Another reason I now drive a Ford

vtfireman85

On 9/2/2023 at 11:40 PM, Reichow7120 said:

Its not like the states ask us ( or listen for that matter). 

Plus most the population would rather have clear roads and drive fast than have to take their time and leave early and get home later for 4 or 5 months a year at least. Not saying your wrong. But I would bet you good money if it came to a vote, the plow and drive resposibly on the rest would lose to the treat the roads side. 

A big issue with just having everyone “slow down” for slick roads is that a road designed to handle 100,000 vehicles at 60 mph and is still jammed up during parts of the day will be literal gridlock if the speed is reduced to 30 mph. Commerce must continue as scheduled and food, gas, merchandise needs to get where it’s going on a schedule. Having large areas of the country at a standstill for days due to winter weather wouldn’t last very long. Until something better and less expensive than salt and brine mixtures is available that’s what we have. Seeing your vehicle being returned to the earth as rust isn’t a good feeling. 

• Like 3

I think that each company has had good and bad ideas, I mean ford has excellent marketing. The F series is the best selling truck because it’s ran since 1948. It’s comparing international to John Deere or snap on to mac or matco. I will say Coca Cola is better than Pepsi if that debate happens haha. 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:34 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

what do all the 2 wheel drive truck drivers do...........

next thing you know they'll do away with granny low 

They already did that…. Beginning in ‘87 with that p.o.s. ZF 5 speed in the Super Duties. 1st and reverse are both way too high for tight maneuvers with 5 cy of topsoil on the back.  Would have been a good trans for F250 if they had stopped there and put - almost anything else- in the Super Duty. Buy them from GM if you have to… but not that miserable expensive ZF together with its dual mass flywheel that only a few people in the country will attempt to resurface…. I’m glad Fuller’s name is not printed on that thing, maybe people will think it stands for Fiat. But, Ford will be Ford…

dual mass flywheel

we've been using those stupid things since 2001. We've never resurface them because it's usually the dampener assembly that goes bad. And the manufacturer requires replacement when we put in a new disc and pressure plate. People get a bit bent out of shape when we tell them that they need a $1.200 flywheel to go along with their $300 clutch! Can't say as I blame them.

I put a LUK clutch in my '96 F250 with ZF 5 speed. Could push the clutch in with 2 or 3 fingers, never had it slip. The whole clutch & flywheel was around $400, flywheel was solid 1 pcs cast iron. Took SON and I 3-4 hours to drop Trans with t-case attached and reassemble.

I had the Bellville spring in my '78 F-150 with NP-435 creeper low 4-speed break, clutch wouldn't disengage or completely engage. Transmission shop I took it to did a terrible job, took me 2-3 hours to  check and tighten loose bolts. 

I'd take the ZF-5 over ANY New Process or New Venture trans.  My ZF-5 is sneeking up on 330,000 miles with just 1 clutch replacement and 4-5 oil changes.  I bought my 2018 RAM 1500 because it had the 8-speed ZF auto Trans in it.

Week ago SON & I replaced the rear diff in his 2021 Explorer ST with the 3.5L turbocharged V-6, most state police and local police depths use them for cop cars. SON had his engine replaced around 15,000 miles, the camshaft disabling hardware ate the camshaft, Idiot dealer service tech didn't follow the instructions and replace the seals on intake air plumbing. Around 37,000 miles the rear diff was leaking oil bad, making grinding noises, and at about 65,000 the diff failed again, and Ford had NO replacement diffs, but they still built a couple dozen at the plant in the south side of Chicago every day. Parts guy at my local Ford store gave SON the name & phone number of a Ford dealer with one they got shipped by mistake. Even though it's a LEMON, He's going to keep it. Gotta have 4WD or AWD In Wisconsin. It'll rot away in a couple more years. But I'm DONE with Ford, the dealer SON had the car at was absolutely Terrible, over 4 weeks they had the car and never did a thing to it. The did concoct a $700 bill on it but luckily some manager told them to write a NO Charge Invoice saying they drained & replaced the diff oil and nothing else and the diff was still junk. I'm pretty sure neither SON or I will ever buy another Ford vehicle.  On the F250 & 350 truck rear axles, I find it almost impossible Ford could "heat-treat" those shafts and have them fail. I've been around heat-treat furnaces at FARMALL, and at the steel foundry I worked for a division of, and several other heat- treaters and somebody was careless and mixed up heat- treated and UN-heat-treated parts and they got into truck axles. Just SLOPPY inventory control, that's been a big part of EVERY job I've ever had. You should be able to tell heat-treated from un-heat-treated parts by just tapping them against each other.

