Jump to content

Tractor of the week. Week 36: Hydro 70


nepoweshiekfarmalls

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I'd post mine but it's in working clothes and don't want to be snickered at.It's also very low serial #,4th one off the line.It's the most used hydro tractor I have and the most used overall tractor on the farm. 

We like 'em in their work clothes.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine is ugly, but it does the job. Haven't had it running for a couple of months because I haven't gotten around to replacing a leaking hydraulic cooler hose. Planning on working on it tomorrow though. Need to get ready for another NoDak winter! I spent so much time in it last winter l really didn't want to get back in the seat over the summer! Time to get the 3 point installed and mount the snowblower so I know everything works when winter gets here. Hope I don't even need the snowblower now that I  have one. But I  have it just in case we get another doozy like last year.

20230408_180859.jpg

20230401_190845.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's mine waiting to be repaired. It's been a good tractor for the past 20 some years that I've owned it. The D312 starts easy and runs great. The hydro is getting pretty weak so I need to replace fluid and filters and go through all the settings and adjustments. Then test pressures and see if I'm going to be saving my pennies for a rebuild/ replacement. Also have a couple of loader cylinders leaking and the remote valve is leaking too. Nothing I wouldn't expect on a 50 year old tractor though.

20230916_195416.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Hydro 70 that my Dad owned. Bought it in late 1976. Funny thing about it was it did not have the Hydro stripes on the front of the hood. I used it to bale with our JD 466 baler. Added the 2250 loader about 1979. Dad used it with his four row corn planters. Sometimes used for disking when the 826 had the plow on it. Dad sold it at his retirement auction in 2007. (first photo) Son of a friend of my father bought it. He gave the tractor the nickname "Butch", which was the name people knew my Dad by. He had it repainted and added the stripes on the hood.

PB100032-1080.jpg

IMG_0225 1080.JPG

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was a diesel hydro 70 on the dealer lot when I was 10-12 years old, tried getting dad to buy it, but he wouldn’t. Don’t remember if it had a loader on it but I remember that it didn’t have fenders. Always liked the white stripes on the hood too. I bought the Hydro 86 years later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I am not sure other than paint.But I have never seen one up close. 

I think the 86 may have been geared differently. The Hydro 70 will indeed run 27 mph in high range with 15.5-38 rubber as the legend had it because I was in the seat of one last summer. Never heard the same scuttlebutt about an 86.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have 16.9-38 on my hydro 86 and I’ve been told that it will do just over 30mph. That was being followed by a pickup, could be a couple mph off.

3 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

I think the 86 may have been geared differently. The Hydro 70 will indeed run 27 mph in high range with 15.5-38 rubber as the legend had it because I was in the seat of one last summer. Never heard the same scuttlebutt about an 86.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, acem said:

Tell us about the modifications to that hydro @nate

Exhaust, engine cover, steps, etc.

Exhaust we put on, so we can get under the low cattle shed. Side panels were made with scrap aluminum sheet we had, they run up under side tins and hook on frame rails. Off in 30 seconds.   Put them on, because steers like to lick and chew on everything.   Steps dad made.   Nice and easy to get off and on. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, nate said:

Exhaust we put on, so we can get under the low cattle shed. Side panels were made with scrap aluminum sheet we had, they run up under side tins and hook on frame rails. Off in 30 seconds.   Put them on, because steers like to lick and chew on everything.   Steps dad made.   Nice and easy to get off and on. 

Good idea about those side panels. I let mine sit in the field too long and the cows chew wires off.I thought they were on to keep engine warm in winter. Does it quiet the engine down some? One thing I hate about mine is its the loudest tractor I have. Just seems noise comes from everywhere out of the engine not only the exhaust. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

Good idea about those side panels. I let mine sit in the field too long and the cows chew wires off.I thought they were on to keep engine warm in winter. Does it quiet the engine down some? One thing I hate about mine is its the loudest tractor I have. Just seems noise comes from everywhere out of the engine not only the exhaust. 

They are, indeed, noisy. Especially with the cab. But I'll put up with the noise in the cab when it's 20 below and windy. Even without a heater the cab makes it bearable. I have inner ear dysfunction and a few hours in it pushing snow will really get my ears ringing and balance off kilter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...