Dodge 4x4

augercreek

Last year I bought a 03 Dodge 4x4 that looked real nice no rust or dings. I don't drive if the weather is nasty in the winter so I haven't had to use the 4x4 shifter any. So yesterday I had a trailer load of stone behind and was backing into the driveway and put it in 4H and backed in fine. Took it out of 4H and the lever just flopped back and forth! Crawled under and found the rod that pushes the lever had fallen off and the bushing was gone so I made a new one and found a hair pin clip to hold it in place. Works good but, will not shift into 4L with no amount of pushing. How Can I free this up?

So you were talking a three-quarter ton truck with the manual lever obviously, because I think the half tons had gone to a electric actuator when the “new” body style came out in 03. I had one of each can’t remember. I do remember something coming loose on the linkage of my ‘01 when it was fairly new and I think I added a washer to keep the linkage more square to the pivot shaft. Can’t be very complicated under there, put the truck in neutral, block the tires for Safety, yet allow them to wiggle a little bit, and rock the vehicle a bit?  
Fords of the early 90s, the bolts that held the lever to the linkage would break, I had one of the bolts break and get stuck in the linkage once

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

...transmission in neutral to get it into four low?

Possibly even "Park" (or even sometimes "engine off").  Mine's an '02, so it might be different, but 4L is with the shifter all the way forward, then N, then 2H, lastly 4H - shifter all the way back.  You have to go quick thru N from 2H to 4L or the trans may start to spin; even in neutral - just from incidental internal friction/drag.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Would it go in 4L before the linkage broke?  Do you need to put the transmission in neutral to get it into four low?     My not reading the manual and not having a 4x4 before is the problem! TRANSMISSION MUST BE IN NEUTRAL AND TRUCK NOT MOVING! You all know us men Never read the manual !!!!

I suppose I should have clarified - 'shift-on-the-fly' is only between 2H and 4H.  Until the light comes on in the cluster (the vacuum operated front axle actuator has locked the axle), you ain't got any 4-wheel...gotta be sure to pull the lever all the way back - fast and firm.  Vacuum control lines 'go down to/back and forth from' the transfer case/front axle.  When locked, front axle is "solid", so no turning on dry surfaces or you may well tear something up - if you're lucky, only tires.  Will hop and buck like a bronc.

I use 4L all the time hauling wagons and round bales up these hills - takes the strain off the trans.  'bout 25mph and the engine is singing a tune! (4.10 gears, 3500, Cummins)

• Thanks 1

To put in 4 Lo you have to have the transmission in drive and the wheels turning 3-5 MPH. It won't engage 4 Lo without being in motion. This is the way it was designed as per the owner's manual. 

• Thanks 1