Harvest time pics

billonthefarm

24 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

They would reject that here. Nothing over 17% and you wouldn’t like the dock for 17% corn. The elevator in Kansas City we deliver most of our corn to does not have a dryer. 

They would be out of business here lol boggles the mind!

18 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

They would be out of business here lol boggles the mind!

There is a lot of corn here that doesn’t come out of the field until it’s 15%. “Here” if you want to start early, you build your own grain handling facility. That’s the only choice. 0 bushels are dried at the elevators. If they get much corn that is actually 17%, the moisture limit will go down. I have seen lots of times that you will not even be able to unload if it’s over 15.5%. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There is a lot of corn here that doesn’t come out of the field until it’s 15%. “Here” if you want to start early, you build your own grain handling facility. That’s the only choice. 0 bushels are dried at the elevators. If they get much corn that is actually 17%, the moisture limit will go down. I have seen lots of times that you will not even be able to unload if it’s over 15.5%. 

Guys around here would have less time to spend in Florida if that was the case lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, F-301066460puller said:

Guys around here would have less time to spend in Florida if that was the case lol

I don’t think moisture limits have slowed down the local BTO’s. They just had to spend millions of dollars to dry it themselves. Many multimillion dollar private grain facilities here. Most are much bigger than the local elevator, that no longer exists, ever was. They all have plenty of time for vacation here. 

2 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

Only 53 miles away for me, still can't go. Lol my question is how in the world is that an Elmwood address? 🤔

My family has lived here since the 1880’s.  The address has always been Elmwood and no one has ever given me a good explanation!  

17 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There are years we never harvest corn below 20%.  On occasion we will pick corn near or at 30%.  Rare any more but it happens.   We dry a lot of corn on the farm and the elevators all have drying capacity and early in the season they dry a lot of corn.  Generally the corn will get down to 16-17 and they just put it in the bins.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

There are years we never harvest corn below 20%.  On occasion we will pick corn near or at 30%.  Rare any more but it happens.   We dry a lot of corn on the farm and the elevators all have drying capacity and early in the season they dry a lot of corn.  Generally the corn will get down to 16-17 and they just put it in the bins.  

That would mold in the bin here. 

18 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Never seen a mother bin in use around here.  But I assume they are just parked at the end of the field so that the combines/cart never have to wait for a semi?

They're parked like that so that the semi pulls in between the MotherBins and gets loaded up by both bins. An empty semi doesn’t spend any time in the field this way...he's loaded and ready to leave in a few minutes.

They have a 4th combine and second grain cart....they were in another part of the field. This corn was making roughly 175 bpa. With corn that wet, I'm not sure the grain carts help a lot....it unloads pretty slow out of the combine hoppers.

This guy runs a private hunting lodge, so he's combining in strips for his paying hunters that will show up the next few weeks. Depending on which day the feedlot is taking corn or silage, he combines corn one day, then maybe soybeans the next.

As far as corn and moisture, we are like lorenzo and Dirt_Floor_Poor in that corn delivered to the elevator over 18% will generally get you docked greatly. Now, one thing that has changed all that is an ethanol plant 60 miles NW of me would take wet corn right out of the field for the last several years, so that's where guys would take a lot of wet corn. Unfortunately, that plant had an explosion this summer, so it is shut down right now. They were hoping to get it repaired in time for corn harvest, but don't sound like that will happen.

20230921_091515.jpg

20230921_091541.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

DC1A1F46-5FB0-45EA-B5BB-56F52F1B7620.thumb.jpeg.d534cee23548a26052e2e2cc4f3097e1.jpeg

That looks so 80's with cab over. Of course all 24 to 28 foot double hoppers here at that time. But 9 out 10 tractors pulling them were cab overs.  Thanks for the picture.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 7:33 AM, SDman said:

They're parked like that so that the semi pulls in between the MotherBins and gets loaded up by both bins. An empty semi doesn’t spend any time in the field this way...he's loaded and ready to leave in a few minutes.

They have a 4th combine and second grain cart....they were in another part of the field. This corn was making roughly 175 bpa. With corn that wet, I'm not sure the grain carts help a lot....it unloads pretty slow out of the combine hoppers.

This guy runs a private hunting lodge, so he's combining in strips for his paying hunters that will show up the next few weeks. Depending on which day the feedlot is taking corn or silage, he combines corn one day, then maybe soybeans the next.

As far as corn and moisture, we are like lorenzo and Dirt_Floor_Poor in that corn delivered to the elevator over 18% will generally get you docked greatly. Now, one thing that has changed all that is an ethanol plant 60 miles NW of me would take wet corn right out of the field for the last several years, so that's where guys would take a lot of wet corn. Unfortunately, that plant had an explosion this summer, so it is shut down right now. They were hoping to get it repaired in time for corn harvest, but don't sound like that will happen.

20230921_091515.jpg

20230921_091541.jpg

Are those 45’ drapers or only 40’?

On 9/22/2023 at 11:04 PM, billonthefarm said:

It’s that time of the year again.  My harvest day is coming up and you are all invited.  I also got underway with harvest Thursday.  I do enjoy fall.  Nice weather.  I enjoy the hectic and sometimes chaos of harvest.  It’s just fun to be busy and accomplish so much!

53A336B5-5C03-4DCC-8C3F-CF6B6CA50D08.jpeg

E0BB8891-D937-42CF-891D-59A237B40130.jpeg

40C60436-8C73-4323-8AF9-163E5C1F1CAB.jpeg

4CAA5F39-22E3-456C-BAD1-FA74BBE3050B.jpeg

9534E021-7E29-44B7-B16E-43AD4202B2DC.jpeg

A32DA7CD-190B-4292-B971-D7CC9EE879F8.jpeg

Watching the video right now on my tv! Back Road Pullers inc. On YouTube CC&E farms 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’m guessing those hopper bottom bins must be popular in the northern plains, or southern plains depending on which side of the border we’re talking about? Nobody has them around here. 

Used to be that's all that would get built for bins for alot of years. But now they're becoming less popular here in favor of of big flat bottom bins by all the big farms. But yes hopper bins are still seen everywhere around here. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’m guessing those hopper bottom bins must be popular in the northern plains, or southern plains depending on which side of the border we’re talking about? Nobody has them around here. 

Yes they were quite popular here. The last few years, large flat bottom bins with center unloads and sweeps are becoming more popular (20-40000 bus)

• Thanks 1