg

IMG_6981.jpeg

This is what I was referring to.  They were called the E3 but CCIL.  Canadian Cooperative Implements Limited.  The article says 4 versions of the 30 were sold.  Cockshutt 30, Co-op E3,  Gambles Farmcrest 30, and the above CCIL E3.  

5 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Screenshot (365).png

That has to be the first of the merger tractors. I thought Dads 570Super was a 67 model and they sure weren’t an Oliver rebadged 

I went and picked up a tractor I got at a consignment sale today. I looked the equipment over the day before the sale and put a bid in on one tractor over the phone with the auctioneer.

This was not there or advertised and I am disappointed I didn't bid on it

image.thumb.jpeg.4e2a9359b55c6e6103e71b06eeaec0de.jpeg

• Like 1