Fun topic...where to move if had too

TroyDairy

I can only tell you where not to go.  Don't come to NY.  More regulations are going to happen in terms of livestock and fertilizer usage.  I think state income taxes will be 1.5 times what they are now within 5 years to bail out NYC.  To be perfectly honest I don't think the state cares if agriculture survives anymore.  

• Like 3

Missouri has the mighty Missip but also St Louis;  neither will go away.

Taxes are a red herring, Texas has no personal income tax and most groceries are not taxed and there is no property tax on automotive BUT the property taxes for non-ag  appear to be very high. Every school and college district seems  to have a lien on my property that comes due once per year.

I would take Kentucky, better weather, plenty of water, closer to mass population centers  and no St Louis.

• Haha 1

Less populated states are probably better than higher population ones .... 

• Like 5

All depends on what part of agriculture you’re interested in. Beef, Nebraska wins hands down, grain and dairy probably goes to Missouri if for no other reason then transportation. 
Nebraska property taxes are the reason I don’t live in Nebraska. Most grain markets use Kansas City as their basis or Chicago, so that’s a bonus for Missouri. Nebraska, you better be willing to drive. Sandhillers closest equipment dealer is 60 plus miles away. 
I don’t know much about Kentucky so can’t say much about it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oleman said:

would take Kentucky, better weather, plenty of water, closer to mass population centers  and no St Louis.

Kentucky is a pretty state. But why on earth would a person want to be close to any population centers?

• Like 2

I'd probably go with Missouri as my first pick of your options. My aunt lives in KC, and while I don't like that area, I've always liked the area around Clinton for some reason. Easy rolling farmland, lots of corn and soybeans, and mostly small-time farmers with older equipment that I've seen but that may have changed in the last four years. Always said if I had to leave my hills that's where I'd go. Then again, W. Kentucky sort of appeals to me. A bunch of little hill farms tucked back into hollers and creek bottoms last time I was over there, saw a lot of full corn cribs and pickers in the field where I'd have thought there would've been combines/ newer equipment. It's almost like the rest of the world just forgot about that area. 

Of course, I have no idea about taxes or cost of living in either place, so I may not be the best person to ask! I know in Arkansas, everything is taxed; personal property, land, food, gasoline, you name it. The cost of living is low but the wages are too, and making a living is a pretty hard row to hoe. But, the nearest major city is 3 hours away, the hunting and fishing are excellent, and nobody really bothers you, so I guess I'll stay. 

Mac

• Like 4

I'd stay away from Pennsylvania, I've seen the cranky old guy it produced!  Canada has a questionable guy up there also, he thinks dynos are generators.

I'd say somewhere I can ride side by sides and be left alone would be fine.  Maybe somewhere with rich you and dumb widower's that don't speak English so they can't understand my buddies giving me slack about them.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Not one of your options per se, but South Dakota (Adjacent to Nebraska) would be on my list to look at.

Same here. Farmland could be bought for less than $20000 an acre and rented for under $400, unlike Iowa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

I'd stay away from Pennsylvania, I've seen the cranky old guy it produced!  Canada has a questionable guy up there also, he thinks dynos are generators.

I'd say somewhere I can ride side by sides and be left alone would be fine.  Maybe somewhere with rich you and dumb widower's that don't speak English so they can't understand my buddies giving me slack about them.

I guess all it takes is 1 guy to ruin it for the rest of us, eh? Some of us know what dynos are. Think they're in Alberta.... lol

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Kevin in ky said:

Come on down to western ky great place to live.farming is a thriving industry here.Can’t compare it to any place else because I’ve been here all my life.

Cadiz?

or Calhoun better?

Big dairy in Hickman backed out of deal Friday morning.  DFA is pissed is word since they were banking on milk.  Hickman makes rural NE look like population center!

We need to leave WA.  You guys grumbling about your state and its things have 0 idea.  Now the state wants to take away our wells for the indians.  Even thought my water is 100% proven to be part of the Fraser river system IN CANADA!!  So how I am affecting the tribe 20 miles S is loonacy.  AND I will still need to hire attorney and etc etc to prove I can use water which I already have permit to use.  OT is killing us with 24/7 work.  The hispanic fellas are leaving since 750000 is the avg home price and rent for a 2bd is 1700, 3bd 2500.  We just cant keep paying.  NE taxes are still less than here.  We're $130+/acre now if you put it all together.  Our Gov is a narcissistic fool and his AG whom is running next year is WAY more liberal and anti-ag.  But Seattle will vote him in...100%  I serve on the county and state Farm Bureau and see weekly the horrible policy coming from our capital and it's no question set-up to crush farmers to take over.  I used to think that was crazy talk but now there cannot be any more debate it's so obvious.  The liberals think they know best and can do it more 'equitable' so we need to get them dang white unfair farmers off the land.

If we want to continue esp if we want our kids to have a opportunity (or curse?) it 100% cannot be here anymore.  Sad to see the distain for ag in our state keep growing as we try so to 'teach' people and get them to see 'our story'.... it aint working let me tell you.

Been to KY, Been to OK.  Like to see the empty Kiwi farm in Benton MO this winter.  Looks promising.  Not sure I will comprehend the humidity....  The SE is begging for dairies to come there.  Lot of small guy quitting and milk being trucked from IN, ILL etc and fuel prices are not making that workable anymore.  Been actually called by folks in SC, GA, KY, MO, MS, KS, NE ND.  SD is full and expensive and the worse milk price in NA last 8 months.  IA too $$$$.  Indiana...maybe.  IL, **** no.  Feel along the River is required.  I-29, I-55 and 51.  MO thinks S of Cape Giradue ....lots of land and flat and wanting manure region but 0 dairy service.  NE NE is promising since IA infrastructure is close.  Norfolk has a plant that adding on.

Lots of frustration and questions....  be easier to quit I guess and keep my money but new estate tax will soak me if we dont spend $ asap.  Just thievery.  We pay and pay which is fine.  But when we die and sell we need to pay again is BS imho.

• Sad 2

Troy, the talk in terms of new regulations is Draconian here in NY.  Reduced herbicide arsenal, no manure runoff tolerated, no manure soaking into water table, and fertilizer applied on a given acre of land once every five years.  Most politicians here are on a watershed kick and anything worth farming here is near a river or lake.  A 2,000-2,400 sq ft home is fast approaching 500,000 dollars.  You might hear of something that you might think is cheap but productivity most likely is not there.  

• Sad 1

That's a hard one. I cant imagine feeling like i had to pull up roots and move! 

Kentucky and Missouri have little winter to speak of! Nebraska has more winter.

What is the feed availability in m

Kentucky and MO?  Nebraska has larger ground imo.

I think all three have decent water. A freind a few years back looked at moving to the poorer parts of Missouri figured he could sell everything and buy less but more productive land. But that's montana vs. Washington. 

We are right on the way to anywhere your looking, willing to help if it makes your life easier.

Man thats a hard one.

• Like 2