F20 engine parts

Only RED in the shed

On 9/20/2023 at 7:46 AM, Binderoid said:

Regarding the 10 year rule. I look in catalogs like Mac’s and Snyder’s and every now and then you’ll see a reproduction part labeled, “officially licensed by Ford Motor Company “. What possible interest can Ford have in a shim pack for a Model A connecting rod? If they can get a royalty from 1/8 ounce of shims, why not “officially license “the  whole pickup?

Maybe the part was built using the original Ford drawings/specs? 

On 9/20/2023 at 7:46 AM, Binderoid said:

Regarding the 10 year rule. I look in catalogs like Mac’s and Snyder’s and every now and then you’ll see a reproduction part labeled, “officially licensed by Ford Motor Company “. What possible interest can Ford have in a shim pack for a Model A connecting rod? If they can get a royalty from 1/8 ounce of shims, why not “officially license “the  whole pickup?

It's no different than what precision tractor parts does with IH parts as they say officially licensed by CNH. To me the thought is the parts supplier does this to say we have a better quality part and we can charge more for it. I will say with Deere you can't even make decals for their 90 year old tractors without it being licensed unless you want to have a nice cease and desist letter sent to you. 

On 9/17/2023 at 10:05 AM, Only RED in the shed said:

I had thought about putting belt on pulley and spinning it over with another tractor,maybe? Tires are not going to hold air to try pulling it.i have 5 running ones with belt pulleys and a short belt.anyone ever done that?

I'm sure someone has and I see no problems with it.

Make sure you are turning the engine the right direction.

You can put a twist in the belt, if needed, to get it to turn the right way.

Make sure it has good oil in the crankcase and spin it awhile.

Could start with some oil in the cylinders and no plugs.

Let it set and turn for a few minutes. 

Then screw the plugs in it and shoot a bit of gas into the carburetor and see what happens.

If it has spark, gas and compression, it will want to start.

Don't spin it to fast with the other tractor or you won't hear it want to start.

I'd guess the carburetor on the Ol Girl needs some attention too.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:05 AM, Only RED in the shed said:

I had thought about putting belt on pulley and spinning it over with another tractor,maybe? Tires are not going to hold air to try pulling it.i have 5 running ones with belt pulleys and a short belt.anyone ever done that?

Double Hit?

Carb is rebuilt and good.i did blow cylinders out like was suggested and did get lot of crud out.got the magneto to spark after filling points.i have diesel,tranys fluid mix in cylinders hoping rings  free upto get compression up.I think the belt start might be not best way to go so I will hand crank and see how it goes.

I got head gaskets from Rice for my Regular. I think the F20 uses the same. Rice has a lot for the old, old Farmalls.

If there was rust on the sides of the cylinders, I would clean that off before trying to turn it over, and possibly score the sleeves.

• Like 1

Its been said but your rings will likely loosen up and come back. Make sure valves are free,carb/tank is clean,pushrods are straight,and spark is good. It should run easy. Not a bad idea to clean cylinders out if chunks are big. Even with rough sleeves it will run. Those things will run after a nuclear armageddon.