Neat Gehl hay head in action....

Absent Minded Farmer

This sure is an interesting contraption & I'm glad to finally have it running. Didn't really take much. Just some grease & oil. Then had to figure out how to cobble together the pieces that drive the head from the feeder chain. And those are gen-U-ine farmer made parts! None of that factory made nonsense here!!

There's a test run planned out in a few days, so we'll see how those parts hold up.

Enjoy!

Mike

P.S. I was sure to include the 560 in the footage to maintain the right shade of red. 😄 Although the Gehl red at that time didn't look much different than IH red. Maybe just a shade brighter on some machines. That would change in '67 when Gehl changed up their paint to something a little more orange.

• Like 4

Just now, Dzldenny said:

These were quite common around here when I was a bit younger. Yours looks to be in really nice condition. Good to see you got it going.

There were several around here, but they were retired to the fence row by the time I saw them. Was happy to find this one.

Are there any of these old Gehl choppers still running in your corner of the state?

Mike

I believe The Heritage center in Kewaunee has one. Not sure if they run it for demonstration. I'll check next time I'm through there. I can't say I've seen one in the field recently but there are a lot of little hobby farms sprinkled around that use this type of stuff. I have my 612 Ford for instance. Let's face it, your not going to buy a 600hp self propelled chopper for 20 or even 80 acres. If I see one in use, I'll grab a pic or vid for you. My FIL parents had one I could have had for removing it but sadly I passed.

Looks like it could have some feeding issues? Probably lots were scrapped in frustration? Neat survivor 

• Like 1

Gehl was big here in South Dakota but they mostly only cut corn here.

Very little haylage was ever cut.

If it was, it all went into a Harvestore.

Great to see that head was saved.

It looks like it is in great condition.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

This sure is an interesting contraption & I'm glad to finally have it running. Didn't really take much. Just some grease & oil. Then had to figure out how to cobble together the pieces that drive the head from the feeder chain. And those are gen-U-ine farmer made parts! None of that factory made nonsense here!!

There's a test run planned out in a few days, so we'll see how those parts hold up.

Enjoy!

Mike

P.S. I was sure to include the 560 in the footage to maintain the right shade of red. 😄 Although the Gehl red at that time didn't look much different than IH red. Maybe just a shade brighter on some machines. That would change in '67 when Gehl changed up their paint to something a little more orange.

Now that I think about it the neighbor to the south had one like the nearest one in your picture.  They bought an AC 782 to take its place during the late 1960's

Ahhhhh, the memories. Dad had one just like that. Hay head and also a corn head. It actually worked good for hay.  I didn't like the corn silage it produced because the knife design didn't chop the ears, it made "ear slices". I had to clean the feed bunks every couple days to scoop the cobs out. The cattle would eat the corn, and spit out the cob.

It ended up in the barn, dad pulled all the knives but one (Gehl made a counter weight to offset a knives that were removed to keep the cutter in balance) we made a hopper for it, and I would throw in a dozen or so square bales to chop along with the silage.

Youtube has some Gehl videos of this chopper with both hay and corn heads.

My Dad and Grandpa had a Gehl chopper, don’t know the model.  Don’t remember the hay head ever being used. Grandpa and his two brothers owned it together.  It chopped all the corn silage for all three operations. Grandpa always ran it. First I remember with the 1466 and later with the 5288. I think Dad might still have it in the shed.