NAPA (don't) know how.

FoxrunFarms02

6 hours ago, KWRB said:

Scaring me. I'm getting ready to work on one myself.

My local NAPA (was) good. Nice owner. Wife is a firefighter/EMT in a mutual aid department and I did training with her. He had two stores and consolidated into one bigger one right by the interstate. Can't blame him. It's better business.

They've always been great there about getting me parts, with supplier part number, competitor part number, or my half-sensical verbal description.

I guess we're still lucky here.

As for batteries, I thought I heard that at one time their batteries were Deka batteries by East Penn. Don't know if that's still the case. Just like I heard that at one time Napa filters were Wix.

I one time got a NOS IH oil seal there when I ordered the Napa number. Go figure.

Anyway, if you can find a retailer for East Penn/Deka, that's the best battery I've ever had, and it's the only one I'll buy anymore. Highest quality and 100% American.

I agree on batteries 100%. About two months ago I purchased a battery for my wife’s vehicle at the good Napa 15 miles west. I asked and the man told me they were made by Deka. The Napa Gold filters at least used to be Wix. 

My sister worked parts for 35 years at Jack Young Co. , a wholesale distributor in Boston. They had a parts counter with guys who had been there for years and she worked phone orders for fleets and large truck repair shops. Some customers would ask for only her. Visiting, and getting a deep discount, I would watch and listen as she took an order. She knew many numbers off the top of her head. She also kept all the old books as not everything can be found on the websites.

NAPA Gold are Wix.

As in most jobs experience is important.

It is aggravating to be asked what engine for windshield wipers but the lookup probably won't let you go beyond without answering that question.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KWRB said:

As for batteries, I thought I heard that at one time their batteries were Deka batteries by East Penn. Don't know if that's still the case.

Pretty sure Exide makes them for Napa, but that could have changed.  

Most NAPA's here are owned by one franchise with an independent and corporate store here and there.  The one I used to deal with had an absolutely top notch guy that literally worked at napa since he was 18.  By 40 he just couldn't take being whipped as manager anymore for the pay and went to the truck side.   That quickly ended my association with that store.  The next one (actually closer anyways is somewhat OK.  One veteran, rest are a revolving door but at least they seem to order and deliver stuff in a timely manner.  

My advice to anyone is do your research ahead of time and just give a number unless it's just normal basic stuff.  

• Like 1

Found out recently our local oreilys is paying counter help $10.50 an hour. Walmart will beat that by $4. No wonder. They are ok ish and cheaper than the local Napa. Napa has been up and down over the years but usually mostly ok other than the price difference. 

Was using rock auto a lot till I got a new throttle body for my taurus. The website said it fit my car. It did not. Maybe a standard taurus but not the sho. I did not realize their policy on returns, and since this slid down to back burner status for a month or so, they would not even talk to me about anything. I was outside their 30-day return policy. 

• Like 1

I've worked in the auto parts industry for 10 years. From driver to corporate employee. I can promise you. The big 3 are struggling. I have pages and pages and pages of data on market shares and profits. RTR at risk. Where new all the new parts are coming from. Why all of your auto parts stores are staffed with warm bodies and not professionals. How you're supposed to meet payroll goals while maintaining head count but reduce turnover. The team in the store I currently manage has a lot of years of experience behind the counter considering everyone is under 40. Most of us started in our teens or early 20s. But recently with new policies and a large focus on payroll, the question is "how do we retain this veteran team who deserves money, while still meeting payroll?". The answer a lot of store managers have come up with is "Kill the salary man" by working them 70+ hour weeks. On the corporate side we then look at our SM turnover and go "why are we loosing store managers daily?". Because they're burned out obviously. So they quit. Then they bring in someone unprepared for the position. And they run off the veteran staff. And you have a new team of warm bodies to train. 

I could go over this crap for hours. I assure you. As usual. The main problems are, Government regulations. And Corporate Politicians.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Found out recently our local oreilys is paying counter help $10.50 an hour. Walmart will beat that by $4. No wonder. They are ok ish and cheaper than the local Napa. Napa has been up and down over the years but usually mostly ok other than the price difference. 

