F20 engine parts

Only RED in the shed

I have been working on getting a old regular that was in inlaws family since new but has been left sitting since the  early 60s.got the magneto to spark finally but very little compression so engine needs  to come apart.where do any of you guys find parts?Probably rings,hope cylinders ok??full gasket set since I'm pulling it out and doing complete teardown  to get all oil leaks. the engine is a F20 transplant sometime in the past.they were just going to scrap it but I stopped that.they have shed full of green 2 cylinders and didn't want it.

• Like 1

I looked in plug holes with bore camera and seen lots of big rust chunks on pistons from sitting so long. No big scratches that I can see just didn't want to damage valves with them going through  if I did fire up.i did try soaking cylinders to try and free rings up but not really getting anywhere.im sure parts for something that old are hard to find.its gots leaks at every place there is a gasket and I want to paint it when I do get it going so I wanted to dry up all leaks

I agree with MMI, as long as the engine spins I see no reason to disassemble right now.

Take out the spark plugs, tow the tractor around in gear, and let the engine pump out the accumulated crud.

Then perhaps you could try starting it, also being towed around to get enough compression to fire.

This is what I have done in times past, has worked for me.

Your luck may be different, but it won't hurt to try.

Any contacts will be appreciated,I have checked Worthington,and Allstate AG but they just have minimal gaskets listed.just in case I need deeper parts.hope not but you never know till it's running or apart.dont need to have it back to factory specs just running good and not leaking too bad

Worth a try,maybe tires will hold long enough for that.it has WW2 surplus jeep tires on front that are still up after all these years but back ones are toast.if I can find steel for rear I have single steel wheel for front that came off it and I will not have to mess with flats no more.better get it going first before I mess with that

Our Case IH area rep said when Case took ahold of the IH reigns the did a major parts depot purge. They scrapped tons of older IH parts. Idiots

• Sad 1

Call Dwayne Hansford at Rustic Red Acres. He will probably have everything you need. Great guy. Very knowledgeable 1 (317) 512-0493. He’s in central IN and ships anywhere. 

I would also say pull the head and clean it out. If you belt up, you will need a twist in your belt to be running the correct direction. I would pull the head off and clean. Add some diesel, set the head back on loose and roll it over slowly with a belt. 

Use compressed air with a long narrow blower tip down the spark plug holes. You may be surprised at what will blow out while it is still dry.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 3:20 PM, cedar farm said:

Our Case IH area rep said when Case took ahold of the IH reigns the did a major parts depot purge. They scrapped tons of older IH parts. Idiots

There may be some truth to this. I purchased several hundred worth of oddball sheet metal pieces ( 3 pieces!) for a No. 8 chopper I am restoring at the time of the merger …. 1 year later, can’t buy so much as a cotter pin for it. 
   On the flip side of this coin, we have to remember that Case IH is in the farm equipment business, not the historical restoration business . I don’t know if inventory is a drain on funds or not, which may have had a bearing on this decision. 

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

On the flip side of this coin, we have to remember that Case IH is in the farm equipment business, not the historical restoration business . I don’t know if inventory is a drain on funds or not, which may have had a bearing on this decision.

Inventory is most certainly a drain on funds. Most obviously, in warehouse space. If you don't clear out some of the old inventory that isn't moving, you need to keep making your warehouses and stockrooms bigger and bigger. 

I'm not an accountant but I'm sure there are financial issues with carrying excess inventory, and advantages to "writing off" old inventory.

Nobody had the foresight to think that the future would turn out as it has. Everyone just thinks that the way things are "now" is how they're going to be forever. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Inventory is most certainly a drain on funds. Most obviously, in warehouse space. If you don't clear out some of the old inventory that isn't moving, you need to keep making your warehouses and stockrooms bigger and bigger. 

I'm not an accountant but I'm sure there are financial issues with carrying excess inventory, and advantages to "writing off" old inventory.

Nobody had the foresight to think that the future would turn out as it has. Everyone just thinks that the way things are "now" is how they're going to be forever. 

Matt, I think it was you who said how many GM Ford and Chrysler dealers stock parts from the 1930's 40's etc. The point being there has to be a bottom line decision somewhere. I called my CIH dealer yesterday looking for rear rim to center bolts on a Farmall 300 we're restoring. Parts guy at Jacobi sales who I like, told me to call Bates. I seem to remember getting bolts for an H we did with no problem a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, IHRedDrive said:

Matt, I think it was you who said how many GM Ford and Chrysler dealers stock parts from the 1930's 40's etc. The point being there has to be a bottom line decision somewhere. I called my CIH dealer yesterday looking for rear rim to center bolts on a Farmall 300 we're restoring. Parts guy at Jacobi sales who I like, told me to call Bates. I seem to remember getting bolts for an H we did with no problem a few years ago. 

Wasn't me. Do they? My understanding is that dealerships don't stock parts for anything older than 10 years unless it carries over to a more current model. Far as I know it's all they're legally required to do. Never had the need to go to a Chevy dealer and ask for something that old, but for sure you'd be able to knock me over with a feather if I went in there for something that old and they came up with it on the spot. 

It's the tractor dealers that amaze me with how far back they stock parts, BUT they're parts that MOVE. 

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Wasn't me. Do they? My understanding is that dealerships don't stock parts for anything older than 10 years unless it carries over to a more current model. Far as I know it's all they're legally required to do. Never had the need to go to a Chevy dealer and ask for something that old, but for sure you'd be able to knock me over with a feather if I went in there for something that old and they came up with it on the spot. 

It's the tractor dealers that amaze me with how far back they stock parts, BUT they're parts that MOVE. 

Car dealers, no. And the 10 year rule makes sense. When parts are available from CIH, have to assume they are locating some (most?) from a variety of after market sources or as I found this week, sending me to Bates. 

Regarding the 10 year rule. I look in catalogs like Mac’s and Snyder’s and every now and then you’ll see a reproduction part labeled, “officially licensed by Ford Motor Company “. What possible interest can Ford have in a shim pack for a Model A connecting rod? If they can get a royalty from 1/8 ounce of shims, why not “officially license “the  whole pickup?