Remember when your parents bought you one of these for $100 bucks?

lorenzo

1 hour ago, Doug in NY said:

we had a rupp 3 speed automatic bike and then upgraded to this in 1979, it was a 1978 KE 175 Kawasaki.  My brother and I mowed a lot of lawns to get the money together.  Our lawn was a freebie, only other people paid for grass to get cut.  the only thing was those that paid were done first and done best.  My dad could not really say anything because we were both going out and finding lawn  mowing jobs.

image.png.c0615509428bff8f4fc35dd76f6e89d2.png

I got my Farm permit when i was 14 on that exact same bike. My friend and i rode double to the Wilber court house so called ( czech ) capital of US. We had already passed the written test and had an appointment. I will never forget, the examiner stood on the steps outside, pointed to the bike and said “ is that yours?”   Yup,  ok get on it and ride around the block.  I have had the motorcycle endorsement ever since . 

On 9/2/2023 at 8:04 PM, Lars (midessa) said:

Never got into the mini-bike, or motorcycle thing. 
Had a couple cousins there really into them when we were growing up, and they were always ‘sporting some scar’s’, lol. Our mother, put her foot down and decreed absolutely no motor bikes of any kind, as long as we lived under her roof.

Even to this day, I never acquired the desire to get on a motorized two wheeler.

Similar situation when I was growing up in the 60's. One of the other kids in the neighborhood had an accident on his mini bike and was blinded for life. So, our 2 wheelers were bicycle's after that. I had a Schwinn  5 speed with a banana seat and managed to get plenty of scars with that.  I waited until I was 60 to get a mini bike, hahahaha.

• Like 1

I bought a '69 Z50 thirty years ago for $50 from a friend, it was pretty rough. A couple years ago I gave it back to the same guy, it was his when he was a kid, and he was really wanting it back just to put it on a shelf. I figured I'd have $2K in restoring it, not worth it to me. 

I spent many summers riding my uncles CT70 around a local lake in the late 70's, good memories. I later moved on to a KE100 before getting into more serious dirt bikes in high school.

• Like 1

I forgot about my BearCat trail scooter, it was my first dirt bike. It was custom small shop garage made before the real bikes got popular. 6 X 16 garden tractor lug rear tire and a wheel barrow front tire only had a rear shaft brake no front brake and no suspension. Drive was by a 5 HP Briggs and a variable belt and chain reduction transmission system.  In Ca in 1965 it was registered for off road use only. I shipped it via TRAIN from San Diego to my younger brothers still at home in South Carolina. When they got their first ticket for driving a motor cycle without a license they convinced the Judge that it was actually a garden tractor and farm equipment so no license required.

• Like 1

Started out with a mini bike with 4 hp Tecumseh. From there went to 1976 Hodaka Dirt Squirt 100, 1978 Suzuki RM125, 1982 Suzuki RM250 (first year with water-cooled engine), 1984 Suzuki PE175, and lastly 1998 Honda CR250R. The CR250R was by far the fastest dirt bike I ever owned. I finally decided to sell it before I got hurt on it.

• Like 1