GM Strike

766 Man

1 hour ago, MTB98 said:

What part of the qualifications for an assembly line worker would she be unable to fulfill?  She appears to be able bodied and apparently is intelligent. 

I've seen plenty of MEN and women who can't hack assembly line factory work. It's not rocket science no. But there are plenty who can't do it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I've seen plenty of MEN and women who can't hack assembly line factory work. It's not rocket science no. But there are plenty who can't do it.

Amen!  It takes a special mentality to work an assembly line.  I say that with the utmost respect for those that do it also. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTB98 said:

When you break down big numbers and put them into perspective of what they really mean it destroys that “not fair wages” argument very easily. 
If GM came out and said “OK we are firing the CEO and have someone who has agreed to work for  FREE and we are splitting up the $29 million with all of you hardworking UAW members!” they’d be met with raucous cheers. Until they got their first paycheck and see that is a few cents per hour more. 

I can't go that far, there might be a round of applause for taking down the CEO, IMHO she should lead by example and her generous pay increases should be fair game . 

by crazies I was referring to a minority. most guys just go to work and mind their own business

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I don’t think I could do it for very long. I’ve worked with and know quite a few folks who’ve done it. Seems to be monotonous, tedious, repetitive mind numbing work. But some people like that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

I can see where a pay increase might be in order with the way the rest of the economy has gone. Our hometown Mc Donalds is offering 14$ an hour starting pay with a 1$ bonus for opening and closing but that still doesn't seem to interest a lot of people. Video gambling machines are all over here just about every gas station has 4 or 5, 7:00 in the morning or 8:00 at night people are sitting in front of these things in slippers and pj's smoking cigarettes and blowing their government provided pay. That in my opinion is a lot of the problem.

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

I can see where a pay increase might be in order with the way the rest of the economy has gone. Our hometown Mc Donalds is offering 14$ an hour starting pay with a 1$ bonus for opening and closing but that still doesn't seem to interest a lot of people. Video gambling machines are all over here just about every gas station has 4 or 5, 7:00 in the morning or 8:00 at night people are sitting in front of these things in slippers and pj's smoking cigarettes and blowing their government provided pay. That in my opinion is a lot of the problem.

That is the adjenda masters nanny the sheelple into misery for $$$$$

8 hours ago, MTB98 said:

The CEO salary is irrelevant to workers pay. They don’t do the same type of work and have entirely different roles. 
GM claims to have 50,000 UAW workers, 92,000 total US employees and 165,000 employees worldwide. If she worked for free and redistributed her total salary to all the workers it breaks out like this

UAW employees only each receive $580 annually or about $10/week. 
US abased employees only each receive $315 annually or $6/week. 
All global employees each receive $175 annually or about $3/week. 
Yes $29 million is a lot of money but “sharing the wealth” in a company the size of GM doesn’t go very far when broken down to real numbers. 

Lee Iacocca worked for a dollar per year the first couple of years he ran Chrysler.  I don't see those days coming back anytime soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I had to look to see if you were next door.  Similar here.  The Mennonites are working one of the local McDonald's presumably because it now pays better then some other places.

24 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

I had to look to see if you were next door.  Similar here.  The Mennonites are working one of the local McDonald's presumably because it now pays better then some other places.

So, do they get all the Sundays and religious holidays off?  If they do I wonder how the rest of the employees feel?  I remember back in the 1990's I worked at a few places where there was a lot of fighting over those things.  

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

So, do they get all the Sundays and religious holidays off?  If they do I wonder how the rest of the employees feel?  I remember back in the 1990's I worked at a few places where there was a lot of fighting over those things.  

I would almost guarantee they do.  I don't really frequent the place.

23 hours ago, acem said:

I've been around some upper management of larger corporations that didn't have that much sense. They just chose their parents carefully.

Just one local example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/07/business/tyson-foods-cfo-arrest/index.html

Been through idiot management most of the stops I made in the business world.  When I worked for Central Tractor during the mid-1990's they thought that they could actually go toe to toe with Walmart in terms of buying power.  A result of that being they stopped stocking anything that did not turn over inventory once every two weeks.  In favor of buying cheap and shoddy clothing to sell.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:41 PM, Lazy WP said:

Just my opinion but I think all unions should be abolished. 
Let the fire roll. 

I worked union and non union. Union companies made more money overall, treated their workers better, workers stayed longer which increased business productivity because they didn't have to retrain people because they jumped from job to job. Union companies provided benefits or cost shared so the employees weren’t running to government welfare office to apply for FREE Healthcare paid for by the taxpayers. (I was told 35 years ago by the biggest employer close to me if I wanted health insurance go apply at the welfare office like the rest of the employees,the pay was so bad it would have taken two weeks out of a month just to pay for it).I left and worked for major trucking company and had paid insurance and 3 times hourly rate.All the companies I worked union for are still in business and those ones I didn't greedy owners sold out were multi millionaires. I also worked for largest financial company in the world,non union commission only and EXCELLED.Thats because management was great and appreciated workers Unions also got federal pay rate established for federal jobs that NON UNION workers take advantage of every day but they dont say a word of thanks about that. Overall union workers are as good as anyone, lazy bums on welfare are non union and how's that work out. I work as  self employed dairy farmer to and resent people bashing others just because they choose to be unionized. 

17 minutes ago, Jacka said:

lazy bums on welfare are non union and how's that work out. I work as  self employed dairy farmer to and resent people bashing others just because they choose to be unionized. 

