GM Strike

766 Man

17 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t know of a single business that couldn’t exist without the union, but every single union cannot exist without an employer. 

Plenty of business survive and thrive with out Unions only 7% of private sector employees are in a Union 

• Like 3

My whole deal with this topic is the way people in unions are portrayed.There are lazy people in and out of unions. There are good and bad in and out of unions.Unions saved many lives and jobs if a employer was working their people in unsafe conditions because it was more profitable than to fix it.If someone complained in non union they were just fired. The mining company couldn't fire you just because you didn't want to be maimed or killed. I worked for two quarrying companies, first one for 6 years union,they had sirens in belts,crushers for 30 seconds before starting, 2nd one non union slave outfit for a year didn't.Young guy was repairing conveyor other guy started it,tore his arm off at the shoulder.I think the idea here is you hate people because they are just in a union or were it's like to hate people because of their race ,religion or nationality. Pretty close minded to me.Bottom line is if companies paid well with good benefits they wouldn't need unions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would sure hate to see wal mart go Union… that could put the hurt on a lot of low income families. One can choose not to buy a Union built vehicle, but jacking up the food prices is just plain cruel; then all the non-Union grocery stores will hike their prices to just below the Union store and still be able keep their customers, because there is nowhere else to go.

Walmart has their own tactics for dealing with unions. 
There was a meat cutters union voted in to a store in Texas.  That didn’t last long.

“In February 2000, butchers at a Walmart Supercenter in Jacksonville, Texas, voted seven to three in favor of being represented by the UFCW. Soon, the company announced that it would stop cutting meat and instead sell prepackaged beef and pork at all of its stores.”

9 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Plenty of business survive and thrive with out Unions only 7% of private sector employees are in a Union 

So explain to me Mr Lazy WP how unions are the root of all inflation and high prices when only 7% of businesses are Union?? You must have the first penny you ever made buried in a coffee can in your back yard. Probably don’t use banks either??

52 minutes ago, smfarms said:
10 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

So explain to me Mr Lazy WP how unions are the root of all inflation and high prices when only 7% of businesses are Union?? You must have the first penny you ever made buried in a coffee can in your back yard. Probably don’t use banks either??

Smfarms I am not Mr Lazy WP my handle is Jeeper61 , you might want to get your eyes checked 

No harm done I take that as a complement as I drove a truck for a few years  and have a lot of respect for those who drive a big rig for a living 

Labor costs certainly have an impact on prices

As I pointed out futher back in this thread having a higher labor rate as the US auto makers do put them at a disandvantage to the forgein makes who have a $10 per hour lower labor rate at their US factories 

4 hours ago, Jacka said:

My whole deal with this topic is the way people in unions are portrayed.There are lazy people in and out of unions. There are good and bad in and out of unions.Unions saved many lives and jobs if a employer was working their people in unsafe conditions because it was more profitable than to fix it.If someone complained in non union they were just fired. The mining company couldn't fire you just because you didn't want to be maimed or killed. I worked for two quarrying companies, first one for 6 years union,they had sirens in belts,crushers for 30 seconds before starting, 2nd one non union slave outfit for a year didn't.Young guy was repairing conveyor other guy started it,tore his arm off at the shoulder.I think the idea here is you hate people because they are just in a union or were it's like to hate people because of their race ,religion or nationality. Pretty close minded to me.Bottom line is if companies paid well with good benefits they wouldn't need unions. 

???????  You just pointed out a non salary reason to have a union in employee safety.  OSHA does not cover every place and everything.  A place I worked at almost 20 years ago had a worker get killed  even though the equipment he was working on had his lockout in place on it.  It was not a union shop but my point is that equipment could have very well had no provision for safety even though another worker had the means to remove the lock.  Businesses will often follow the path of least cost including minimal safety features on equipment.  

5 hours ago, Jacka said:

Good post. after ww2 the middle class was created by the GI bill  the big 3 auto makers and the unions.