Was using rock auto a lot till I got a new throttle body for my taurus. The website said it fit my car. It did not. Maybe a standard taurus but not the sho. I did not realize their policy on returns, and since this slid down to back burner status for a month or so, they would not even talk to me about anything. I was outside their 30-day return policy. 

About a year ago the manager from the Oreilly store showed up working at a gas station I frequent. I had gotten to know him some over the years. He told me he had to leave because he was only making $10/hr and just couldn’t pay his bills anymore. I couldn’t believe how little he said he made there. No wonder they can’t get decent help. You could literally go anywhere and make more. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

I've worked in the auto parts industry for 10 years. From driver to corporate employee. I can promise you. The big 3 are struggling. I have pages and pages and pages of data on market shares and profits. RTR at risk. Where new all the new parts are coming from. Why all of your auto parts stores are staffed with warm bodies and not professionals. How you're supposed to meet payroll goals while maintaining head count but reduce turnover. The team in the store I currently manage has a lot of years of experience behind the counter considering everyone is under 40. Most of us started in our teens or early 20s. But recently with new policies and a large focus on payroll, the question is "how do we retain this veteran team who deserves money, while still meeting payroll?". The answer a lot of store managers have come up with is "Kill the salary man" by working them 70+ hour weeks. On the corporate side we then look at our SM turnover and go "why are we loosing store managers daily?". Because they're burned out obviously. So they quit. Then they bring in someone unprepared for the position. And they run off the veteran staff. And you have a new team of warm bodies to train. 

I could go over this crap for hours. I assure you. As usual. The main problems are, Government regulations. And Corporate Politicians.

It's been like that for decades.  One reason why I expect all service businesses to go AI ASAP when the tech becomes available to them.  Another potential problem is I expect the government to dry up parts for anything but the most recent vehicles as part of its environmental policy.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

About a year ago the manager from the Oreilly store showed up working at a gas station I frequent. I had gotten to know him some over the years. He told me he had to leave because he was only making $10/hr and just couldn’t pay his bills anymore. I couldn’t believe how little he said he made there. No wonder they can’t get decent help. You could literally go anywhere and make more. 

Store managers from the big 3 are paid a base salary. Then a percentage of sales and ICP. some give bonuses for meeting payroll and other things I'm sure. Let's say Colorados base Salary is 40k. It isn't. But we can say it is. That'd be like 19.40 an hour. If. You worked 40hr weeks. Store managers are required to work a minimum of 45 one week and 50 the next. To meet payroll most work 60-70. So yeah. Most store managers are technically the lowest paid member of payroll based on hours in office. Of course that company is only paying them on a 40hr week. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KWRB said:

Scaring me. I'm getting ready to work on one myself.

My local NAPA (was) good. Nice owner. Wife is a firefighter/EMT in a mutual aid department and I did training with her. He had two stores and consolidated into one bigger one right by the interstate. Can't blame him. It's better business.

They've always been great there about getting me parts, with supplier part number, competitor part number, or my half-sensical verbal description.

I guess we're still lucky here.

As for batteries, I thought I heard that at one time their batteries were Deka batteries by East Penn. Don't know if that's still the case. Just like I heard that at one time Napa filters were Wix.

I one time got a NOS IH oil seal there when I ordered the Napa number. Go figure.

Anyway, if you can find a retailer for East Penn/Deka, that's the best battery I've ever had, and it's the only one I'll buy anymore. Highest quality and 100% American.

they were the '' go to '' place for many years till this happened

great service , respected in the community and so on

15 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

The other chains around here are auto only, won’t do a thing for heavy truck or ag

That's what I miss but our now departed 2 NAPA dealers. They had heavy truck and ag parts. The ones that are left, if it isn't in a car, you can forget it. So for ag stuff its closer to run to the dealer than a NAPA. Heavy Truck stuff you are condemed to running a minimum of 20 to 30 miles to get something. 

