Jump to content

560D seems to be lacking in power....


Absent Minded Farmer

Recommended Posts

I was able to dyno the 560 on the belt at the show last weekend & it only put out 50 HP. Not sure if I did something wrong or what. Haven't dyno'd a tractor on a belt before. There was the option to run it on the PTO the following afternoon, but there wasn't time.

So....

When on the belt, was I supposed to run the tractor wide open on the throttle or have it read 540 on the tach? I did the latter & ran 540. There was no info given from the operator of the dyno.

I can say the tractor didn't sound bad or off, though the bark of the exhaust did sound a bit muddy. The exhaust really didn't begin to show dark until the screws were put to it. Might the pump be lean or the timing off? Still thinking it may be the head gasket. It's the only thing changed that affected the performance of the tractor as long as I've had it.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

560D never lack power ! Ever ! Your imagination!

In it's defense.... it was a strong 50 HP!

Mike

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

53 to 59 on the  nebraska test... for a 70 year old a loss of 3-9 horse isnt bad.

 

Didn't think to check the rating, glad you said something. Guess it isn't too bad then.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Horsepower is a combination of speed and torque. By throttling down. You automatically derated it.

That's good to know for next time.

It didn't seem like it was too low on HP driving on the hills in that area. It pulled them without much loss in speed, if any.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, McCormick 40 said:

Normally you would run the tractor wide open also known as high idle and then the dyno operator would tighten down the dyno until the tractor pulled down to rated rpm to get an acurite reading.

I will have to do that next time. The tractor did sound like it could use a few more nuts.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean was the dyno certified accurate? Could just be the dyno was off too. That said ya i mean 50hp aint bad. Some early 282 heads were pretty restrictive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may want to look at the air cleaner.

Those are getting old enough where I have seen them plugged and also rusted out holes in the long pipe from the air cleaner to intake.

When was the last time you changed the oil in the air cleaner?

If you have holes, or bad hoses, you will probably find dust in the intake and that is not good. 

These can rob you of a few horses?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

You may want to look at the air cleaner.

Those are getting old enough where I have seen them plugged and also rusted out holes in the long pipe from the air cleaner to intake.

When was the last time you changed the oil in the air cleaner?

If you have holes, or bad hoses, you will probably find dust in the intake and that is not good. 

These can rob you of a few horses?

Really good suggestion ,have to check it out 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless things are REALLY bad, it's hard to tell just puttering around with the tractor. Doesn't take much power to do that. Chopping hay/corn or pulling a plow is about the only thing that's really putting anywhere near a full load on the tractor with "period correct" equipment.

If it's doing the job you need it to do, isn't exhibiting any "bad health" problems like excessive oil usage, excessive smoke, rough running, etc. run it and don't worry about being down a few HP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, 660 driver said:

I mean was the dyno certified accurate? Could just be the dyno was off too. That said ya i mean 50hp aint bad. Some early 282 heads were pretty restrictive.

The accuracy of the dyno is unknown. So far, it sounds like I didn't have the throttle up all the way & that's why the reading was a bit low.

Now, to hunt down another open dyno.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2023 at 7:15 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

You may want to look at the air cleaner.

Those are getting old enough where I have seen them plugged and also rusted out holes in the long pipe from the air cleaner to intake.

When was the last time you changed the oil in the air cleaner?

If you have holes, or bad hoses, you will probably find dust in the intake and that is not good. 

These can rob you of a few horses?

The air cleaner on this one is nice & clean yet. Oil in the cup was changed out about three years ago & it's seen maybe 100 hours of use since.

I'll have to look & see if the wire mesh in the body of the air cleaner is cruddy or not, when it get's winterized in a few weeks. 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2023 at 7:38 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

Unless things are REALLY bad, it's hard to tell just puttering around with the tractor. Doesn't take much power to do that. Chopping hay/corn or pulling a plow is about the only thing that's really putting anywhere near a full load on the tractor with "period correct" equipment.

If it's doing the job you need it to do, isn't exhibiting any "bad health" problems like excessive oil usage, excessive smoke, rough running, etc. run it and don't worry about being down a few HP. 

It drinks oil, but not antifreeze. Went through a little over a quart over the course of the tractor show. That includes driving it 48 miles round trip, farting around the show grounds a couple times, pulling on the dyno & that was it. Went through just under 5 gallons of fuel, which was a pleasant surprise. I would guess the oil consumption was from loafing along all weekend. The 560 doesn't use oil like that when haying. It does use some, though.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2023 at 3:48 PM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

The air cleaner on this one is nice & clean yet. Oil in the cup was changed out about three years ago & it's seen maybe 100 hours of use since.

I'll have to look & see if the wire mesh in the body of the air cleaner is cruddy or not, when it get's winterized in a few weeks. 

Mike

I service oil-bath breathers A LOT more often than that! And still not as often as one probably should. Ones on my WD 45's say, "service daily", more often in dusty conditions or something like that. One on the CA I mow with I probably service every 10-15 hours, with no meter it's kind of hard to tell. All I know is, every-time I change oil in one I think, yep, it was time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I service oil-bath breathers A LOT more often than that! And still not as often as one probably should. Ones on my WD 45's say, "service daily", more often in dusty conditions or something like that. One on the CA I mow with I probably service every 10-15 hours, with no meter it's kind of hard to tell. All I know is, every-time I change oil in one I think, yep, it was time.

Yep,I would take the entire assembly out of my 560 and wash it with gasoline once a year too

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2023 at 7:15 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

You may want to look at the air cleaner.

Those are getting old enough where I have seen them plugged and also rusted out holes in the long pipe from the air cleaner to intake.

When was the last time you changed the oil in the air cleaner?

If you have holes, or bad hoses, you will probably find dust in the intake and that is not good. 

These can rob you of a few horses?

Which is the add smoke screw? Is that the angled one that kind of points back to the fuel return line? Not looking to do anything excessive. Just twist her tail a little more.

Also curious if someone still makes the little clear plastic window to put over the timing mark hole?

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jacka said:

Yep,I would take the entire assembly out of my 560 and wash it with gasoline once a year too

Took one of my breathers apart, got the mesh out, soaked it in gas, then lit on fire. That cleans things up rather nicely. have seen that method talked about on the Orange board many times but don't remember seeing it here before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a recap inquiry, what have we determined so far ? 
as Joe Friday said,  just the facts . Any real data? 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Just a recap inquiry, what have we determined so far ? 
as Joe Friday said,  just the facts . Any real data? 

No real data until I get to a dyno again. Going to try running it wide open next time, see if that makes a difference.

The air cleaner will be gone through at some point in the next few days. Still have to get caught up after a couple days rain & a slight foot injury that has kept me off of uneven surfaces for a week. So.... the lawn comes first, before I can't find the house. Then the 560. Then corn related shenanigans.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Took one of my breathers apart, got the mesh out, soaked it in gas, then lit on fire. That cleans things up rather nicely. have seen that method talked about on the Orange board many times but don't remember seeing it here before.

Ain’t going to do that gas cleaning. Don’t want to blow my eyeglasses off my head cost me to much . Pressure washer with purple power , or purple power, In old roaster pan on turkeys  fryer and boil mesh it clean .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Ain’t going to do that gas cleaning. Don’t want to blow my eyeglasses off my head cost me to much . Pressure washer with purple power , or purple power, In old roaster pan on turkeys  fryer and boil mesh it clean .  

Dennis, it's not a big deal. Soak it in gas, let it drain a bit, light with a grill lighter, no problem!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...