Cemetery

766 Man

A neighbor had a dozer in to clean up a small area near his farm yard.  There is a very old cemetery right next to where to where the dozer was working.  Before he finished I noticed the dozer knocked over a few headstones.  I wonder how much bad luck the operator is in for?  

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There are a lot of old cemeteries around here currently being farmed over. 

None being farmed over to my knowledge around here.  This cemetery has to be close to a couple centuries old but in all my years I never poked around in there.  I saw an old pre Civil War land record for my neighborhood and some of the names that are in the cemetery (can be seen from the road) are the same as the recorded owners for the farm that my family has at present.  This cemetery is maintained by the town and is mowed very frequently including this past Thursday.  There are a number of "retired" cemeteries around that are maintained.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 766 Man said:

None being farmed over to my knowledge around here.  This cemetery has to be close to a couple centuries old but in all my years I never poked around in there.  I saw an old pre Civil War land record for my neighborhood and some of the names that are in the cemetery (can be seen from the road) are the same as the recorded owners for the farm that my family has at present.  This cemetery is maintained by the town and is mowed very frequently including this past Thursday.  There are a number of "retired" cemeteries around that are maintained.  

Lots and lots of old family cemeteries that have been abandoned for a 100 years that are known by very few other than a landowner or farmer tenant. The farms were sold and the plots forgotten by relatives. It’s really a sad situation. I know of many that haven’t been maintained in 50+ years. 

• Sad 1

Lots of family plots all over New England. Some get maintained, others overgrown. I can think of a half dozen within a 5 mile radius. They were mostly on the farms around me that were abandoned when the Midwest opened up and subsequently subdivided.

The right thing to do would be to reset the markers that got displaced.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 766 Man said:

A neighbor had a dozer in to clean up a small area near his farm yard.  There is a very old cemetery right next to where to where the dozer was working.  Before he finished I noticed the dozer knocked over a few headstones.  I wonder how much bad luck the operator is in for?  

The neighbor was dividing building lots off their farm to settle their parents estate.

One access road was to go near an old Quaker church ruins. As the access road was going to have a sharp bend in it, the contractor discussed straightening it and go through the ruins of the church, and they agreed to allow him to.

He explained that the instant he was in the rubble the hair on the back of his neck stood up and he felt a strong presence.

The idea of going through the ruins was quickly dismissed 😂

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

We were burying another relative in the cemetery of our very small town when a cousin observer that 

"This is the only growth area in town"

As for most of rural Australia

My ex wives grandmother would say.

If a town has more people in the graveyard than on the population sign it's time to move to a new place!

She was a hoot but hot headed. Irish/American Indian.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Sounds like said dozer operator needs some more seat time along with a lesson in respect. Even if the customer told me to i wouldnt knock over headstones.

• Like 9

Agreed!!!   I have had to repair some of the older ones at our old church cemetery.  The grout dries out over time and water freezes and thaws in the base causing the stone to fall over.  i have had good luck with masonry adhesive to hold them back up and seal the joint against water.

It is like pulling teeth to get people to help maintain the cemetery.  My family and 2 other church members do the lions share of the mowing and maintenance work.....nobody "has time" for those kind of jobs anymore, but you have to make time.....seems disrespectful to not keep a cemetery in at least basic repair.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Agreed!!!   I have had to repair some of the older ones at our old church cemetery.  The grout dries out over time and water freezes and thaws in the base causing the stone to fall over.  i have had good luck with masonry adhesive to hold them back up and seal the joint against water.

It is like pulling teeth to get people to help maintain the cemetery.  My family and 2 other church members do the lions share of the mowing and maintenance work.....nobody "has time" for those kind of jobs anymore, but you have to make time.....seems disrespectful to not keep a cemetery in at least basic repair.

The neighbor that my dad grew up with is 86. Still taking care of the local small cemetery. They have a small board of trustees that handle any donations and hire someone to mow it. Last burial was my great aunt about a month ago. I mowed it when I was in high school and a couple years after school. My brother in law is mowing it now. Several occupants left some nice donations to help keep it going. They have several work days in the spring and in the fall for any cleanup and filling any settling of the graves.

• Like 2

There is a district cemetery that was given in the 1880's by a previous owner of property I now own. When my Great Grandfather got here in 1898 a church in the cemetery had been abandoned and they stored sacked grain in it. As the rural population had many ups and downs over the last 120 years so has the use of the cemetery. The Church was moved 15 miles to what became the main town in the region.

