Jump to content

Fun topic...where to move if had too


TroyDairy

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Those numbers just wobble my mind. 

When I was in high school about half the farmers in the area milked, from 30 to 50 head. 

All gone now. 

 

Assume 2x a day. 

Thought I read somewhere there were some that tried/are 3x ???

 

After my uncle sold his half of the dairy to his brother and nephew, they built a new parlor and grew to milk 800+, I was told that they milked 23 hours a day. An hour for cleaning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

NY is not as horrible as some say.

Somewhat O/T

Even seems to have a secret power plan back-up!

” A completely finished nuclear plant called Shoreham sits idle on Long Island, having never been approved for commercial operation in the face of vigorous environmental opposition.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/09/15/new-york-urgently-needs-to-confront-the-contradiction-of-trying-to-electrify-everything-while-also-eliminating-fossil-fuels/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

One dairy farm north of of me, 50-60 miles, was a one man show. He told his 3 daughters that he was going to quit unless they could figure out how to keep it going. They quit their jobs and came back to the farm, built a cheese aging basement, on farm store and are selling yogurt, cheese, ice cream and added a beef herd to sell fresh meat also. I believe that they sell more things from other locals also. They have 15 full time employees now with a 125 head dairy and 80 head of beef.

It’s great when that works.  I just have reservations.  It’s very much a niche and doesn’t take much to get upside down.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

It’s great when that works.  I just have reservations.  It’s very much a niche and doesn’t take much to get upside down.

Selling direct to the consumer I do believe that is going to be the future of agriculture. If I were starting out that's how I would try to do it. The way things have went this year that might be my future as well 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Those numbers just wobble my mind. 

When I was in high school about half the farmers in the area milked, from 30 to 50 head. 

All gone now. 

 

Assume 2x a day. 

Thought I read somewhere there were some that tried/are 3x ???

 

In Idaho and Wa id say 80+% cows are milked 3x a day. We milk 21-22/day, 2 11hr shifts.  California prob half herds are 3x.  I personally am not 100% if its worth it with labor and supply cost.  But i also dont want to cut the milk #s

 

Had nice chat with a MO member yesterday.  An called a open dairy in the Sikeston area.  Good call...alot of $ but he feels flexible on some arrangment.  Fwlla in NE on empty dairy brother called about.... not flexible.  Or in reality.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Those numbers just wobble my mind. 

When I was in high school about half the farmers in the area milked, from 30 to 50 head. 

All gone now. 

 

Assume 2x a day. 

Thought I read somewhere there were some that tried/are 3x ???

 

All the guys that are milking a truckload or more per day I know are at least 3X milking 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing I hear alot of and that really bugs me is a lot of these big modern dairies are averaging 2.5 lactations per cow 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

 

Had nice chat with a MO member yesterday.  An called a open dairy in the Sikeston area.  Good call...alot of $ but he feels flexible on some arrangment.  

Sikeston is 2 hours west of me. If that is where you land I’d be glad to meet you at Lambert’s Cafe sometime! It’s a somewhat famous place where they throw dinner rolls across the dining room to people. The food is good too!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cool1566 said:
12 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

 

Had nice chat with a MO member yesterday.  An called a open dairy in the Sikeston area.  Good call...alot of $ but he feels flexible on some arrangment.  

Sikeston is 2 hours west of me. If that is where you land I’d be glad to meet you at Lambert’s Cafe sometime! It’s a somewhat famous place where they throw dinner rolls across the dining room to people. The food is good too!

I’m an hour and 45 minutes north of Sikeston 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, AKwelder said:

It’s great when that works.  I just have reservations.  It’s very much a niche and doesn’t take much to get upside down.

Not everyone can do it. If they did the market would be saturated. But it is nice to see some who can make it fly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, sandhiller said:

When I was in high school about half the farmers in the area milked, from 30 to 50 head. 

All gone now. 

