M starter button relocate

ny bill o

my "new" 1946 M has the starter button rod through  the steering wheel support. It is almost impossible to use with my bad ankle.

100_3868.thumb.JPG.b9a7f6a0ec7e02dddb9deed90dfa2d5e.JPG

I have seen Ms and Hs with the button up on the light bar. Was this a factory thing, or just a farmer fix to a problem? My other 2 Ms have the lever push, but I don't especially want to start fabricating on that, if the light bar will work.

You could wire in a nice heavy duty starter solenoid in place of that troublesome switch and simply put a push-to-start electric button somewhere convenient to energize it. That's what I did on my W6. 

• Like 3

Many of the H farmalls have the starting button mounted on the steering post with the cast bracket.  To my knowledge,  none of the M's never had the button mounted on there.  However, I purchased a 1945 M that had the pin style replaced with the cast bracket mounted on the steering support.   Seems handy to me.

Screenshot_20230526-115435_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aa4ebbaf5c8f96926ed287fa9e5019e2.jpg

• Like 2

This is how my H was modified years ago. Not sure if G-Pa or Dad did it. Relay from a snow plow (yellow ) was cheaper than starter relay. Cheap push button (blue) through light bar. 

IMG_20220925_1450038553.jpg.4ebd26df2626fb883e085efa161dd50d.jpg

Myself, I would have mounted the relay lower but this is what I inherited...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

image.thumb.jpeg.78fe457f5654063d04b6cb8ba25cca9a.jpegthis is what’s on my H should be able to pick it up at a salvage yard easily and convert yours 

Just did this on an M for couple ole gentlemen farmers, they came in yesterday to pay the bill. They are very happy with it set up that way. 

• Like 1

That pin through the post is hard to do when you have a good ankle. I heard these were commercially available at one time but my uncle made this one. If you want to relocate the switch, they make buttons with softer springs, intended for hand use.IMG_0132.thumb.jpeg.7c567227fe52a7291aa33477e2fe19d7.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dzldenny said:

This is how my H was modified years ago. Not sure if G-Pa or Dad did it. Relay from a snow plow (yellow ) was cheaper than starter relay. Cheap push button (blue) through light bar. 

IMG_20220925_1450038553.jpg.4ebd26df2626fb883e085efa161dd50d.jpg

Myself, I would have mounted the relay lower but this is what I inherited...

Those snow plow solenoids are the berries. Made to be outside and a lot tougher than your average parts store variety.

• Like 1

Here's an idea for you: I mounted a starter button on a Cub steering post similar to the H mounting, using a hunk of 2" or 3" (whatever is the right width) C-channel I whacked off a piece I had laying around. It had a later 12V starter with a post on it so there was nowhere for the traditional saddle switch to mount. You can find the H mounts but the channel and strap I made mine with were "free" and on hand.

• Like 1

If you do, be careful it doesn’t interfere with 5th gear. Mine did andn5th was always jumping out, I think the starter button caused the forks to always be engaged, wore them out and 5th.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:59 AM, Farmall Doctor said:

You could wire in a nice heavy duty starter solenoid in place of that troublesome switch and simply put a push-to-start electric button somewhere convenient to energize it. That's what I did on my W6. 

got the starter switch redone like Darryn suggested. I had a NOS solenoid from the days of the Ford 6.9 diesels on hand, the other half of the clamp was in the drawer with I O U bolts, just had to buy a pushbutton and make the wires. Starts like a champ now! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Footnote: I went to show it off to Linda, and the Bendix jammed into the ring gear. SMH!

Link to Linda's video https://www.facebook.com/linda.bonneyolin/videos/1359449981344159

KIMG0490.thumb.JPG.967ec42a0f71e5ff9568f98174038252.JPG

• Like 3