At some time the county took over/was given control, and it became a district cemetery. The controlling board over the years has been real penny pinchers and it has a very unkept look. But that is what they want for the most part. About an acre of the 10 has graves in close neat rows. Lots of natural underbrush on 5 acres. For the last 20 years different neighbors have taken a tractor and rotary cutter to the leveler 3 or 4 open acres. The last 5 I have been asked, ever though my family has all been buried 8 miles away in what had been another rural church that had a cemetery. Until the state enacted a law about funding cemeteries in perpetuity there had never been any charges. Now it is $100 and a few cents the county sends from property taxes of all land in the district. Still more or less rural, and all that have lived in the district can be buried there. So in light off all that I donate 2 to 4 hours mowing. But a very tense time looking for the stray markers that are off in 3 or 4 foot weeds. Some of which are the level with the ground ones that do get driven and mowed over. To several that are just a steel fence post driven in the ground. Then the weekend before Memorial Day weekend they have a community clean up with weed eaters and a riding mower or 2. With the climate of no summer rain, it all stays short until the next spring.

Even thought if look up Weird California the Adelaida Cemetery will show up with all kinds of ghost stories, no ghost has come after me yet anyway.  The stories of those who are reported as the ghosts don't match the real facts. But if you believe in ghosts don't let facts get in the way of a good story. From the 50's thru the 80's it was a place teens where know go to drink beer. In the 80's I lived closer than I do now. But my house was hidden by trees and a creek. Gun shots where getting to be a problem. Then a very gung-ho Fish and Game Warden was my closest neighbor. He worked on the problem and for the last 25 years it has not been a go to, except the for ghost hunters. And they have not been shooting at ghosts. 

Many states have laws that protect cemeteries. Check your laws.

You don't need the town women after you for not showing the proper respect.

• Like 2

I got what I call a half abandoned cemetery next door to me. Maybe a quarter acre. The newest headstone I can find is 1940. Oldest 1840 but many more broken and local historians say it opened in 1812 I believe. Only maintenance it sees is town comes in and mows it just before Memorial Day. For a number of years I would mow it three or four times a year. Last few years there is a county highway employee that does it on some community service project. 
It actually was officially closed a couple of years ago because they can’t find records for it. They don’t know who’s buried where. I mentioned something to one town official that there was some wording in my deed to property next door that leads me to believe the school district had control of it at one point and they may have had the records but town just wants it closed. One of these days I need to get my act together and donate a little strip of land alongside it so I could be buried there. The town doesn’t seem to be opposed to that they just don’t want the hassle of the old part. 
Like I said the town mows it before Memorial Day and there is one gentleman that plants flowers every year on a soldiers grave from the war of 1812. Saw him do it twice in the 20+ years I’ve lived next door. Stopped to talk to him once. It was his ancestor. He did about 40-50 graves every year of his ancestors that have served in military. Other than him and those of us that mow it I don’t think there are more than one visitor every few years. 

Now on another note, there is an unmarked grave on my fathers property that I think I’m the only person alive that is aware of. I somewhat keep my mouth shut about it because my dad and brother have talked about farming over it. The gentleman that had my house before me sold most of the farmland to my father in the late 80s. There was a mostly dead tree in one corner of a field that he said was planted as a memorial to two sisters that had died. The story vaguely stuck with me until many years later, after the tree was completely gone, I was reading some local history and the first deaths in our town in 1811. Two sisters died a day apart and were buried on a farm that that field was a part of. 

I have an old cemetery on my property that was settled on in 1828 by my direct family ancestors. First one buried there in 1839; last one in 1894.  4th, 3rd and 2nd great grandparents. The 3 generations after that (great, grand and my parents) are buried in the "newer" municipal cemetery started about 1871. The older one on my property- I take care of it and look after it with all due respect. 

Knocking over old tombstones or bulldozing old graveyards- very disrespectful. Sorta like how we treat some veterans, today.

• Like 5

A friend use to work at the local cemetery maintaining the head stones

he would use 22A limestone to make a base for the head stones

teased him one time,, he was packing the 22A with a hand tamper

''Scott why are you hitting the ground like that.

He replied got one trying to get away'':D

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, td9bcf180 said:

I have an old cemetery on my property that was settled on in 1828 by my direct family ancestors. First one buried there in 1839; last one in 1894.  4th, 3rd and 2nd great grandparents. The 3 generations after that (great, grand and my parents) are buried in the "newer" municipal cemetery started about 1871. The older one on my property- I take care of it and look after it with all due respect. 

Knocking over old tombstones or bulldozing old graveyards- very disrespectful. Sorta like how we treat some veterans, today.

Sometime I m going to walk the cemetery I am referring to.  My guess is the last burial there was around 1875-1880.  

• Like 2

There are no headstones with names/dates in my old cemetery. Just plain, flat stones- a larger one at the head of the grave and a small one at the foot. 9 visible graves and probably more who we don't have names for.

• Sad 1