20 hours ago, MTB98 said:

A big issue with just having everyone “slow down” for slick roads is that a road designed to handle 100,000 vehicles at 60 mph and is still jammed up during parts of the day will be literal gridlock if the speed is reduced to 30 mph.

'Zactly! What people could do though is to leave a little more space, have a little more situational awareness. It will slightly decrease the road capacity but way better than zero capacity after the inevitable crashes stop the traffic.

The section of I95 I drive to work has had a cable guard strung down the median to catch all the winter spin outs before they end up in the opposite lanes.

I remember well driving a salt truck on route 128, the belt around Boston at 19 years old - chute wide open, straddling two lanes and having some pass me. The smart ones would realize just how slick the ice was and pull in behind me, the dummies would be in the median.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:45 PM, brahamfireman said:

My plan has always been to NOT by new vehicles. Vehicles realy got lame/dumb around 2012-14 time frame when emissions took over, froo froo sissy accessories got popular. 

Or it's just oldmanitus setting in, I'll be 41 Tuesday.....

GM did go under, remember the big government loan, 08 I think it was. they should have just let gmc get bought out by whoever had the money.

GM paid the loan off. the middle class was created after WW2 by the big 3  auto maker, GI bill and the unions, now the middle class is struggling again.

They paid back sh!t. Only 6 billion out of 52 billion was considered a loan in the agreement. The government , unofficially, owns the rest. GM is the modern day Conrail. The people paid the bill, but get no dividends from the taxes used to do it. Paid it off, HA. Go to the bank and try that with your mortgage.

• Like 5

On 9/5/2023 at 6:16 AM, New Englander said:

'Zactly! What people could do though is to leave a little more space, have a little more situational awareness. It will slightly decrease the road capacity but way better than zero capacity after the inevitable crashes stop the traffic.

The section of I95 I drive to work has had a cable guard strung down the median to catch all the winter spin outs before they end up in the opposite lanes.

I remember well driving a salt truck on route 128, the belt around Boston at 19 years old - chute wide open, straddling two lanes and having some pass me. The smart ones would realize just how slick the ice was and pull in behind me, the dummies would be in the median.

One of the best courses I ever took, and with a grin on my face, was the emergency vehicle operations course. This teaches physics and what a vehicle can, and cannot do. Since, I have caught myself getting out of trouble by driving my way out rather than braking. Locking the brakes is a very big no-no. (Now anti-lock brakes) People also fail to realize the ditch is their friend. You can easily drive out or get pulled out, if needed. It is a safe zone.

People do not know, and do not care, what a vehicle can do. They do not know how to tell when a road is icy. And they put their lives and others at risk because they are ignorant. Good people die because of this. If there was ever a place for the government, teaching people how to drive would be a place. If it was up to me, I would teach every kid EVOC. It would make them better drivers.

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

One of the best courses I ever took, and with a grin on my face, was the emergency vehicle operations course. This teaches physics and what a vehicle can, and cannot do. Since, I have caught myself getting out of trouble by driving my way out rather than braking. Locking the brakes is a very big no-no. (Now anti-lock brakes) People also fail to realize the ditch is their friend. You can easily drive out or get pulled out, if needed. It is a safe zone.

People do not know, and do not care, what a vehicle can do. They do not know how to tell when a road is icy. And they put their lives and others at risk because they are ignorant. Good people die because of this. If there was ever a place for the government, teaching people how to drive would be a place. If it was up to me, I would teach every kid EVOC. It would make them better drivers.

