Jump to content

Another reason I now drive a Ford


vtfireman85

Recommended Posts

strictly Gm all my life. 

The last shop trucks were 2000 GM 4x4 Sierra 6 litre , 2004 Dodge Powerwagon with Hemi and the current one is a 2014 Ford crew cab 4x4 8 foot box

 The GM was still going . I bought a used tractor tire from a young guy and in the course of our conversation it turned out the truck he hauls used tires with was our old truck with different rims on it. It has had a southern door put on it but original paint with 503,000 kms on it, its had a leak fixed on the transfer case and thats it!

The Power Wagon was a POS- its already scrapped 

 The Ford is a nice truck to drive, but its the most gutless truck I have driven in years, won't get out of its own way

 That old GM has earned my loyality for a longtime yet when it comes to  trucks. 

No description available.

 

 

No description available.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

M

My wife’s 4 runner needs to be put in low range to turn the TC off, then you can go back to high, once you shut the ignition off you start over again. Talk about a PITA.

i havent found a way to turn it off on my subaru 😉 you should have gotten another suby LOL yea yea i know u hatum 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, New Englander said:

Front drive shaft doesn't spin on GM. Shaft is disconnected at front differential when 4WD is not selected.

I agree with the fact that the 1500 is mostly used as a car so there's really no reason for a low range. In addition the transmissions have so many gears now the first few are under drive negating a low range for most users. 2500s and up are still trucks.

doesnt spin on my ford either 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

No interest in manual hubs, when I go for the O.S. Lever (button now) I don’t want to be wishing I had put the hubs in. I also have no desire to destroy tires driving around with them in. Will see how the ford automatic hubs work out, the GM system worked well, didn’t crab nearly as badly as this Ford and was very reliable. 

i think the ford auto hubs are a crappy design, they are vacuum operated, aftera  few yrs, they dont work, i was told that even the spring/mechanical part had to be lubed 1x/yr to keep them working well. I didnt like the thought of having to take them apart and clean/lube them so left mine alone and they quit after about 6 yrs on my 03 F250 - they got so stiff you couldnt turn them with a pair of pliers. I put manual warns on it. Also there is a vacuum pump that runs them and you have to have good seals in the axles to get them to function also. After a few yrs those seals usually give way and or the vacuum pump goes and you are outa business also. Poor design if you ask me for longevity. 

I never attempt anything that looks questionable w/out my hubs locked the rest of the time they are undone.........you get out in the middle of a mud hole 1x and it will train you to think outside the box. 

those ford hubs were over 700/set back in teh day now im sure some after market ones are available but again........20y/o seals/vacuum are probably shot

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Littlefeller said:

Around here there are new Chevys with 500 mile that are rusting away...  New GMs are worse than Scouts ever were.... 

Isnt that crazy you allow your states to ruin your private property with their road "maintenance"?  Here post 1979 chevy are totally fine.  80s fords are bad for some reason.  Sq dodges too.

My 1998 2500 farm truck dont have a tick of rust.  My old 94 neither.  My 05 has a tinge on the rockers but it was fertlizer plant mangers truck which he parked inside the plant daily.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Isnt that crazy you allow your states to ruin your private property with their road "maintenance"?  Here post 1979 chevy are totally fine.  80s fords are bad for some reason.  Sq dodges too.

My 1998 2500 farm truck dont have a tick of rust.  My old 94 neither.  My 05 has a tinge on the rockers but it was fertlizer plant mangers truck which he parked inside the plant daily.  

Its not like the states ask us ( or listen for that matter). 

Plus most the population would rather have clear roads and drive fast than have to take their time and leave early and get home later for 4 or 5 months a year at least. Not saying your wrong. But I would bet you good money if it came to a vote, the plow and drive resposibly on the rest would lose to the treat the roads side. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Its not like the states ask us ( or listen for that matter). 

Plus most the population would rather have clear roads and drive fast than have to take their time and leave early and get home later for 4 or 5 months a year at least. Not saying your wrong. But I would bet you good money if it came to a vote, the plow and drive resposibly on the rest would lose to the treat the roads side. 

It boggles my mind how they are regulating everything to death in the name of protecting the environment and wildlife, yet somehow dumping thousands of gallons a day of that $hit all over the road, to poison trees, run off into the rivers and streams etc etc, is perfectly fine. I was noticing some arborvitae along the road, the road side of it was scorched and toasted brown. All from the salt spray. You watch, sooner or later this will be an environmental crisis. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It boggles my mind how they are regulating everything to death in the name of protecting the environment and wildlife, yet somehow dumping thousands of gallons a day of that $hit all over the road, to poison trees, run off into the rivers and streams etc etc, is perfectly fine. I was noticing some arborvitae along the road, the road side of it was scorched and toasted brown. All from the salt spray. You watch, sooner or later this will be an environmental crisis. 

There is talk of the native corporations suing the state over damage to the salmon fishery here. But that went away

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys have seen my pictures of 50 year old original paint tractors and random small farm equipment.  It’s all nice.  I’m fussy.
And I can’t keep a truck from not rusting after 5-6 years here in NY.

a kid that helps me stack hay bought a 2005 superduty yesterday. His dad thought the box might fall off as they were trailering it home, so they strapped it separate.  Truck has 130 or 140k on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to be honest.  I've had 4 GM trucks (96 & 04 Sierras, and 12 and 15 Silverados) and I don't think I've put any of them since the 96 in 4LO, and that was because we were trying to use it to skid a small building a few feet, and it wasn't heavy enough anyway.  Should have borrowed my Uncle's 806 for that.