Most lazy bums on welfare that I know came from a family that had a union employer the previous generation. 
I have only taken 1 government handout and that was the Covid BS. I have a major problem with a union employee who quits loading trucks 2 hours before the publicized deadline because he has a 3 hour drive home? Yeah, I just went 1,000 miles to get here to load. 
You don’t like me bashing unions but its ok for you to run down the rural people who have to buy all the overpriced stuff union people made. Eliminate them all. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Most lazy bums on welfare that I know came from a family that had a union employer the previous generation. 
I have only taken 1 government handout and that was the Covid BS. I have a major problem with a union employee who quits loading trucks 2 hours before the publicized deadline because he has a 3 hour drive home? Yeah, I just went 1,000 miles to get here to load. 
You don’t like me bashing unions but its ok for you to run down the rural people who have to buy all the overpriced stuff union people made. Eliminate them all. 

What I like is the union shops that close at 3:30 but stop receiving at 2:45 and when you get there at 2:46 refuse to unload one pallet of expensive steel then get belligerent about it yelling at me because how dare I show up 1 minute late we needed that steel..... 🙄 happened more than once

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I am not running down ANY RURAL PEOPLE. I am rural,I been working since I could drive a M at 5 baling hay while dad rode the wagon. I worked 7 DAYS A WEEK milking my own cows .When I started milking I went 8 years without missing a milking. That's showing up to work 365 days a year twice a day.730 times in one year I showed up to work multiply that by 8 years without a day off.Plenty of dairymen do the same too.Unless you milked your own cows you know NOTHING, you don't know what work is sitting in your truck complaining because you have to wait. I am not bashing truck drivers because I am one.You just lump everyone in one box and it doesn't work that way.Union people  are good people too.You jealous  or what?I sure hope your following me sometime in my plow truck on the interstate you wanna pass when you can't,I slow you down for sure.Your handle fits you,Lazy.

20 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I am not running down ANY RURAL PEOPLE. I am rural,I been working since I could drive a M at 5 baling hay while dad rode the wagon. I worked 7 DAYS A WEEK milking my own cows .When I started milking I went 8 years without missing a milking. That's showing up to work 365 days a year twice a day.730 times in one year I showed up to work multiply that by 8 years without a day off.Plenty of dairymen do the same too.Unless you milked your own cows you know NOTHING, you don't know what work is sitting in your truck complaining because you have to wait. I am not bashing truck drivers because I am one.You just lump everyone in one box and it doesn't work that way.Union people  are good people too.You jealous  or what?I sure hope your following me sometime in my plow truck on the interstate you wanna pass when you can't,I slow you down for sure.Your handle fits you,Lazy.

Yepper that would be me. Anytime you or anyone else wants to try to stay with me, bring it on. 
I have milked exactly 4 cows in my life and hated every second of it. 
Unions had their place but they have over run their lives. They have done nothing but driven the prices totally out of control in the last 30 years. 
You might want to check out what and who I am before you spout off. You have no clue what rural is. 

On 9/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, acem said:

I don't understand why some of y'all say you can't make it on $35 an hour???

The average person in Arkansas makes $29,000 per year according to the US census. That's less than $15 an hour. They make it. 

Many people in the US make less than $10 per hour and make it.

One person making $15 a hour,wife at home with two kids isn't going be enough to live,save a down-payment for house,save for  retirement, take a vacation, buy a few birthday,Christmas presents,let alone enjoy life a little. It's a shame but that 15 a hour was great money not all that long ago. I don't make much more than that now but things changed as  I got older and we ar fixed a little better. A young person would NEVER get ahead in my area for that.They pay in the $20's to work a gas stations/stores here.Not arguing or putting anyone down but it's crazy,$100 bill isn't much anymore 

27 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Yepper that would be me. Anytime you or anyone else wants to try to stay with me, bring it on. 
I have milked exactly 4 cows in my life and hated every second of it. 
Unions had their place but they have over run their lives. They have done nothing but driven the prices totally out of control in the last 30 years. 
You might want to check out what and who I am before you spout off. You have no clue what rural is. 

I don't care WHO YOU ARE and your the one that started running your mouth to me.I was just offering my experiences.on working union and non,full commission sales and self employed dairy man.

12 minutes ago, Jacka said:

One person making $15 a hour,wife at home with two kids isn't going be enough to live,save a down-payment for house,save for  retirement, take a vacation, buy a few birthday,Christmas presents,let alone enjoy life a little. It's a shame but that 15 a hour was great money not all that long ago. I don't make much more than that now but things changed as  I got older and we ar fixed a little better. A young person would NEVER get ahead in my area for that.They pay in the $20's to work a gas stations/stores here.Not arguing or putting anyone down but it's crazy,$100 bill isn't much anymore 

Arkansas is the leading state of residents receiving federal government assistance according to this source. Easier to live on $30k/year with help. 
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/federal-aid-by-state

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

I worked 7 DAYS A WEEK milking my own cows .When I started milking I went 8 years without missing a milking. That's showing up to work 365 days a year twice a day.730 times in one year I showed up to work multiply that by 8 years without a day off.Plenty of dairymen do the same too.Unless you milked your own cows you know NOTHING

Did you ever hire any help in that time? Did you ever have several employees agree to help you milk cows and then when it was time to go to work they said they wouldn’t until you renegotiated their salary? Did you let employees tell you what you were going to pay them based on their analysis of what they thought you could afford? I bet you didn’t and if you did you probably would have told them where they can stick it. The experience that matters isn’t union vs non union, it’s employee vs employer. Strikes are hard on employees, but employers very existence can hang in the balance. I don’t know of a single business that couldn’t exist without the union, but every single union cannot exist without an employer. 

• Thanks 2