Government isn't really interested in making people safe or making better drivers out of them. It is only interested in the money it generates by issuing tags and licenses. Ive seen people at the DMV that literally had to be steered to the eye machine and somehow still got a license. Explain to me how that is saftey orriented.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Government isn't really interested in making people safe or making better drivers out of them. It is only interested in the money it generates by issuing tags and licenses. Ive seen people at the DMV that literally had to be steered to the eye machine and somehow still got a license. Explain to me how that is saftey orriented.

I think about that every time i have to get my DOT physical, how do some of these people pass, i see drivers 200 lbs overweight, deaf, nearly blind, 85 years old, etc etc. but every 2 years i have to go be evaluated, for what? What exactly is a failing grade? 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think about that every time i have to get my DOT physical, how do some of these people pass, i see drivers 200 lbs overweight, deaf, nearly blind, 85 years old, etc etc. but every 2 years i have to go be evaluated, for what? What exactly is a failing grade? 

You said it exactly there. DOT physical. Your average Joe Schmoo doesn't have to deal with it. People falling under the DOT guidelines are not enough of a majority to make Wales and even then the extra loopholes are a money maker for the government. You start throwing your average person in this and Waves are made.

Kinda like needing a DOT endorsement to run a certain size truck and trailer or just a certain weight truck. But weekender can drive a trailer or RV of the same size without squat. You know what? If im hit by the same size vehicle by both a commercial vehicle and someones RV. I gurantee that the same amount of damage will be done. Makes mo sense

• Like 1

What exactly is a failing grade? 

Pretty much anything that would cause you to pass out behind the wheel, not be able to physically operate the controls or see well enough.  I have a friend with a cdl who is 200lbs overweight but has no high blood pressure, diabetes, or anything else wrong. I have another friend who doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, but has had a heart attack, kidney transplant and high blood sugar. We have a guy at work who can't pass the vision test to get a regular drivers license, but has run a mower for 20 years without an incident of any sort.

I call it the verify life test for us old folks, every 4 years we have to show up at DMV for live testing.

I use 4 low all the time. 

At least on my Ford 4 low shuts off the nanny garbage so you can actually drive the truck through mud without the computer shutting you off. 

I've gotten my truck stuck a few times in 4 high because the nanny garbage shut the power off and caused loss of momentum. Hold pedal to the floor and the tires don't even spin. Pretty stupid getting stuck in 4" of mud. Real annoying when towing a trailer through that too. 

There is a "traction control" button, One touch supposed "shut it off" and a long hold done shuts it off fully. Really a pain in the ass when working. I just shift into 4 low now. 

We have a crew condo in Glenwood Springs, CO. The driveway entrance is on a hillside and one snowy night the other guy was driving and turned up hill out of the driveway. I figured we were stuck for sure but the traction control on the rental car was up to it. With the pedal floored we barely moved but did move and climbed the hill. We were both shocked. It seems that in some conditions it really does work. 
I do believe that in mud or sand you probably are better off without it so that’s why there’s a switch. 

• 1 month later...

Agreed most "truck" drivers today won't even notice it's gone.    

4lo is useful and I personally can't see owning a truck without it but I highly doubt I'm the average truck driver.   

On another note Ive been a GM guy my whole life but I like my Ford.   My buddy called it a boomer truck so I named it Boomer lol 

IMG_20231015_134449887.jpg

I have to say, the interior of my Ford sucks compared to… well everything, but it has proven to be poorly constructed, the seats suck and the cup holders are stupid. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

Do the highest trim ones have a good interior? 

Couldn’t say, it would be alright if parts would stop falling off. The seats are rock hard , not immediately uncomfortable, but become so after a while. 

On 9/4/2023 at 11:07 AM, Jake19917561 said:

I think that each company has had good and bad ideas, I mean ford has excellent marketing. The F series is the best selling truck because it’s ran since 1948. It’s comparing international to John Deere or snap on to mac or matco. I will say Coca Cola is better than Pepsi if that debate happens haha. 

If you combine GMC and Chevy Ford wasnt the best seller in some years.

• Thanks 1