Had a local Chevy salesman stop in at work (I work at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram dealer) asked him about a Trail Boss, as I've been thinking about trading my 15 in.  He said MSRP + 10%.   Really???   And the msrp on it is 68k to begin with!!   At that point, why wouldn't someone just go in and order their truck the way they want it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 5088 said:

And the msrp on it is 68k to begin with!!   At that point, why wouldn't someone just go in and order their truck the way they want it?

Because of the wait time most likely. At 68,000 plus 10 % I would laugh at walk out the door. Not interested regardless of the brand. But that's just me. 

Truthfully if your going to do truck stuff a 3/4 or 1 ton is the way to go imo. I know we USED to do a lot with our 1/2 ton trucks. But I'm seeing and reading horror stories about new 3/4 and 1  tons of more than 1 brand breaking/bending frames ect and some of them are not overloaded either. 

Edit. As bad as th 3/4 and 1 tons are, my point being I'm not sure I would expect much out of a half ton anyway at this point. 

But I do agree I would want 4 lo in any 4x4 I had. If nothing else for backing loaded trailers in hilly or bad spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Because of the wait time most likely. At 68,000 plus 10 % I would laugh at walk out the door. Not interested regardless of the brand. But that's just me. 

Truthfully if your going to do truck stuff a 3/4 or 1 ton is the way to go imo. I know we USED to do a lot with our 1/2 ton trucks. But I'm seeing and reading horror stories about new 3/4 and 1  tons of more than 1 brand breaking/bending frames ect and some of them are not overloaded either. 

I agree with you.  And the 68k truck to start with was pretty nice.  Sunroof, leather, etc, alot of stuff I'm not interested in.  I haven't stopped in to look.  It's more of a 'want' than a 'need' anyway.  Hardest work it would ever do is pull a couple snowmobiles. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

know we USED to do a lot with our 1/2 ton trucks. But I'm seeing and reading horror stories about new 3/4 and 1  tons of more than 1 brand breaking/bending frames ect and some of them are not overloaded either. 

I dunno, the frames on the trucks of today are many times the frame of the trucks of yesteryear. Tell me, back in the day, did you ever see a single wheel truck with a tandem dual gooseneck behind it towing 25k ? Of course you didn’t, if you could get it moving you couldn’t get it stopped. We could debate endlessly the merits of older trucks, and they surely had them, but trucks of today have more power to go, more power to stop and the expectations of them have increased many fold. If you had 25k to tow in 1980 you did so with a dump truck. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Red_Man said:

I'll never own another Ferd after they decided to build a battery plant in my community and ruined it!

Dealing with the same situation in a town 15 miles west of me. (Marshall Mi) Folks there didn't want it but the state and some high rollers decided it was going there and to h-ll with what the constituants wanted.

There is recalls and court cases still going on but they were moving dirt before the rezoning meeting happened. That tells me right there that the fix is in because if there was the slightest doubt it wouldn't go through they wouldn't have moved a bucket of dirt until they knew they were in the clear. Things are set that no matter what its a done deal from the looks of it.

Yeah, Ford around this area is a bad word at the moment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I wish Peterbilt would start building pickups.

You can get a custom built Pete pickup.....  There used to be a place l think in Gainsville, Texas that actually got new Pete cabs from the plant in Denton and built "new" Pete pickups.

image.thumb.png.320342f379b6688466338f1de7cb4a1d.png

image.png.4e6553c6d1c52505dc0d0e40c25eba6d.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, davo727 said:

5 grand for F150 tail lights, thats awesome.

most any car parts are more spending now - you cant replaced an led most fixtures they are made to throw away, was talking to friend at church and he said headlights, grills, tail lights, fog lights, anything led is throw away and most of the aluminum or combination there of are replace not repairs so costs have escalated on body work. 

grill, headlight, fender, bumper on 2021 1/2 ton chevy pickup from deer hit was over 10K to repair. 

so many companies being bought out, merged, consolidated, its only going to get more monopoly oriented - people cant afford 80K$ trucks or 100K either 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I could buy a pickup today, the way I wanted it, it would have?

The old school Chevy 5.3 engine with no active fuel management.

The Chevy 4 speed automatic transmissions or a heavy duty 5 speed overdrive manual.

Heavy duty brakes with the controller built right in.

Crew cab, air, heater, tilt, cruise, electric windows/locks, AM/FM radio.

Rubber floor mats with vinyl or canvas seat covers, grill guard to ward off electric vehicles?

Fifth wheel ball with a heavy receiver hitch on the back.

A better grade frame thicker than a recycled Kia.

That's about it. Did I miss anything?

PS: You could change the heater core or evaporator in 15 minutes from under the hood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If I could buy a pickup today, the way I wanted it, it would have?

The old school Chevy 5.3 engine with no active fuel management.

The Chevy 4 speed automatic transmissions or a heavy duty 5 speed overdrive manual.

Heavy duty brakes with the controller built right in.

Crew cab, air, heater, tilt, cruise, electric windows/locks, AM/FM radio.

Rubber floor mats with vinyl or canvas seat covers, grill guard to ward off electric vehicles?

Fifth wheel ball with a heavy receiver hitch on the back.

A better grade frame thicker than a recycled Kia.

That's about it. Did I miss anything?

PS: You could change the heater core or evaporator in 15 minutes from under the hood.

If I were buying brand new bare necessity all I need truck it would be new Chevy cc 1/2 ton 2.7l h.o.

 

Now if money were no object an I could afford a project it would be a GM 8.1L of any year with the 6spd Allison crew cab. Or a 2500 Suburban without the Allison. 4L80E would be built though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...