2 hours ago, supermpuller said:

Good post. after ww2 the middle class was created by the GI bill  the big 3 auto makers and the unions.

Do you think every other factory in the world being blown up in the war may have been a factor? The rest of the world has been rebuilt, and there are many areas still developing. Negotiating like it is 1955 in Detroit is a ridiculous strategy and is a great way to negotiate yourself right out of a job. 

• Like 3

Are there unions in the government? We hear about the teachers unions all the time and many schools are funded by the government. But I never heard of a union in a post office or odot. I can’t believe NASA would need a union, they can just have anything they want… when we were subbing for a major contractor there the stuff that we saw in the scrap bins was absolutely sickening . Stuff like top of the line Quincy compressors that were never wired up, still bolted to the pallet. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Negotiating like it is 1955 in Detroit is a ridiculous strategy and is a great way to negotiate yourself right out of a job. 

The switch to EV will take out  1/3 of the jobs 

Notice they only walked out at ICE production plants 

If they had walked out at the EV plants the auto makers would have been happy since they are money losers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Are there unions in the government? We hear about the teachers unions all the time and many schools are funded by the government. But I never heard of a union in a post office or odot. I can’t believe NASA would need a union, they can just have anything they want… when we were subbing for a major contractor there the stuff that we saw in the scrap bins was absolutely sickening . Stuff like top of the line Quincy compressors that were never wired up, still bolted to the pallet. 

The majoity of Unionized workers in the US are in the goverment 

https://time.com/6267979/government-unions-corrupt-democracy/

An excerpt from this article and I consider Time to be left leaning 

image.png.333647a638b3314a0ea4b61b2a13b8a4.png

23 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

The switch to EV will take out  1/3 of the jobs 

Notice they only walked out at ICE production plants 

If they had walked out at the EV plants the auto makers would have been happy since they are money losers 

Tesla seems to be doing ok.  They’re EV only. And union free. 
And the UAW president was attacking Musk for some reason on CBS Sunday news show. 

7 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

And the UAW president was attacking Musk for some reason on CBS Sunday news show. 

Because Musk has alot of $$$.   to some that in of itself is a crime.

The guys lack of humility also makes him an easy target if you are pandering for sympathy for your cause.

On another note,  The Mercedes EQXX is one of the first EVs i have seen talked about that has piqued my interest.   600+mi range i think?

8 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Smfarms I am not Mr Lazy WP my handle is Jeeper61 , you might want to get your eyes checked 

No harm done I take that as a complement as I drove a truck for a few years  and have a lot of respect for those who drive a big rig for a living 

Labor costs certainly have an impact on prices

As I pointed out futher back in this thread having a higher labor rate as the US auto makers do put them at a disandvantage to the forgein makes who have a $10 per hour lower labor rate at their US factories 

Sir, I was directing my comments to Mr Lazy WP as he seems to have the opinion that everything in this country is Union made and that’s the reason everything costs so much today. You sir kindly pointed out facts that prove otherwise. I mean no disrespect to anyone. We all have our opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MTB98 said:

If the stock didn't go to the stratosphere it think the out come would have been differant 

They had plenty of money to get to profitability and invest in plants and equipment 

They have some fit and finish problems with the  model 3 

8 hours ago, 766 Man said:

???????  You just pointed out a non salary reason to have a union in employee safety.  OSHA does not cover every place and everything.  A place I worked at almost 20 years ago had a worker get killed  even though the equipment he was working on had his lockout in place on it.  It was not a union shop but my point is that equipment could have very well had no provision for safety even though another worker had the means to remove the lock.  Businesses will often follow the path of least cost including minimal safety features on equipment.  

what if this is a sales tactic that everyone is following along with. Too expensive ICE, parts availability on older models is becoming harder and harder. How about we set you up with a nice battery powered Flintstone Mobile?

The auto companies in question and shutter the plants, remain profitable, and nothave a blackeye on the reputation because they ““ did all I could do  “

I guess, being jaded, and looking for the smoke and mirrors before taking something for face value is a fault.

• Like 3