Similar here tho more before my time. Both sets of grandparents milked at one time. Used to be many small dairy farmers around. All gone that I can think of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m about an hour west of Benton. Dad had a 1600 acre farm around Benton-Thompsonville-West Frankfort from 1980-84 and lost it. Was no bottom to that dirt when it was wet. He had a 1460 2wd with the big 66” fronts and it was parked cutting wheat one wet summer. His neighbor had 2-1460 4wds with tall skinny fronts with duals and they walked right through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

I’m about an hour west of Benton. Dad had a 1600 acre farm around Benton-Thompsonville-West Frankfort from 1980-84 and lost it. Was no bottom to that dirt when it was wet. He had a 1460 2wd with the big 66” fronts and it was parked cutting wheat one wet summer. His neighbor had 2-1460 4wds with tall skinny fronts with duals and they walked right through.

He means Benton Missouri north of Sikeston off I-55.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 6:40 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Not everyone can do it. If they did the market would be saturated. But it is nice to see some who can make it fly.

It’s great when you see it, and it pays its way. 
 

I would buy from them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, acem said:

Here an article about a large proposed dairy in south Dakota.

There aren't that many dairy cows in all of Arkansas!

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/hamlin-residents-hold-public-meeting-for-proposed-86-million-dairy-farm/amp/

That’s interesting. Apparently Riverview is fed up with MN and looking to greener pastures. 12,000 cows borders on pocket change for Riverview.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, MTB98 said:

Interesting information from Wisconsin Dairy about leading dairy states. Wherever you go you need to be sure to have a buyer. I only have one family member left in the dairy business and he’s a small one man show.  
0F52B83F-8DDF-43F5-9397-7E7712004DCA.jpeg.00872428f18d4add7c81d8fa2c342c31.jpeg

Is the ‘Eau Claire Milk Price Formula’ still in effect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My roots are firmly planted 5 generations deep, but if I had to relocate, northern Missouri would be high on my list.  Southern Illinois would be a close second,  but the state politics make that less attractive. The Nebraska sandhills receive an honorable mention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The Nebraska sandhills receive an honorable mention. 

Some of the best people you will ever meet.  And the country has it's own type of "quiet" beauty.  And I don't live in the Sandhills, albeit close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Riverview has a handful in SD already.  Odd operation in how they manage the herd.  Spoke with some vet students who interred there.

12000.... big cross vent barn i am sure.  Whats 'funny' is guys in ID and KS been milking on 10k cow dairies since the late 90s.  No one wrote a article....

Faria in Dahlhart is at 90k on one site.  Someone post silage pics.  Fella thought 26 choppers (from all ove heartland) amd 180 trucks, from 1 to 50 miles were fields 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Faria in Dahlhart is at 90k on one site.  Someone post silage pics.  Fella thought 26 choppers (from all ove heartland) amd 180 trucks, from 1 to 50 miles were fields 

And they are still chopping! Was through there Thursday. Lots of pivots there don’t have enough water to raise the corn that was planted on them. 
That area, it’s not uncommon to see choppers running from May through November. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, acem said:

Here an article about a large proposed dairy in south Dakota.

There aren't that many dairy cows in all of Arkansas!

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/hamlin-residents-hold-public-meeting-for-proposed-86-million-dairy-farm/amp/

Now, in Clark County, SD there is a 12,000 head dairy at Raymond, two smaller ones by Willow Lake. There are at least 6 large hog feeding facilities in this County and I am not counting the Hutterite hog or dairy farms. It is rumored that one hog operation was started just for the manure/fertilizer. I told a County Commissioner that Clark County will soon be the "Crap Capitol of South Dakota".  

The next County East, Hamlin County, has a large dairy near Bryant and is now proposing this 12,000+ head dairy at Hazel, SD. The Bryant one bought the nursing home and turned it into housing for those of Hispanic descent. And they just keep making the cheese plant bigger at Lake Norden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I am seeing here I sure would check the cost of energy before going anywhere.  Electrical costs and propane/nat gas/heating oil. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...