Farmall 450 Diesel Stater not wanting to engage all the way

Andrew Stalzer

I had a Farmall 450 Diesel and the starter wants to grind before it get fully engaged.  I took starter off tractor on the bench and put 12 volts to the small post on the big silonoid and the silonoid wont pull the starter drive in unless i help it with my hand.  I installed a new silonoid and no change.  the starter gears have some wear on them and so does the ring gear.  The question is should that silonoid beable to pull the starter gear out sitting on the bench or does the starter have to engage to let the starter gear be pulled out with the silonoid.  I can move that starter gear by hand on the bench its not stuck its like the spring has to much tention or the silonoid to work properly. Any help would be great.

Thanks Andy

3 hours ago, Andrew Stalzer said:

Cant seem to find any parts for this starter  The Delco Number is 113034 and the number stamped in the housing is 1933834. 

Used on tractors 13491 and higher. If housing is grounded and power put to were battery cable goes and then power to small solenoid terminal that energizes solenoid gear should jump to end of starter. Wouldn't happen to have small wires in wrong place? solenoid should have small I terminal for jumping past resister and a S terminal for power from starter button if I remember correct. could be changed by now.  

When the plunger in the solenoid goes into the solenoid -- it pulls the gear out and closes the switch to power the starter

if the plunger goes in , but the starter does not spin -- the switch is bad or the starter motor

if the plunger goes in and the gear does not move fully out -- check the lever for wear or the bendix for binding

47 minutes ago, Andrew Stalzer said:

I believe the little wire is on the I terminal.  I have a good battery and good cables.  I cleaned all the grounds up.  Should that solenoid pull the starter drive out without starter spinning like sitting on the bench.

The answer is no. Pull in winding is grounded through armature. Hold in winding is grounded through case. Starter not spinning could indicate pull in winding circuit is not complete. Which means only hold in winding is pulling . If there is a good snap from the solenoid and the starter doesn't turn. That indicates bad contacts.

From what I am reading here. I suspect a poor starter as the problem. What I am not sure of is if your starter has a solenoid that actually pulls the bendix or is enertially actuated.

I am not familiar with that exact starter motor, but many pull in style solenoids and linkage units have provisions to adjust how far the bendix goes towards the nose cone. Either in the link, or sometimes the fulcrum bolt is eccentric to adjust this. 

6 hours ago, DWV said:

Used on tractors 13491 and higher. If housing is grounded and power put to were battery cable goes and then power to small solenoid terminal that energizes solenoid gear should jump to end of starter. Wouldn't happen to have small wires in wrong place? solenoid should have small I terminal for jumping past resister and a S terminal for power from starter button if I remember correct. could be changed by now.  

Misread starter number, you have the first number used on a 450. Solenoid should pull lever toward rear of starter and push starter gear forward. gear should spin free on shaft as it goes toward flywheel. Only one small terminal was used from push button to solenoid unless replaced. If you can push lever to rear and gear comes out smooth far enough it should do the same with power to it. But lever with fork or other parts damaged inside could be a problem.