3 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

Unless things have drastically changed don't ask your 21 yr old tractor mech what he makes an hour working on your $500,000+ combine. Then go ask your truck mechanic what he makes working your $70,000 pickup. No tools provided... except dealer tools.

I don’t mean to be too sarcastic, but If buying a $500,000 combine is easier than wrenching on them what’s stopping them from renting 5,000 acres and buying one? I know rich farmers who are very successful, but I know lots more who struggle. A $500,000 purchase doesn’t mean the guy wrote a check for it. He likely has a crushing amount of debt because there is almost no chance that combine is the only thing he owes money on. 

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t mean to be too sarcastic, but If buying a $500,000 combine is easier than wrenching on them what’s stopping them from renting 5,000 acres and buying one? I know rich farmers who are very successful, but I know lots more who struggle. A $500,000 purchase doesn’t mean the guy wrote a check for it. He likely has a crushing amount of debt because there is almost no chance that combine is the only thing he owes money on. 

Missed my point.... they make next to nothing at an ag shop compared to what machine costs. Especially when a car mechanic makes a lot more. Back when I worked at Jerky's the young ag techs were starting at $13-14hr I believe. I was around $9.50 I think. I hope that has changed because that was 15 years ago. Now I'm a steering wheel holder making $35 as my vacation base. Relatively unskilled, whereas a tech has had to be more skilled now than they ever have.

• Like 2

I have to brag about the O’Reillys in Salina. I needed a couple heater hose shut off valves for my truck. Tried all the truck shops in town. They could all have them in a day or two. Gave up but stopped at O’Reillys to get oil and filters for my Jeep and thought I would ask about the valves just on principle. He didn’t even look up the part number, just asked if it was 5/8 or 3/4 hose. Only had 1, but could have the other in a couple hours or I could stop by the other store and he would have it sitting out ready for me. 
Needless to say, I will be supporting them more. 
Oh, and the Jeep filter, he couldn’t remember the number for the 93 model, but didn’t need all the rest of the information other than it was a 4.0! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I have to brag about the O’Reillys in Salina. I needed a couple heater hose shut off valves for my truck. Tried all the truck shops in town. They could all have them in a day or two. Gave up but stopped at O’Reillys to get oil and filters for my Jeep and thought I would ask about the valves just on principle. He didn’t even look up the part number, just asked if it was 5/8 or 3/4 hose. Only had 1, but could have the other in a couple hours or I could stop by the other store and he would have it sitting out ready for me. 
Oh, and the Jeep filter, he couldn’t remember the number for the 93 model, but didn’t need all the rest of the information other than it was a 4.0! 

Did you go to the one on Broadway or Planet? Pete has the big store on Broadway and seems to have a lot of respectful polite employees. Same with the planet store but I've only been there once.

56 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

Did you go to the one on Broadway or Planet? Pete has the big store on Broadway and seems to have a lot of respectful polite employees. Same with the planet store but I've only been there once.

Broadway. Used to use them a lot when Vince was there, but that’s 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, IHRunner said:

So you know Salina, why for?

On 9/7/2023 at 8:01 AM, IHRunner said:

We just lost a great manager at O'Reilly to a 40 hour day job, no weekends and higher pay.

We talked a bit about it. I didn't want to lose him but I understood why he was leaving.

A person has to watch out for himself.

On his last day he worked, I had a Dorman window regulator go bad. (Imagine that?)

He stuffed my old one in the box, gave me the new one and I was out the door.

He was minutes from walking out the door and the zone manager watched the whole thing happen.

Payback!

PS: Some of the best parts people have been women. And just like men, some of the worst.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, Lazy WP said:

I generally have good results with our O'Reilly's. What they don't have they can often get the same day.  Rarely go to Autozone.  We also have a regional chain called Al's, which has good people (at least here) and access to AC/Delco.  They supply most of the local repair shops.